Photo

Missing Middle Housing Initiative (MMHI) in the City of Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3521 replies to this topic

#681 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 04:27 AM

The housing crisis has been dragging on for ~70 years but until today nobody had ever considered more government involvement as a possible remedy. Kudos to Eby for being innovative enough to think outside the box.

Just what we need, Lisa as housing czar delivering the same quality service as we get in health care - lots of service for MLAs and their friends but not so much for everyone else aside from footing the bill.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#682 JimV

JimV
  • 1,308 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 07:18 AM

It sounds pretty good.  All incomes, all abilities nestled together in cozy 6-plexes (electrically heated to fend off climate change) scattered throughout the older neighbourhoods.  Perhaps a few clusters of temporary tiny home encampments on oversized back yards and parks.  What could possibly go wrong.

#683 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 07:54 AM

On paper, it also sounded good to close down mental health facilities and integrate the severely mentally into the larger community.  :whyme:

• Seechelle1969 likes this

#684 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 07:57 AM

It was more of a legal issue, to be fair.

The courts decided the threshold to institutionalize someone was too low, and ultimately it was decided to shut down facilities like Riverview.

I think we also had a similar facility at Eric Martin, where residents were free to head out into town but had to return in the evening. Was that the case?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#685 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 08:09 AM

^ I think you will find that in days of old, there were some residents that were not permitted to leave their ward.

#686 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 08:17 AM

Yes, absolutely. But did EM have a similar operation to Riverview?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#687 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,141 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 08:26 AM

^ Not sure. I had a family member reside in EMI for a time, but I’m not familiar with Riverview.

#688 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,013 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 09:19 AM

I worked at the EMP off and on, never heard about the patients being allowed to leave on their own. They were there all day, every day as far as I could tell. Obviously patients come and go. Some were there temporarily while they balanced new meds.

Never got too chummy with them, and it was a hard place to work.

#689 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 09:21 AM

I know a few people who used to work there, and there were different wards based on the level of illness/instability. The stories from there, let me tell you.

So what happened to the marginally difficult to manage occupants at EMI? Were they just released back into the general population?

Know it all.

#690 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 09:22 AM

So what happened to the marginally difficult to manage occupants at EMI? 

screenshot-www.google.com-2022.08.09-13_22_20.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 August 2022 - 09:22 AM.

#691 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 09:23 AM

My apologies for apparently being the catalyst that took this thread off-topic. Mea culpa:(

#692 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 11:15 AM

We all know there's a desperate shortage of physical space that requires drastic zoning changes in order to address the undeniable emergency... but then again we still have empty spaces like this one tucked away on the side streets...

Come on, this property could easily accommodate dozens of apartment/townhouse units with a large area leftover for a new-and-better park or playground. Not to mention the old elementary school building/property on the other side of the creek, which represents an impressively inefficient use of space.

#693 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,852 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 11:25 AM

This area alone can easily house 15,000 people.

screenshot-www.google.com-2022.08.09-15_18_36.png

#694 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 11:32 AM

Everyone seems to be forgetting the inherent racism of single family housing. This must not be allowed to continue! 

#695 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 12:05 PM

Everybody seems to be forgetting the underdeveloped lots, the empty lots, and the surface parking lots. That's why I've surreptitiously been advocating for the slogan: "Never forget all the things you've forgotten". (But please forget you heard me say it.)

Seriously though, nothing betrays the insincerity of efforts related to the housing issue or environmental issues or any issue quite like these elephants-in-the-room that people want to ignore.

But aastra! If you put townhouses on that empty property it would ruin the neighbourhood! It would be preferable to tear down the houses all around that empty property and put townhouses there instead.

• Mike K., Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#696 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 12:09 PM

Says Mr. pro-development mouthpiece stooge of developers. (The evil kind of developer, I mean. Not the good kind.)

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#697 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 12:28 PM

In a sane reality the powers that be would be incentivizing and fast-tracking redevelopment in areas like that, where the transformative impact would be 100% positive and where the redevelopment process wouldn't be so controversial or such a drawn-out slog.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#698 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,672 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 12:30 PM

When the citizenry is at odds with each other bad government is able to flourish.

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#699 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 12:51 PM

They're manipulating new/young buyers into thinking there's something sensible about the expectation to purchase in a desirable & established SFD neighbourhood in Fairfield or Gonzales. (But not in Oak Bay, right? This noble mission to house people just terminates abruptly at the Oak Bay border?)

The upper Douglas area could be great if the right kind of redevelopment were to happen over many years. Back in the day that's how the process worked for anyone who wasn't flush with cash. You started off by buying in an area that wasn't currently desirable, but over time it would change and improve.

• Nparker likes this

#700 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 12:52 PM

^like the rest of the CoV?

Need I remind you guys what James Bay was like up until the 70s? Or Vic West up until the 90s? Or Fernwood up until the 00s?

Remember what Langford was an eye-roll dogpatch?

When Colwood was a gravel pit with a commercial strip?

When Sidney was full of drunken fishermen?

When Esquimalt was worse than Compton?

Our parents bought in those places, when they sort of sucked. Now the 20-somethings say watch out at council meetings, we'll get you millionaire homeowners when you're real old, for being millionaire scumbags with everything handed to you.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users