FIFA World Cup and soccer discussions

• Please log in to reply
419 replies to this topic

#21 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 04:00 PM

Premier John Horgan has given soccer fans a glimmer of hope that there might be FIFA World Cup games played in British Columbia when the world-class tournament comes to North America in 2026.

During an interview on Donnie and Dhali The Team on CHEK TV, Premier Horgan said that Melanie Mark, Minister of Tourism, Art, Culture, and Sport, was currently working on the bid to get games scheduled in Vancouver.

British Columbia initially bowed out of hosting any FIFA games during the 2026 World Cup back in 2018, but had a reinvigorated interest in 2021 after Montreal dropped out of being a host city.

“This is not 2018, we’re going into a period where we need to use our spectacular facilities,” Horgan said during the interview, outlining that BC Place — the province’s largest stadium — has virtually sat empty for the past two years since the start of the pandemic.

https://www.cheknews...rld-cup-951434/

BC Place — the province’s largest stadium — has virtually sat empty for the past two years since the start of the pandemic.

???

Other than BC Lions and Whitecaps games (which it did have this year), what else ever goes on in there?  The odd big trade show and the even more rare super-concert (U2, Stones).

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 07 February 2022 - 04:01 PM.

#22 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 07 February 2022 - 09:35 PM

Premier John Horgan has given soccer fans a glimmer of hope that there might be FIFA World Cup games played in British Columbia when the world-class tournament comes to North America in 2026.

During an interview on Donnie and Dhali The Team on CHEK TV, Premier Horgan said that Melanie Mark, Minister of Tourism, Art, Culture, and Sport, was currently working on the bid to get games scheduled in Vancouver.

British Columbia initially bowed out of hosting any FIFA games during the 2026 World Cup back in 2018, but had a reinvigorated interest in 2021 after Montreal dropped out of being a host city.

“This is not 2018, we’re going into a period where we need to use our spectacular facilities,” Horgan said during the interview, outlining that BC Place — the province’s largest stadium — has virtually sat empty for the past two years since the start of the pandemic.

https://www.cheknews...rld-cup-951434/

???

Other than BC Lions and Whitecaps games (which it did have this year), what else ever goes on in there?  The odd big trade show and the even more rare super-concert (U2, Stones).

Rugby Seven's for one which is wildly popular; and although I haven't lived there since 2001 when I was slumming around the wilds of YVR there were plenty of trade and exhibition shows every year including sports & collectables shows, boat shows, classic car and autorama's, RV and "outdoor" shows, home shows etc etc,

#23 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 February 2022 - 01:19 AM

If Canadian football continues on its current trend (women top-notch, men quickly getting there) then sooner or later we're going to need a decent "national" stadium - our version of Wembley or Azteca - for our national teams teams to play their home games in, and for the CPL championships etc.

BC Place can't be it unless they can find a way to grow real grass in there; the game was not meant to be played on fake turf.  Commonwealth Stadium in Edmonton is, I think, also a fake-turf field.  BMO Field in Toronto could suit but it'd need twice the seating it has now.

#24 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 03:47 PM

Good on the Canadian men, truly an outstanding achievement, especially in relation to where we were just eight years ago - 

https://www.tsn.ca/c...kings-1.1757635

#25 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 03:49 PM

That’s a serious move up.

#26 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 04:23 PM

Yup a move up was anticipated with at least one analyst report I read guessing "33", as some of the higher ranked nations in the 40-30 range had lost some key matches but one never knows as FIFA like the IOC certainly has its 'politics' as well. The nations that always impress me with consistently top 10 rankings year in and year out are Denmark, the Netherlands and Belgium. For countries with tiny populations relative to the giants in the sport such as Brazil, Germany, Italy, England, Spain etc that is truly remarkable considering the much larger population pools those countries can draw on.

#27 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 04:28 PM

That guy that kicked and punched his cats is unlikely to make a World Cup team.

https://www.nbcnews....g-cat-rcna15671

#28 m3m

m3m
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 06:09 PM

. The nations that always impress me with consistently top 10 rankings year in and year out are Denmark, the Netherlands and Belgiun.

They’ve got big money.

#29 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 10 February 2022 - 07:44 PM

They’ve got big money.

As of 2016 the top national team/federations in terms of deep pocket/finances were England, France, Brazil, Portugal and Spain. The Netherlands was 7th, Belgium 10th and Denmark 16th. Italy, Argentina and Germany rounded out the remaining Top 10 highest financed soccer federations.

