Photo

Global Virus Activity

• Please log in to reply
696 replies to this topic

#201 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 02:13 PM

at least we don’t have skunks around here(that I know of) my brief stint living in North Vancouver they were everywhere, parts of the year it smells horrible, would keep an anti-skunk concoction on standby in the event I got sprayed. Luckily would usually carry an umbrella with me because it’s Vancouver

Edited by todd, 13 March 2023 - 02:20 PM.

#202 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 13 March 2023 - 03:27 PM

I believe there are no skunks on VI. They can't really swim over, like coons and deer did.

#203 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,870 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 04:04 PM

Even Japan is done with mask mandates.

#204 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 March 2023 - 04:09 PM

They don’t have skunks in Japan.

#205 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 04:27 PM

13 times more babies born with syphilis in Canada over 4 years, data shows

If caught early, an infection can be easily treated with antibiotics. But Tan said that structural inequalities, such as racism and the legacy of colonization, can also "impact people's willingness or perhaps ability to access care at earlier stages — where we can maybe nip things in the bud."

https://www.cbc.ca/r...anada-1.6777406

You had to know colonialism was responsible.   :whyme:

• Nparker, LJ, phx and 1 other like this

#206 phx

phx
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 08:37 PM

FYI: You can register for your spring covid jab now.

This is sure to be the one that gives lasting immunity.

• max.bravo likes this

#207 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 15 March 2023 - 07:13 AM

This is sure to be the one that gives lasting immunity.

Like hepatitis vaccines.  Or HPV, diptheria... influenza.  All those one-and-done shots.  

Got your HIV vaccine yet? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#208 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 08:25 AM

…But Tan said that structural inequalities, such as racism and the legacy of colonization, can also "impact people's willingness or perhaps ability to access care at earlier stages — where we can maybe nip things in the bud."

This will get you tested at LifeLabs for free, this link will get you pass the promo code:

https://getcheckedon...ateAccount.aspx

E6E3319C-BF1B-4F9E-92C5-C1862BB5CD1A.jpeg

Edited by todd, 15 March 2023 - 08:28 AM.

#209 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 08:29 AM

This will get you tested at LifeLabs for free, this link will get you pass the promo code:

https://getcheckedon...ateAccount.aspx

Do you get a cut or a referral fee for every friend you refer in that tests positive?   :rtfm:

#210 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 09:22 AM

Do you get a cut or a referral fee for every friend you refer in that tests positive? :rtfm:

they have to get positive on the full panel.

Everyone check under their tractor seat: YOU GET A FREE venereal disease test!!!, YOU GET A FREE venereal disease test!! and YOU! and YOU!…..

Edited by todd, 15 March 2023 - 09:30 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#211 phx

phx
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 15 March 2023 - 11:42 PM

FYI: You can register for your spring covid jab now.

NB: The spring booster jab is for people who have not had covid. If you’ve had covid, you should have good immunity and are not eligible for the booster.

#212 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 March 2023 - 07:44 AM

NB: The spring booster jab is for people who have not had covid. If you’ve had covid, you should have good immunity and are not eligible for the booster.

Where does it say that?

I'm thinking about all the people who have had COVID multiple times thinking they're safe because they've had previous infections.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#213 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 08:11 AM

The booster only addresses previous strains, so wouldn’t it make sense that if you’ve already had COVID, you don’t need the booster?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#214 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 March 2023 - 11:39 AM

The booster only addresses previous strains, so wouldn’t it make sense that if you’ve already had COVID, you don’t need the booster?

How long does protection from previous infection last?  If you had COVID a year ago, are you going to rely on that to not get it again or reduce the severity of a future infection?  I'll take my chance with the shot.  

I'm I haven't had any boosters yet, so I'll probably hunt down somewhere that is still doing Novavax.

#215 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 11:57 AM

Where does it say that?

I'm thinking about all the people who have had COVID multiple times thinking they're safe because they've had previous infections.

if you could get your hands on that much vaccine, could probably do it once a day multiple times and be just fine*

*VW
  • Matt R. likes this

#216 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 01:54 PM

How long does protection from previous infection last?  If you had COVID a year ago, are you going to rely on that to not get it again or reduce the severity of a future infection?  I'll take my chance with the shot.  

I'm I haven't had any boosters yet, so I'll probably hunt down somewhere that is still doing Novavax.

What if it makes the severity worse?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#217 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 March 2023 - 02:11 PM

What if it makes the severity worse?

You're postulating that vaccines make the severity of infection worse?  Really?  

• Matt R. and Benezet like this

#218 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 02:42 PM

You're postulating that vaccines make the severity of infection worse? Really?

Sure. Look at this:

Examples of vaccine-induced enhancement of susceptibility to virus infection or of aberrant viral pathogenesis have been documented for infections by members of different virus families. Several mechanisms, many of which still are poorly understood, are at the basis of this phenomenon. Vaccine development for lentivirus infections in general, and for HIV/AIDS in particular, has been little successful. Certain experimental lentiviral vaccines even proved to be counterproductive: they rendered vaccinated subjects more susceptible to infection rather than protecting them. - https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC7131326/

Know it all.

#219 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 07:53 PM

Sure. Look at this:

Examples of vaccine-induced enhancement of susceptibility to virus infection or of aberrant viral pathogenesis have been documented for infections by members of different virus families. Several mechanisms, many of which still are poorly understood, are at the basis of this phenomenon. Vaccine development for lentivirus infections in general, and for HIV/AIDS in particular, has been little successful. Certain experimental lentiviral vaccines even proved to be counterproductive: they rendered vaccinated subjects more susceptible to infection rather than protecting them. - https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC7131326/

Hm. Nothing in there about COVID-19 or mRNA vaccines. Maybe cuz it was written in 2008?
  • sebberry likes this

#220 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 08:02 AM

Not all COVID vaccines are mRNA vaccines, though, and I wasn’t speaking to specifically to COVID vaccines, because that’s not what was asked of me.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users