Photo

Missing Middle Housing Initiative (MMHI) in the City of Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3516 replies to this topic

#2421 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 07:45 PM

If I lived in Rockland I would not put up with this crap.

What would you do?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2422 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 17 May 2023 - 01:31 AM

I’d have a councillor or two work on getting a permanent, more attractive arrangement installed.

#2423 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 17 May 2023 - 05:57 AM

True. Might as well demand our cage have golden bars.
  • aastra likes this

#2424 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 17 May 2023 - 09:01 AM

At least it's a proper curb.

attachicon.gif screenshot-www.google.com-2023.05.16-13_30_08.png

If I lived in Rockland I would not put up with this crap.

I don't find those obstacles, or the ones on Richardson, very challenging... about the same as a speed bump.

• dasmo likes this

#2425 Dr.Doinglittle

Dr.Doinglittle
  • 102 posts

Posted 17 May 2023 - 09:18 PM

I lived on Belton in the late 90s. Those concrete barriers were there back then.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#2426 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 18 May 2023 - 02:33 AM

I lived on Belton in the late 90s. Those concrete barriers were there back then.

Yes, it's ridiculous.  The City has money to make bike lanes and plazas all up and down Vancouver Street but they can't or won't make a proper curb here.

• Nparker likes this

#2427 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 24 May 2023 - 12:26 PM

I already mentioned this parking lot on Princess Ave. So here's another central property just off Fort Street which further illustrates the insincerity of the missing middle agenda, and the contradictions between the various agendas. Housing is a precious commodity except when it isn't. Cars are bad except when they aren't. Green space is essential except when it's irrelevant.

Whenever the system loudly claims to be warring against something, you can be certain it's not actually doing what it claims to be doing.

• Nparker and dasmo like this

#2428 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 10:26 AM

Small Victoria house with killer view soars past $3M as market surges

Greater Victoria real estate market sees huge sales jump

https://www.vicnews....-market-surges/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 June 2023 - 10:26 AM.

#2429 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 10:35 AM

Huge sales jump? Sales eclipsed May of 2022 by 14 units.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2430 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 10:36 AM

It’s Campbell, he loves the hyperbole.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 June 2023 - 10:36 AM.

#2431 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 10:26 PM

Victoria will start identifying its policies that are getting in the way of building multi-unit homes in the city.

Council on Thursday passed a motion tasking staff to start tracking city policies that disincentivize new attached homes compared to building brand-new single-family homes. Staff will bring that list of policies to a meeting in the coming months for council to discuss.

Alto added that some of the work spurred by the motion will overlap with a review of the missing middle initiative. Staff in September are set to provide an update on proposed changes to that policy, which looks to boost the supply of smaller multi-unit homes across the capital.

“I’m not convinced that it’s going to produce anything near the result I had hoped for,” Alto said on May 31 of the current version of the missing middle initiative.

https://www.vicnews....lti-unit-homes/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 June 2023 - 10:27 PM.

#2432 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 10:28 PM

Who could have possibly predicted that politicians were wrong.
  • Nparker and Matt R. like this

#2433 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 04:12 AM

The province appears ready to join California, Oregon and Greater Toronto in experimenting with near-universal upzoning. But officials at the Union of B.C. Municipalities, which represents the province’s mayors and councils, are in talks to make sure the NDP government knows what it’s getting into.

https://vancouversun...9d8615fd23/amp/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 June 2023 - 04:13 AM.

#2434 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 05:05 AM

Take the backdrop for Eby’s missing-middle announcement in April — a 34-unit townhouse and apartment development called Wilson Commons. It was built in 2021 across four single-family lots, replacing two duplexes, one single-family home and a vacant lot.

A three-bedroom, two-bathroom townhouse in that development was recently listed for $999,000 — in a city where the average price of a single-family home is just under $1 million. Opposition parties were indignant that a townhome in that price range was held up as an example of the policy’s promise.

https://www.timescol...ly-lots-7094862

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 June 2023 - 05:06 AM.

#2435 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,239 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 06:43 AM

How about they just stop sending everyone letters each year telling them their houses are worth $200,000 more than last year. That’s probably the biggest impact there is on house prices. It’s not a reflection it’s a manifestation.
  • Matt R. and Victoria Watcher like this

#2436 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 06:46 AM

Hold on, the average for an SFD -regionally- is $1.3M. It’s likely $1.5 to $1.6M in the City of Victoria.

Good data is important. This is twice this week we’ve seen data misrepresented by the local media, earlier BP said May’s home sales were a massive increase (14 more sales is not massive) and now the TC says an average SFD is under a million dollars in the CoV.
  • GaryOak likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2437 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 06:52 AM

How about they just stop sending everyone letters each year telling them their houses are worth $200,000 more than last year. That’s probably the biggest impact there is on house prices. It’s not a reflection it’s a manifestation.

I don’t think an average home is seeing $200,000 increases on an annual basis.

We have too much hyperbole in the housing debate. Some guy on Facebook is saying it costs $200,000 to build a house in Victoria, and he should know because he’s a contractor. Another guy proved it, by linking a manufactured home in Cranbrook listed for $400k.

The solution to all of this is quite simple. Drop the UCB and stop pretending the ALR is a serious designation in urban environments, cut the tax on building products, get rid of the land transfer tax, and let the suburbs flourish. Anything short of that is just paying a seamstress to resew the same dress.
  • phx and Matt R. like this

Know it all.

#2438 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 06:55 AM

In any event, it was only a year or two ago said we'd get $500,000 townhouses.

#2439 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 06:57 AM

The solution to all of this is quite simple. Drop the UCB and stop pretending the ALR is a serious designation in urban environments, cut the tax on building products, get rid of the land transfer tax, and let the suburbs flourish. Anything short of that is just paying a seamstress to resew the same dress.

That's a very effective shield though.  Metchosin has been using it for decades.

Metchosin farmer Robin Tunnicliffe had been working as a tenant farmer for 15 years in Saanich while she looked for land to buy. But with prices continually climbing, she couldn’t afford to do so.

“I’ve never really thought it was going to be possible for me to put down roots,” she said.

She got lucky. Bob Mitchell, who ran Sea Bluff Farm in Metchosin, was looking to line up a successor. He reached out to Tunnicliffe after he read her book on sustainable farming. She first came on to help Mitchell a decade ago and has since taken over operations.

That’s a rare occurrence.

Tunnicliffe, 48, said most farmers her age can’t afford high land prices and if farmers looking to retire don’t have children who want to take over or some other arrangement, there’s a real risk the land may go unfarmed.

From 2011 to 2016, the total number of B.C. producers fell from approximately 29,000 to 26,000 and the average age of primary operators rose to 56 years, according to the Ministry of Agriculture, Food and Fisheries.

The effects of that trend are already starting to materialize, Tunnicliffe said.

https://www.oakbayne...tchosin-farmer/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 June 2023 - 06:58 AM.

#2440 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 04 June 2023 - 06:58 AM

That's a very effective shield though. Metchosin has been using it for decades.

Metchosin doesn’t have much that much ALR. It’s mostly pure zoning and restrictions that inhibit housing.

Central Saanich has the most of any municipality for its share of land mass, and is building more housing per capita than most of the CRD.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users