#30 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 10 February 2022 - 10:16 PM

It's their main sport. They don't pour tons of money into anything else. Unlike here, where its our, what 3rd to 5th ranked?

#31 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 09:10 AM

In so far:

https://en.wikipedia...Qualified_teams

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 03:51 PM

Does the host nation get an automatic in or something?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#33 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Yes.

#34 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Interesting.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#35 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 11 February 2022 - 05:18 PM

Suffice it to say FIFA like the IOS is an extremely political animal as one can see simply by reviewing the history of which World Cup tournaments were awarded to which continent. or nation, and when. Ultimately the selection process evolved to where the host nation automatically qualifies; whether they should be there on merit is another question entirely of course. One cannot easily picture Qatar overcoming Brazil, Belgium. Spain or England but there you have it....

In the winter Olympics this resulted in a great debate leading up to 2022 whether the Chinese men's hockey team should participate given that it will be surely vaporized by the titans in the sport as they have little to no history with ice hockey.

Their inclusion was only confirmed a few weeks before the start of the games given how controversial the subject was, And sure enough in their first game they were clobbered 8-0 by the US which like Canada sent, at best, its "D" team made up of US college and minor pro players from Europe, due to the decision by the NHL not to send its best players. One can only imagine what the Canadian 'A' team with Connor McDavid, Sidney Crosby and Nathan McKinnon et al would do to China had we sent it. It would have been a massacre of biblical proportion.....

#36 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 February 2022 - 12:41 AM

I thought the defending champions got in automatically as well - I'm sure that used to be the case, but doesn't seem to be now.

Were it up to me the defending champs would get an automatic spot but I'd rethink the auto-qualify for the host.

Edited by FogPub, 12 February 2022 - 12:42 AM.

#37 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,586 posts

Posted 12 February 2022 - 05:29 PM

I thought the defending champions got in automatically as well - I'm sure that used to be the case, but doesn't seem to be now.

Were it up to me the defending champs would get an automatic spot but I'd rethink the auto-qualify for the host.

You are correct that used to be the case from 1938 until 2002 but was withdrawn from the 2006 WC onward. Brazil, the WC winners in 2002, were the first defending champions to play qualifying matches.

• FogPub likes this

#38 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 01:52 AM

PARIS:
Russia's future in the World Cup teetered on a knife-edge Monday after FIFA plans to allow them to play on neutral territory were dismissed as "unacceptable" by rivals, plunging the qualifying process for football's showpiece event into chaos.

_______

However, after three days of silence, they stopped short and ordered Russia to play home internationals at neutral venues where their national flag and anthem would be banned.

Russian teams would be known as the Football Union of Russia.

However, within minutes of the announcement, the Polish FA insisted they would not play Russia in a scheduled World Cup play-off, regardless of the venue.

"Today's FIFA decision is totally unacceptable," tweeted Polish FA president Cezary Kulesza.

"We are not interested in participating in this game of appearances. Our stance remains intact: Polish National Team will NOT PLAY with Russia, no matter what the name of the team is."

Poland are due to play in Moscow on March 24 with the winners to host either the Czech Republic or Sweden five days later.

https://tribune.com....fifa-plan?amp=1

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 February 2022 - 01:54 AM.

#39 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 February 2022 - 02:38 AM

Thing is, if Poland refuse to play they'll forfeit the game to Russia; and if (is it Czech/Sweden playing for the other berth in the next game?) also refuse to play Russia they'll also forfeit, meaning Russia gets a free pass into the World Cup.

And I'm not at all convinced FIFA have the cojones to kick Russia out entirely, or declare their match forfeit to Poland.

#40 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 28 February 2022 - 04:43 AM

Poland certainly would forfeit if the game was still scheduled.  The hope is here that Russia is disqualified now, that FIFA takes a bigger step.

Quite frankly it might be easier politically for FIFA to eject Russia at least conditionally now, than have them possibly gain a World Cup spot through non-waring countries being forfeited out of the tournament.

I think this is actually a much easier decision than say Olympics, where you trash the hard work of amateur athletes in the 3 or 4 years leading up.  Ejecting Russia just means a few multi-millionaires can't play this time.  They will all still play their 20+ club league games this year and pocket their normal salaries.  Few, if any of them play or live in Russia.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 February 2022 - 04:50 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users