Posted 17 October 2007 - 06:47 AM

Rob do you ever sell your poster art?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#22 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 October 2007 - 06:07 AM

Yes, all poster art is for sale, $5.00 for each 11x17 poster.

Check out the rest at: http://www.picturetr.../rrillustration

#23 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 March 2008 - 02:23 PM

Theatre Inconnu's new play is out. It's starring two of the actors who got rave reviews for last year's "The Caretaker" and it's written by the same guy that wrote and directed the current hit movie "In Bruges".

THE PILLOWMAN
by Martin McDonagh

March 13th ~ 29th 2008

"Comedies don't come any blacker than The Pillowman, the spellbinding stunner of a play by Martin McDonagh.....what The Pillowman is about, above all, is storytelling and the thrilling narrative potential of theater itself. Let's make one thing clear: Mr. McDonagh is not preaching the power of stories to redeem or cleanse or to find a core of solid truth hidden among life's illusions. And he is certainly not exalting the teller of stories as a morally superior being."
- The New York Times

Show dates:
Half price ($6) preview:
Wednesday, March 12th at 8 pm. (NO Pre-sale tickets!)
Then:
Wednesday through Saturday evenings
at 8 pm until March 29th
*There will be “Pay-what-You–Can” admission
on Wednesday, March 19th at 8pm (NO Pre-sale tickets!)
*There will also be two Saturday afternoon matinees
on March 22nd, and March 29th at 2pm
*There will be no show Friday March 28th
Ticket prices: $10 & $12

WARNING: GRAPHIC LANGUAGE AND VIOLENCE!

Theatre Inconnu is wheelchair accessible.
Information and reservations: 360-0234
Email: tinconnu@islandnet.com

#24 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 23 March 2008 - 12:37 PM

The Pillowman is being held over until Apr 5th.

I'd recommend it to anyone who hasn't seen it already.

#25 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 March 2008 - 03:07 AM

Yes, including one more Saturday matinee. If you've never seen live local theatre before you'll be glad you checked it out.

For more info, look up "Theatre Inconnu is proud to Present THE PILLOWMAN by Martin McDonagh" on Facebook.

#26 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 07:11 PM

The Pillowman
by Martin McDonagh

Continues at Theatre Inconnu
Held over until April 5th !

Don’t miss out! There are still seats available for all performances.

“Dark, funny and thought-provoking... the cast does a standup job... excellent performances all around... laughs so dark and dry they’ll make your nose bleed... A night of fantastic performances... don’t miss it.”
Monday Magazine

“There are no weak links in this production . Those who enjoy tough, smart theatre... will find this production thought-provoking and funny. It will rank as one of the standouts of the season.”
Times Colonist

“Quiet, reflective, dramatic, explosive... strong performances... a dream cast... definitely worth seeing... challenging, engaging.”
CBC Radio

#27 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 02:16 PM

World Telekinesis Competition

May 16 to June 14, 2008
Opening Friday, May 16, 7 to 10pm

Deluge Contemporary Art
636 Yates Street
Victoria, BC, Canada

The 2008 World Telekinesis Competition is a first if its kind event, in which teams from around the world compete to psychically influence the behaviour of a candle. Players are not expected to be physically present during during competition, but rather will compete remotely from their home locations around the world. The World Telekinesis Competition is an open event, and all teams who satisfy the submission requirements have been included in the competition.

Project Statement

The 2008 World Telekinesis Competition brings together teams from disparate geographic locations to enact their own visions of telekinetic potential in competition with one another, with the ultimate aim of crowning a singular winning team. The winning team will receive a trophy as well as bragging rights, both of which will -- eventually -- be returned for next year's competition. The first of a yearly series of competitions, the 2008 World Telekinesis Competition is open to artists, psychics and otherwise interested parties who are willing to engage with the competitive framework according to which this tournament will proceed.

Telekinesis -- the remote psychic influence of object behaviour -- has a history of controversy and provocation. Neither proven or dis-proven, the possibility of remote psycho-kinetic influence remains active as a potentially relevant force within our current modalities of understanding. We invite explorations into possible strategies for telekinetic influence -- not stated, but enacted through competitive interaction with other like-minded teams. Stated otherwise, our mission is not to explore rhetorical strategies for telekinetic participation but rather to assess the relative merit of any given method of psychic influence by its equally relative efficacy in a competitive structure.

Competition Structure

The 2008 World Telekinesis Competition follows basic competitive rules for multi-team events. Based on an assessment of the number of participating teams, a preliminary competition structure was randomly determined, in which two teams will compete remotely to psychically influence the behaviour of a game candle. The winning team will advance to the subsequent round while the losing team will be eliminated. This competition structure will continue until only one team is remaining. This team will be crowned the winner of the 2008 World Telekinesis Competition.

