Photo

215 graves at Kamloops residential school | Discussion, news, and what we know so far

• Please log in to reply
1000 replies to this topic

#801 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 04:02 PM

In August, Canada committed more than $320 million toward residential school searches and support for survivors and their families. Miller said that amount is "likely not enough."

Trudeau said the funding announced Wednesday will be followed by "more phases and more funding," but did not specify how much.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-2022-1.6402011

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 March 2022 - 04:02 PM.

#802 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 04:08 PM

IMO real reparations would begin by separating from the crown. Money is just more bribery, cronyism, and kicking the can... The fundamental reality is under our own laws they are their own nation/nations, there are no real treaties since even the Douglas Treaty is a peace treaty not a land title treaty. This is where we are now. We can't fix the past. How do we move forward as an integrated country, nation to nation? 

#803 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 04:17 PM

We can’t function with 600 “nations” within our country, that are almost completely supported by our welfare payments.

Both sides have to agree to that reality. It’s not likely to happen soon.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 March 2022 - 04:18 PM.

#804 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 04:41 PM

We have been existing as separate nations. But the bribery does need to stop. Just like amalgamation here there is nothing good that will come from unification UNDER one government anyway. Especially the Canadian one.  

They can maybe join the Haudenosaunee confederacy out east or form their own. This structure is what they based the US constitution on. A union of nations not one nation. It worked for them for thousands of years. 

#805 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 04:44 PM

How can it work when most of those nations have become almost completely dependent on the support payments though? Almost none of them have any functioning economy outside of Canadian government transfers.

If you can point me towards a similar, successful system anywhere else in the world, I’m happy to examine it.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 March 2022 - 04:46 PM.

#806 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 05:09 PM

How can it work when most of those nations have become almost completely dependent on the support payments though? Almost none of them have any functioning economy outside of Canadian government transfers.

If you can point me towards a similar, successful system anywhere else in the world, I’m happy to examine it.

This is describing the results of all that has happened so far. It is not a prescription of the future. They must adapt and rebuild. Some are. This is why you will be seeing more development partnerships with different bands. Like this partnership with the Tsawout First Nation in Saanich. They issue the license, not the province. 

https://vancouverisl...g-off-1.5775564

The United States is such a system is it not? 

#807 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 05:15 PM

^ I suspect that seaweed operation is based in the territorial waters to skirt regulation that would exist elsewhere.

So in that respect it’s not much different than gaming, tobacco, mobile home pad leases, and fireworks sales.

Not a great economic base.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 March 2022 - 05:15 PM.

#808 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 05:31 PM

^ I suspect that seaweed operation is based in the territorial waters to skirt regulation that would exist elsewhere.

So in that respect it’s not much different than gaming, tobacco, mobile home pad leases, and fireworks sales.

It's a start. It is and it's not so much skirting regulations. They are not under provincial regulations. So instead of a contract with the province they have a contract with the band which was probably a LOT easier to arrange. But yes, similar to the other ventures. 

#809 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 05:32 PM

Provincial water plant harvesting regulations:

https://www2.gov.bc....lant-harvesting

I agree, likely easier to arrange and probably lower royalty fees.

But it would probably be better in the long run if a company owned by FN ran the operation. Rather than them leasing the rights.

I don’t know. It’s not an easy situation, we’ve had the existing system so long, and the record of education on-reserve is so abysmal I’m not sure they are graduating many businesspeople.

More than 90 per cent of non-Indigenous Canadians in their early 20s have a high-school diploma. The graduation rate for Métis Canadians is not far behind, at 84 per cent. For First Nations people living off-reserve, it’s 75 per cent. But according to a recent C.D. Howe Institute study, among First Nations Canadians in their early 20s living on a reserve, only 48 per cent have finished high school. The graduation rate for Inuit Canadians is similarly low.

https://www.theglobe...om-high-school/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 March 2022 - 05:39 PM.

#810 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 05:42 PM

Provincial water plant harvesting regulations:

https://www2.gov.bc....lant-harvesting

I agree, likely easier to arrange and probably lower royalty fees.

But it would probably be better in the long run if a company owned by FN ran the operation. Rather than them leasing the rights.

I don’t know. It’s not an easy situation, we’ve had the existing system so long, and the record of education on-reserve is so abysmal I’m not sure they are graduating many businesspeople.

The start is the partnership. Gain the expertise. Maybe expand it to other areas. etc etc. They need to start from scratch in many ways while keeping hold of their traditional knowledge and culture. 

Our education isn't graduating many businesspeople either  :banana:

#811 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 06:20 PM

Having “sovereign” nations within a sovereign state can never and will never work. Canada is the authority; all attempts at reconciliation, like traditional territory acknowledgements, are disingenuous virtue signalling.

Every time I hear someone give a traditional territory acknowledgment, I think they should follow it up with “…but these are empty words because I currently occupy this land and I have no intention of surrendering it back to the First Nations.”
  • spanky123 likes this

#812 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 06:22 PM

Well, as Dasmo said, the US states system might be a model. Of course that’s only 50, not 600.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 March 2022 - 06:23 PM.

#813 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 31 March 2022 - 07:48 AM

I tend to agree, especially when you read warnings from scientists about introducing a dominant species into a new environment (ie farmed salmon).

