10 replies to this topic

#1 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 May 2021 - 11:06 AM

May 10, 2021

Victoria City Council is seeking resident feedback on proposed changes to boundaries in the following neighbourhoods: Fernwood, Oaklands, Jubilee, North Park, Fairfield, Downtown, Harris Green and Burnside Gorge.

“The intent is to understand where people see themselves living in the city and to align neighbourhood boundaries with that sense of place. For example, there are parts of Fairfield that feel more like Downtown so we want to make sure those feelings are reflected in the neighbourhood map of the city,” said Mayor Lisa Helps. “Ultimately, the residents of Victoria decide, which is why we’re going to go out and ask if our proposed neighbourhood boundaries are right.”

Residents are also asked to provide feedback on other proposed changes such as neighbourhood land use review committee structures for Rockland, Fairfield and Gonzales, neighbourhood merging for Downtown and Harris Green, and merging the north and south Jubilee neighbourhood associations.

In 2019, Council introduced an action to “resolve anomalies in neighbourhood boundaries” in the Strong, Liveable Neighbourhoods section of the City's Strategic Plan. In February of this year, Council held a workshop and made several observations including:

possible reconciliation of geographic anomalies that may fit better in an adjacent neighbourhood
opportunities to better match boundaries with where residents perceive themselves to belong
some village centres are divided between neighbourhoods

The City would like to hear from all residents regarding these proposed adjustments. Engagement is open from May 10 to June 7.

Results pertaining to specific neighbourhooods will be provided to the neighbourhood associations to inform their submission to the City on boundary changes. Full survey results will be included in the staff report to Council in September 2021 and will be made available to the public at that time.

If approved, the changes would be formally adopted and the Official Community Plan and Local Area and Neighbourhood Plans would be amended in 2022.

To see maps of the proposed boundary adjustments, and to have your say, visit: engage.victoria.ca.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 11:31 AM

Does it actually matter what neighbourhood you're in? As far as I'm aware there's nothing restricting Burnside-Gorge residents from being in Oaklands and doing anything within Oaklands a resident could do. The observations don't really feel like they matter at all or in terms of neighbourhood. Why does a geographic anomaly fit better in one than another? Does anyone actually perceive themselves within their neighbourhood enough to care which one they're actually in aside from NParker I guess. Why does it matter if village centers are divided? Again, is there any limits for people from other neighbourhoods that would make this matter? Seems like a weird thing to put effort into. 

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#3 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 May 2021 - 12:25 PM

I no longer wish to identify as a Victorian, can we scoot the municipal border over a bit? :D

• Nparker, Love the rock and A Girl is No one like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#4 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 12:33 PM

I no longer wish to identify as a Victorian, can we scoot the municipal border over a bit? :D

i'd be happy if they moved the saanich border to Bay St from North dairy.  ;-)

#5 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 12:36 PM

We have a public safety emergency and a pandemic.....yet lets focus on moving borders around for no valid reason.

#6 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 12:40 PM

Pandemics and borders go hand in hand.

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 01:13 PM

i'd be happy if they moved the Saanich border to Bay St from North dairy.  ;-)

How about Dallas Road?

#8 marks_28

marks_28
  • 480 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 03:44 PM

Does it actually matter what neighbourhood you're in?

One of the issues raised was joining the boards of neighbourhood associations. For example, if you lived steps from Haultain Corners, but on the south side of Haultain, you’d be in Fernwood, even though you’re right at the main village in the Oaklands neighbourhood. However, only two non Oaklands residents are allowed to join their board. So it could be an issue for residents living between Bay and Haultain waiting to get more involved with the Oaklands Community Association. Although, maybe they could also just amend the bylaws?

#9 Brantastic

Brantastic
  • 924 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 04:02 PM

Another issue is CALUC meetings. Should Fairfield residents be the ones to consult for buildings like Escher on Broughton or Fernwood residents for Nest/Haven or The Wade?

#10 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 04:38 PM

I feel like changing the bylaws would be better. No matter where you put the borders someone will be right on them and may want to be involved with the other over their own.

For CALUC I think that should be distance based not neighborhood. If someone lives in the far north end will they care about something happening at the south more than someone who lives right on the south border just because they happen to live in a arbitrary circle?

#11 kjf

kjf
  • 23 posts

Posted 10 May 2021 - 04:39 PM

Comment on FB, which I believe is a valid point:

“this is a homeless shelter shell game, so she can statistically put shelters right next to each other, and not have "too many" in one neighbourhood. Lisa Helps and council are single minded.”

• Nparker, Midnightly and A Girl is No one like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users