Selection of Teams

Noxious Sector Artist Collective -- in collaboration with Deluge Contemporary Art -- composed and disseminated an international call for submissions for the 2008 World Telekinesis Competition. Teams responded to the call for participation on an international level, resulting in the 28 teams comprising the tournament.

About Noxious Sector

Noxious Sector is a formalized forum for informal inquiry. Dedicated to the exploration of questions of the imaginative, the paranormal and the absurd, Noxious Sector attempts to redefine the meaning of artistic possibility through extended propositions that challenge consensual norms while also provoking stimulating forums for dialogue and discourse.

http://www.noxioussector.net

http://www.deluge.ws

Deluge Contemporary Art
636 Yates Street, Victoria, BC, Canada V8W 1L3
250 385 3327 delugeart@shaw.ca www.deluge.ws

#28 Zimquats

Zimquats
  • 299 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 03:05 PM

O
M
G
!

#29 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 10:31 PM

Hahaha! Excellent! Go Deborah!

#30 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 19 November 2008 - 01:39 PM

A good blurb about our great local comedy troupe, Atomic Vaudeville, currently appearing in Toronto. See here.

#31 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 April 2009 - 09:09 PM

I've donated a piece. Hope you'll drop by.

---
RPM: The Lost Art of LP Covers

A Fundraising Show & Sale

April 10 to 25, 2009
Opening: Friday, April 10, 7pm

Deluge Contemporary Art
636 Yates Street, Victoria
Exhibition Hours: Wed to Sat, 12 to 5 pm

Remember the LP cover? Two square feet of eye-popping, groin-stirring, world-rocking graphics, titles, and liner notes rolled into one precisely measured object of desire? Well it's back! Featuring the work of more than 70 artists, Deluge Contemporary Art presents RPM: The Lost Art of LP Covers from April 10 to 25 at the Yates Street gallery.

This 11th edition of RPM -- the largest ever -- will feature the work of 75 local, national and international emerging and established artists employing a variety of concepts to interpret this endangered species in a wide range of media. These creations will go on sale to the public for $45 each at the the gala opening on Friday, April 10. The exhibition and sale continues through Saturday, April 25.

Long a local and national bastion of the forward-thinking contemporary art scene and the producer of the Antimatter Underground Film Festival, Deluge Contemporary Art has produced over 180 exhibitions and shown over 1,600 local, national and international visual and media artists to an audience of more than 300,000 since its inception in 1991.

If you missed the boat in passed years, here's an opportunity to honour a disappearing medium and help a worthy cause.

Phone: 250 385 3327

Deluge is on Facebook! Join our Facebook group for regular updates and event information:
http://www.facebook....gid=55830682212

#32 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 February 2010 - 11:39 AM

A recent Robert Amos arts review in the Times Colonist has rubbed some arts people the wrong way:

http://thephart.blogspot.com/

#33 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 938 posts

Posted 14 July 2010 - 04:08 PM

There's a ton of good theatre in town right now.

I highly recommend Blue Bridge Theatre's production of A Streetcar Named Desire, at the Macpherson Playhouse until July 18. Thea Gill really captures the dignified fragility of Blanche DuBois. Plus, you don't get many chances to see a classic performed here – on a stage, as it was originally intended. The TC gave it 4.5 stars.

Another show I love is the Good Timber, at the Royal BC Museum. It's not so much a play as a musical revue, with top-notch performers such as Colleen Eccleston and John Gogo, performing original songs based on the poetry of an old BC logger, accompanied by BC Archives photos and film clips of the forestry industry at work. If you're a history buff like me, it's well worth taking in. Runs until August 28.

Disclosure: I have friends in both shows. Benefit: you can get $5 off for admission to Good Timber by using the coupon uploaded here.

#34 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:30 PM

Opening this Friday:

RPM: The Lost Art of LP Covers

Time :Friday at 7:00pm - March 5 at 5:00pm
Location; Deluge Contemporary Art
636 Yates Street
Victoria, BC

Opening Friday, February 18, 7 to 10 pm

"The art of the record sleeve, remixed and remastered by more than 50 artists.

Remember the LP cover? Two square feet of eye-popping, groin-stirring, world- rocking graphics, titles, and liner notes rolled into one precisely measured object of desire? Well, the infamous RPM fundraising exhibition is back by popular demand.

RPM features the work of 50+ local, national and international emerging and established artists employing a variety of concepts to interpret this endangered species in a wide range of media. These creations will go on sale to the public for $45 each at the the gala opening on Friday, February 18th. The exhibition and sale continues through Saturday, March 5th."

Exhibition Hours: Wed to Sat, 12 to 5 pm

Here is my contribution:

#35 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 15 February 2011 - 08:42 PM

Cool.