Watching kelp grow: Cascadia Seaweed and Tsawout Nation partner in burgeoning seaweed industry - Capital Daily

While Cascadia touts the potential benefits of its project, some experts say that more research is needed before kelp farming can be ramped up to a mass commercial scale—and that even then, as with monocultures on land, any form of agriculture implemented on an industrial scale poses risks to the environment.

#814 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 31 March 2022 - 07:51 AM

The start is the partnership. Gain the expertise. Maybe expand it to other areas. etc etc. They need to start from scratch in many ways while keeping hold of their traditional knowledge and culture. 

Our education isn't graduating many businesspeople either  :banana:

I agree that economic development is the best path for everyone going forward. The problem however is that "sovereign" claims works against that.  Few businesses want to enter into partnerships or banks want to loan to those partnerships when there is uncertainty over legal jurisdiction. A new council is elected and they decide that your lease is invalid and they want to take over your operation and what are you going to do about it? What court is going to hear your claim?

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#815 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 31 March 2022 - 10:49 AM

I agree that economic development is the best path for everyone going forward. The problem however is that "sovereign" claims works against that.  Few businesses want to enter into partnerships or banks want to loan to those partnerships when there is uncertainty over legal jurisdiction. A new council is elected and they decide that your lease is invalid and they want to take over your operation and what are you going to do about it? What court is going to hear your claim?

This is why I say they are starting from scratch. Making these regulations is what that particular partnership has started.

Our own government has shown blatant disregard for it's laws. Including seizing assets because our ruler's ego was bruised. A new jurisdiction might be very desirable actually. 

If they get their act together I would immigrate. 

#816 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 31 March 2022 - 11:09 AM

Except your race might exclude you from living on that nation.

Jonathan Kay: The one place in Canada where racism is still tolerated: native reserves

Having embraced the notion that one’s bloodline dictates ones rights (a notion dismissed as racist in every other context of public discussion and policy formation), Canadian liberals have been forced to accept its noxious corollary — which is that the presence of white people in the midst of reserves comprises a sort of cultural pollutant.

https://nationalpost...c500667685/amp/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 March 2022 - 11:11 AM.

#817 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 31 March 2022 - 11:27 AM

Except your race might exclude you from living on that nation.

Jonathan Kay: The one place in Canada where racism is still tolerated: native reserves

Having embraced the notion that one’s bloodline dictates ones rights (a notion dismissed as racist in every other context of public discussion and policy formation), Canadian liberals have been forced to accept its noxious corollary — which is that the presence of white people in the midst of reserves comprises a sort of cultural pollutant.

https://nationalpost...c500667685/amp/

For now. Just wait until they get to writing their own immigration legislation. Race was excluded in the original Indian Act. It was just about "how you lived". 

The clan mothers selected a chief from that bloodline. A chief can be fired. The chief was to be the speaker of the people NOT their ruler. If they failed in their duties the clan mothers could replace them. One reason the bloodline was a requirement was due to preparations. For instance, out east, the great law of peace (their constitution) was handed down via the oral tradition. Everyone can't be brought up the same way so they specialized.... 

Now let's look at this compared to the Trudeau bloodline.... 

#818 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,852 posts

Posted 04 April 2022 - 06:01 AM

Louie said the Catholic Church has to follow the apology with “actions.”

“There are ripple effects of the schools that still exist,” Louie said. “A lot of it it is the behaviours that come with alcoholism, health issues and the loss of identity. People are suffering in silence and pain or they are shouting out for help.”

He said a visit from the pope and a meeting with survivors is the next meaningful step, but the church’s response should be “sustained” into the future with financial supports for First Nations “for the losses of culture, language, family … and the loss of one’s self.”

Louie said the church should be responsible for supports to mental wellness of survivors as well as addictions, family parenting issues and economic development.

https://www.timescol...sential-5228354

#819 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 04 April 2022 - 07:07 AM

On July 1, 2021, roughly a month after the Tk’emlúps te Secwe̓pemc announced the probable discovery of 215 graves at the site of the former Kamloops Indian Residential School, Emily Luba and her twin sister went to St. Jude’s Parish [Vancouver], and were seen by two witnesses throwing orange paint onto the church.

“The (police) were able to trace the paint left at the church back to Home Depot, where it was determined that the accused’s sister had purchased paint,” the ruling says.

Emily Luba, 27, was charged with mischief for the damage to the church. She had no prior criminal record. She was also charged with mischief in relation to an earlier protest at Polaris Realty Canada Ltd. in April 2021. The Crown had sought a suspended sentence, which would have left Luba with a criminal record, and a 12-month probation order that would have seen Luba perform 40 hours of community service.

Luba, Rideout notes, has worked as a front-line workers assisting those affected by homelessness, poverty, addiction, mental health, and trauma. This, along with a number of character references and what Rideout describes as a “heartfelt and genuine” apology for her role in the Polaris and St. Jude’s protest, were mitigating factors.

“I think of the church congregation who felt scared to worship due to the fear of escalating actions after I covered their church in orange paint. The congregation is composed of people, mostly elderly, none of whom are to blame for residential schools,” said Luba in her apology.

Luba will need to pay a fine of $1,250 regarding both protests, write a 500-word apology letter to the congregation and complete 40 hours of community service.

- https://nationalpost...-to-congregants

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#820 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 04 April 2022 - 07:34 PM

^^Just keep the money rolling in.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users