Missing Middle Housing Initiative (MMHI) in the City of Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3521 replies to this topic

#2161 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 07:56 AM

West shore was a boondoggle of planning. But it’s improving.
The reason the bones of Victoria are so good is because it was developed around pedestrian principles. I am fully on board with these notions. See Government street thread. But I smell a rat when the think tanks spew out a catchy phrase and then all the puppets start repeating it and when you think about it for a few minutes past the platitude it makes no sense…
Like the missing middle that isn’t missing.
  • GaryOak likes this

#2162 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 08:00 AM

This sounds familiar:

While many cities have implemented policies along the 15-minute city concept, disagreement remains over whether the model benefits residents. Georgia Pozoukidou and Zoi Chatziyiannaki write in the journal Sustainability that the creation of dense, walkable urban cores often leads to gentrification or displacement of lower-income residents to outlying neighborhoods due to rising property values; to counteract this, Pozoukidou and Chatziyiannaki argue for affordable housing provisions to be integral to FMC policies.[5] Further, price increases, like those associated with gentrification, could be harmful to marginalized groups like people with disabilities, forcing move-outs.[46] Similarly, as the concept's origin is largely European, critics[who?] have argued that implementing the model could be colonialist and perpetuate harm to marginalized communities.[47]

- https://en.m.wikiped.../15-minute_city

It’s a good concept when you’re wealthy, and can afford a $500,000 1BR condo, but these communities become exclusive when put into practice. Look at new townhomes, Premier Eby spoke of $500,000 townhomes if Victoria adopted MMHI. Do we see any of those coming online? I see lots of $800k+ inventory coming online, on the low end.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2163 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 08:04 AM

If I'm correct our views on this subject are more alike than dissimilar. Where we diverge is at 15 minute cities and missing middle being conspiracy theories.

#2164 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 08:08 AM

This sounds familiar:

- https://en.m.wikiped.../15-minute_city

It’s a good concept when you’re wealthy, and can afford a $500,000 1BR condo, but these communities become exclusive when put into practice. Look at new townhomes, Premier Eby spoke of $500,000 townhomes of Victoria adopted MMHI. Do we see any of those coming online? I see lots of $800k+ inventory coming online, on the low end.

People and corporations will always charge what they can get and to make profit.  Not sure how a municipality or any government for that matter, can keep prices down when people are willing to pay more and more.  Pretty sure the market will drive it all.

#2165 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 08:10 AM

If I'm correct our views on this subject are more alike than dissimilar. Where we diverge is at 15 minute cities and missing middle being conspiracy theories.

Who said they are conspiracy theories?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2166 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 08:11 AM

People and corporations will always charge what they can get and to make profit. Not sure how a municipality or any government for that matter, can keep prices down when people are willing to pay more and more. Pretty sure the market will drive it all.

Yes, dad, that’s how it works.

Don’t forget governments, though.

Know it all.

#2167 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 08:13 AM

Another example of gentrification that people don't often think of is when the suburbs expand out into farmland and rural forested areas. Where once there were just trees and fields there is now a massive development away from any other infrastructure. Which pushes up your property taxes and may force you to sell if you can't afford the increase. Gentrification happens everywhere I just think it's best if it happens in cities.

#2168 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 08:18 AM

Another example of gentrification that people don't often think of is when the suburbs expand out into farmland and rural forested areas. Where once there were just trees and fields there is now a massive development away from any other infrastructure. Which pushes up your property taxes and may force you to sell if you can't afford the increase. Gentrification happens everywhere I just think it's best if it happens in cities.

My property taxes out in the forest are about 40% of the property taxes at my mum’s house in the City of Victoria.

They’re cheaper by a magnitude of thousands of dollars annually. If I was forced to sell due to cost, I would be moving out of the CRD, not back into the city.

Whoever told you that high property taxes are forcing people out of the suburbs was fibbing.

Know it all.

#2169 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 08:20 AM

My property taxes out in the forest are about 40% of the property taxes at my mum’s house in the City of Victoria.

They’re cheaper by a magnitude of thousands of dollars annually. If I was forced to sell due to cost, I would be moving out of the CRD, not back into the city.

Whoever told you that high property taxes are forcing people out of the suburbs was fibbing.

By thousands?  LOL....  But you complain when there is an accident on that road and you want a second option.

Edited by Ismo07, 14 March 2023 - 08:21 AM.

• Matt R. and lanforod like this

#2170 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 08:22 AM

I remember when my parents had to sell their house on lands end that was in my family before the road was built, our property taxes kept rising do to all the multi-millionaires moving in around us gentrifying the place with their waterfront estates.

Edited by GaryOak, 14 March 2023 - 08:23 AM.

#2171 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 08:23 AM

It’s not that funny.

Know it all.

#2172 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 08:25 AM

My own lived experience

#2173 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 08:31 AM

I remember when my parents had to sell their house on lands end that was in my family before the road was built, our property taxes kept rising do to all the multi-millionaires moving in around us gentrifying the place with their waterfront estates.

The property tax rates in North Saanich are lower than in the City of Victoria, though.

Where were your parents displaced to?

Know it all.

#2174 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 08:40 AM

By thousands? LOL.... But you complain when there is an accident on that road and you want a second option.

It’s a provincial highway, and property taxes relate to municipal services/costs.

Know it all.

#2175 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 08:50 AM

The property tax rates in North Saanich are lower than in the City of Victoria, though.

Where were your parents displaced to?

Yeah that seems odd...  Rich people don't raise property taxes...

It’s a provincial highway, and property taxes relate to municipal services/costs.

Yes that's true...  More access leads to higher population, which will lead to more services and leads to higher taxes.   Really your taxes are thousands less than your moms...  

#2176 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 08:52 AM

Yes, it’s a $2,800 difference.

Know it all.

#2177 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 08:57 AM

Yes, it’s a $2,800 difference.

Ok saying that's thousands, though sure literally there is more than one, is kind of pumping it up a little...

#2178 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,516 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 09:01 AM

Ok saying that's thousands, though sure literally there is more than one, is kind of pumping it up a little...

Pardon?

Know it all.

#2179 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 09:19 AM

Like it wasn’t only two weeks was a conspiracy theory?

#2180 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 14 March 2023 - 09:20 AM

Again, more government overreach at play here. How can one expect them to fix the problems they create?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users