#36 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:19 AM

Waddington Alley mural a sweet addition to Old Town

By Robert Randall • Published on Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Pedestrians cutting between Yates and Johnson Streets may be doing a double-take as they see what appears to be an elaborate ceramic crest gracing the east-facing wall of the International Youth Hostel.

Actually, the three metre high blue and white mural is made entirely of sugar icing and was installed over the weekend by Saskatchewan-born and Montreal-based artist Shelley Miller.

more...

#37 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:52 PM

more...

Nice to see all the walls painted - good choice of background colour. Now, as for the mural. I love it. One problem about it is that Portuguese ceramics have absolutely no link to Victoria, and I'll have to chew over that, but it is a gorgeous surprise to come upon it, I bet (haven't been down that alley in a week, and look what happens!).

As for the disintegrating nature of the work - I sort of get what she's saying, but you know, I think its self indulgent. It is a good piece of art! She should actually ask for a real commission from the developer before the condo association finds a reason to disapprove it. The bit about disintegrating art makes sense for Haida totem poles and for chalk art on sidewalks. It would be a great idea for a big wall somewhere where someone could put up a huge colourful mural and watch it change into something else as the rain and weather do their work. But for this one - I'd like to see it stay.

That alley had my favorite piece of graffiti, that was 'protected' and treasured for many years. It was a stencil of a white feather with words that said "Imagine a Blue Feather". A wonderful piece of iconography it was, and it feels like a treasure that myself and selected others who remember it know that they are entrusted to have known it.

Sounds like I'm arguing against myself, but I don't think so.

I'd be interested in having the artist herself weigh in on this discussion.
Pieta VanDyke

#38 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 10:16 PM

One problem about it is that Portuguese ceramics have absolutely no link to Victoria

I think you're missing the big picture, pardon the pun. True, Portuguese ceramics aren't the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Victoria, but it is true the Portuguese have had a long history in this region, from the time of George Vancouver to the immigration boom of the mid-century which saw a strong local community that would come to include Nellie Furtado. Secondly, Victoria is a colonial town and of course Portugal was once known as a major world power and colonizer on a wide scale. Although the Portuguese never colonized this region the subject of colonies and colonizers is fascinating.

More importantly, who cares if it has no obvious local content?

I'm picturing if Picasso traveled to Victoria. The locals look at his paintings and cry, "where's the totems? The orcas? The double-decker buses?" before sending him back to Spain on the next steamer.

I hate to think Victorians are so insecure they can't contemplate art that doesn't have CanCon. Where you see a problem, I see an opportunity to see something beyond a few inches in front of my face.

As for the disintegrating nature of the work - I sort of get what she's saying, but you know, I think its self indulgent.

I think all art is somewhat self-indulgent, going back to the first artist who was able to convince his fellow cavemen that he had the ability to create a hotline to the gods.

She should actually ask for a real commission from the developer before the condo association finds a reason to disapprove it.

The use of fragile sugar is the foundation of her art. The disintegration in my opinion echoes the passage of time while reminding us of Western countries' insatiable appetite (up to half a cup a day according to some) of refined sugar. Making the mural permanent muddies the message.

The mural is actually on the hostel building. They are among the sponsors, along with the Market on Yates/Millsteam which donated the sugar.

#39 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 31 March 2011 - 11:55 PM

more...

When I posted my earlier comments on the Waddington Alley "mural", I didn't realize that it was made of sugar. I don't think that Rob put that detail in his article. I take back my words. Went to look at it tonight, and I really like it. But very sad to see that it is not dissolving in the way anyone expected. Someone went to the effort of chiseling out several of the "tiles", leaving a large retangular blank space in the middle of the medallion.

I guess this is what happens when it is located across the street from a bar. Or it might be people who are actually taking chunks home in order to get a free source of sugar (seeing how folks stock up at the coffee bar at Our Place, this might actually be whats going on).
Pieta VanDyke

#40 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 01 April 2011 - 06:03 AM

When I posted my earlier comments on the Waddington Alley "mural", I didn't realize that it was made of sugar. I don't think that Rob put that detail in his article.

the three metre high blue and white mural is made entirely of sugar icing

It's a shame pieces are missing this early before most could see it in its entirety.
But that's the nature of the piece. The unexpected is part of Miller's art as well, you see. Like the past piece that was ordered destroyed because they were attracting wasps in the summer! Or the one that was destroyed simply because it was on a the regular route of a city graffiti-removing truck and its high-pressure hose. This is all part of the documentation that makes up her work along with regular extreme-resolution photos. The "performance" will continue until there is no trace left of it.

Miller's mural may have fallen victim to Victoria's legendary cheapness. If a sign was put beside it saying "sugar tiles one dollar" it would probably be untouched.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users