Photo

Canada Day in Victoria, B.C.

• Please log in to reply
233 replies to this topic

#101 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 07:08 AM

^ Only white people are settlers though. 

• A Girl is No one likes this

#102 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 07:42 AM

I have personally never been called a settler.

If anyone wants to share......... have you personally been called a settler? Who called you that? What was the reason?

I have only seen  written examples of the use of the word settler. 

#103 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 07:45 AM

If anyone wants to share......... have you personally been called a settler? Who called you that? What was the reason?

So if I only use racist language in print and not to your face that makes it ok?

• Nparker, LJ, Love the rock and 1 other like this

#104 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 07:52 AM

I have only seen written examples of the use of the word settler.

In public service, it’s often expected that we introduce ourselves as settlers / uninvited guests in some meetings (if white and of European descent).

#105 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,007 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 07:56 AM

In public service, it’s often expected that we introduce ourselves as settlers / uninvited guests in some meetings (if white and of European descent).

Yep and the person who arrived from a non-white country last week is an invited guest!

Edited by spanky123, 31 January 2022 - 07:57 AM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#106 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 08:12 AM

I would quit before I would ever refer to myself by the racist term, "settler".

• Love the rock likes this

#107 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 08:36 AM

I’m seriously considering it….

#108 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 08:37 AM

Yep and the person who arrived from a non-white country last week is an invited guest!

And more Canadian than “the settlers” as per Trudeau.

#109 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 08:38 AM

Fortunately, I am getting out before the PC madness spreads any further.

#110 A Girl is No one

A Girl is No one
  • 2,495 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 08:40 AM

Fortunately, I am getting out before the PC madness spreads any further.

Good for you… but what will happen to government if only those SJWs remain?

#111 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,711 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 08:43 AM

I have to say, I don't really care what happens anymore.

• Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#112 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 10:13 AM

That's totally a settler thing to say.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#113 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 12:17 PM

If it was suggested to me  that I should introduce myself as a settler I would refuse and if it was written in any policy I would challenge that policy.

#114 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 01:04 PM

That's totally a settler thing to say.

I do not know what you mean by this.  I was seeking out information from people who have direct experience

with the term and obviously feel very strongly about how the term is used.

I said I have not been called a settler and being described as one I would not mind.

Intent and context are important. If it is meant as an insult I would mind and want to know why.

Are you putting me in a box that you define and decide who fits in it?  Not appropriate.

Is it intended as a direct or indirect insult or putdown? Intentions matter often as much or more so than words.

I have speculated on some possible meaning and intent. Since your intent or meaning is not clear to me

can you clarify and expand on what you mean. I am leaning towards a negative assumption but it is often a good move to ask for clarification

before jumping to conclusions.

Saying it was meant as a joke and I do not have a sense of humour is a lame an unacceptable excuse.

#115 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 01:17 PM

If it was suggested to me  that I should introduce myself as a settler I would refuse and if it was written in any policy I would challenge that policy.

I would have to ask why you would be asked to announce yourself as a settler to begin with?  Is it a white person asking you to call yourself a settler?  If so, what is their agenda?

I remember the first time I distinctly heard someone introducing themselves as a settler. I was at a meeting that was an open call for Indigenous artists to discuss decolonizing the art world.

What am I supposed to do now? Offer you some sympathy? 

It almost feels like a turning of the tables, whereby in calling yourself a settler in shame, am I the one who is to feel the white guilt? Are you trying to match some sort of intergenerational privilege to my intergenerational trauma? I don't want to trauma bond over here. 

https://www.cbc.ca/n...r-pov-1.6151582

#116 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 01:20 PM

Jan 29 is the new holiday anyway. Convoy to your the capital, week long street party. Freedom Day. Will be celebrated all over the world and it started in Canada!  :banana:

#117 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 01:53 PM

Please don’t quit refuse introduce yourself as a settler too . 

#118 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 02:11 PM

I simply provided information about the partnership between the harbour authority and the partnership they indicate on their website. This is one reason as to why the harbour authority would consult the the local first nations on this issue.

https://gvha.ca/

You are bringing up racist terms that others are using ,rubbing salt in open wounds . What’s your  agenda ?

#119 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,507 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 02:21 PM

I do not know what you mean by this. I was seeking out information from people who have direct experience
with the term and obviously feel very strongly about how the term is used.

I said I have not been called a settler and being described as one I would not mind.

Intent and context are important. If it is meant as an insult I would mind and want to know why.

Are you putting me in a box that you define and decide who fits in it? Not appropriate.
Is it intended as a direct or indirect insult or putdown? Intentions matter often as much or more so than words.

I have speculated on some possible meaning and intent. Since your intent or meaning is not clear to me
can you clarify and expand on what you mean. I am leaning towards a negative assumption but it is often a good move to ask for clarification
before jumping to conclusions.

Saying it was meant as a joke and I do not have a sense of humour is a lame an unacceptable excuse.

What gives you the right to tell me what I can think an acceptable excuse is or isn’t?

Are you deciding what fits into the box of permissible excuses for other people? Not appropriate.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#120 Moderation

Moderation
  • Suspended User
  • 364 posts

Posted 31 January 2022 - 03:46 PM

I would have to ask why you would be asked to announce yourself as a settler to begin with?  Is it a white person asking you to call yourself a settler?  If so, what is their agenda?

I have never been asked to introduce myself that way. A Girl is No one made the comment. I responded what I would do under that circumstance.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users