Photo

Missing Middle Housing Initiative (MMHI) in the City of Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3521 replies to this topic

#701 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 01:00 PM

You don't need to remind me. The family started out in JB back when it had no cachet (I mean back when James Bay had no cachet, not back when the family had no cachet).

But they also vacated way too soon. If they had held on instead of cashing out they would have made a big gain when James Bay eventually regained its cachet. But their missed gain was somebody else's gain, so it's all good.

#702 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 01:03 PM

This is how it's supposed to work. Areas go through their natural ups and downs.

#703 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 01:06 PM

My first house was in VicWest. I used to call it the nicest Sh*ty neighbourhood in the world. It was where I could afford to buy. The talk of privilege in this discussion is just so Ironic when the university kid makes it sound like the idea of buying in Langford is soo gross and beneath them. 

• Nparker, Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#704 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 01:12 PM

I used to call it the nicest Sh*ty neighbourhood in the world.

Mike K.'s old stomping grounds. By coincidence I've been known to refer to VV headquarters as the nicest sh***y office in the world.

• dasmo likes this

#705 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 01:22 PM

I sold my house for bottom dollar to someone who would love it. That's how much I loved that house. My first son was born in that house. Missing middle will destroy it. 

#706 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 02:04 PM

If it gains any momentum you have to think it would hasten the destruction of old houses rather than the restoration of old houses. So much for reduce, reuse, and recycle...

• Nparker likes this

#707 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 August 2022 - 02:07 PM

Mike K.'s old stomping grounds. By coincidence I've been known to refer to VV headquarters as the nicest sh***y office in the world.

VVHQ is all in the cloud now.  It's heavenly. 

• Mike K. and aastra like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#708 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,962 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 02:08 PM

If it gains any momentum you have to think it would hasten the destruction of old houses rather than the restoration of old houses. So much for reduce, reuse, and recycle...

New rules dictate it’ll be job-creating hand destruction though.

With electric chainsaws at worse.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 09 August 2022 - 02:11 PM.

#709 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 02:42 PM

VVHQ is all in the cloud now.  It's heavenly.

I don't know, the bricks-and-mortar-and-marble HQ was pretty sweet. Heaven would probably beat it by a fair bit, don't get me wrong. But did you ever see that fancy espresso machine in the antechamber leading to Mike K.'s office? When an espresso machine requires its own 24/7 security detail you know it's next-level fancy. (I'm referring to Mike's daily office on the 17th & 18th floors of the Redwood Building, not his "ceremonial" office at the old campus.)

#710 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 03:03 PM

It was indeed the nicest shitty office in a shitty Burnside-Gorge frontier that now every developer from Vancouver wants to build in, suddenly called the innovation district or something.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#711 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,028 posts

Posted 09 August 2022 - 09:56 PM

^like the rest of the CoV?

Need I remind you guys what James Bay was like up until the 70s? Or Vic West up until the 90s? Or Fernwood up until the 00s?

Remember what Langford was an eye-roll dogpatch?

When Colwood was a gravel pit with a commercial strip?

When Sidney was full of drunken fishermen?

When Esquimalt was worse than Compton?

Our parents bought in those places, when they sort of sucked. Now the 20-somethings say watch out at council meetings, we'll get you millionaire homeowners when you're real old, for being millionaire scumbags with everything handed to you.

We always called it Esquompton and said of Sooke, “where the men are men, and the sheep are nervous” or “its not the end of the world, but you can see it from there”. Things sure do change.
  • max.bravo likes this

#712 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 02:44 AM

Nowadays, a lot of the antagonism is projected by relative newcomers, who think Vic West is bourgeois and Fernwood is Haight Ashbury circa 1969. They don’t even have a clue what it was like growing up here, and how looked down upon Esquimalt or Vic West or Burnside Road were by anyone east of Shelbourne.

I’ve told you guys my young immigrant friend bought himself a downtown presale condo last year. Hard work and determination bought it for him. This guy arrived with a few savings in his pocket and worked his way up to homeownership in just a few years.

But he currently lives in a dump. Works every overtime shift he can at his average job requiring no post-secondary credentials, and has friends who told him he -can- make it. And he did.
  • Teardrop likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#713 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 03:07 AM

…and said of Sooke, “where the men are men, and the sheep are nervous”...

And now that title is firmly Salt Spring’s.

Thanks, truckers.
  • Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#714 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 06:04 AM

Stirling’s Twitter is off the wall. There’s some serious mojo happening between Housing Twitter and Stirling.

If you dig deep enough you’ll also see Discord posts relating to how Twitter posts should be structured about Janice Williams, to reference her waterfront home as a strike against her.

- https://twitter.com/...QM4aZWRY2OlLZIg

For all the talk of understanding and sympathy, compassion and tolerance, have a read through the above and see just how much anger is manifested there. It’s not a good thing, and falls short of advocating violence against those with differing opinions. I mean today it’s people deflating tires, tomorrow is it going to be damaging people’s homes?

Know it all.

#715 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 06:19 AM

He is just stoking the flames of us vs them. I have no respect for his form of “journalism”. Maybe if he had his sites on the UN and other globalist NGOs that are driving this agenda forward by influencing decision makers at the most local levels. But he is just doing his job of directing attention towards rooting and hating.

#716 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 06:26 AM

Or should I say misdirecting

#717 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,962 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 06:28 AM

What difference does it make where the idea comes from? Why would you expect a local initiative? Do you actually expect these people or the politicians to be creative?

From bike lanes to climate change to housing first to harm reduction to missing middle, these are not local born ideas.

But the local politicians and some of the public has bought into it. I’m not sure blaming the UN or NGOs makes any sense.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 10 August 2022 - 06:31 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#718 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 06:28 AM

Maybe we -should- see how much rooting and hating is happening?

Ultimately every law, every agenda and every idea is generated elsewhere. Whether or not the UN is pushing for MMI as a tenet of its housing policies is moot, as there are other organizations equally as motivated to push the same agenda.

So what ends up happening is you fall down a rabbit hole on one issue and decide to focus your efforts on the UN, then you spot a derivative from a Davos meeting, then it’s a BRICS nations policy, then it’s ultimately a product of something else, and suddenly it’s a nebulous quagmire your listeners can’t relate to.

Then where do you stop?

If the issue is local, the most effective thing is to shed light on local personalities and organizations backing the platforms or ideas. Because the UN can’t physically write new bylaws or alter zoning.

Know it all.

#719 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 06:31 AM

I see Watcher and I cross-posted.

The issue is local, and requires local coverage. The UN doesn’t even know what a Victoria, BC is.

Know it all.

#720 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 10 August 2022 - 06:40 AM

Lisa is a member of the Forum of Mayors, a UN org, has stated explicitly that number 11. Sustainable Development Goals from the UN agenda 2030 “inspire” her and she gave a talk at this years UN conference at habitat for humanity. The missing middle is being driven by the sustainable development goals through the Congress Of new Urbanism. It is the exact same plan being rolled out all over Canada and the US at the same time. That IS the story. That it ISN’T local. Focusing on those for it because they called him an asshole and then just slinging mud back at them does nothing to help people re-focus on working together to stop this agenda driven policy making and actually find real solutions

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users