Missing Middle Housing Initiative (MMHI) in the City of Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3521 replies to this topic

#81 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 06:46 AM

Ismo is going to explode when he reads this thread.  Good thing it's a Friday.   :wave:

#82 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 06:47 AM

There are always tenants looking for parking in there because their unit didn’t come with a stall.

For most people who drive to work it works out. You leave by nine, return when parking is free or just pay $2 until it is.

Yes, tenants, not owner-occupiers. Tenants are stupider and just happy to snag a rental.

#83 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 06:48 AM

For most people who drive to work it works out. You leave by nine, return when parking is free or just pay $2 until it is.

Do they work 7 days a week?  Or are they happy to pay $15/day each Sat/Sun/days off?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 May 2022 - 06:48 AM.

#84 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 06:49 AM

Owners too. Owners tend to make a bigger deal out of it, by bolding words like “OWNER-OCCUPIER IN NEED OF PARKING.”
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#85 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 06:51 AM

Do they work 7 days a week? Or are they happy to pay $15/day each Sat/Sun/days off?

I guess so. Now paid Sunday parking is relatively new, right, so that was never a thing back in the day. There is more competition for in-building parking than ever before for that very reason.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#86 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 06:52 AM

I suppose on Saturdays and Sundays they can drive to the mall, to charge the car.  Or because they can't afford to pay for parking on Sat/Sun, they will be forced to "go to work" to get the car off the street.  So that will also help with the workers shortage.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 May 2022 - 06:53 AM.

#87 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 06:54 AM

I think most will just park at the View Street parkade.

Know it all.

#88 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 06:59 AM

Ismo is going to explode when he reads this thread.  Good thing it's a Friday.   :wave:

ISMO will be happy. With renters having to park in parkades because there is no parking on site then ISMO can claim that parkade usage is at an all time high and the downtown is again safe and vibrant :-)

#89 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 07:03 AM

In Langford the new highrise that just completed includes parking with every suite: https://victoria.cit...ntown-langford/

For someone who requires a car, they are now going to think long and hard about being in downtown Victoria and finding parking in addition to their unit, or just moving out to Langford.

Know it all.

#90 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 07:04 AM

In Langford the new highrise that just completed includes parking with every suite: https://victoria.cit...ntown-langford/

For someone who requires a car, they are now going to think long and hard about being in downtown Victoria and finding parking in addition to their unit, or just moving out to Langford.

In Central Saanich the homeless housing has lots of parking.

#91 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 07:06 AM

And I don’t mean that just because of one building, I’m speaking to the overall trend.

Is downtown destined to become a place where a certain demographic is shut out, simply because they need a vehicle? That may not be financially wise for Victoria.

Know it all.

#92 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 07:08 AM

In Central Saanich the homeless housing has lots of parking.

We’ve also talked about this before in another thread. Government projects tend to have significantly higher parking ratios, knowing that not having parking is an obstacle for workers.

I don’t know, therefore, why Victoria is so nonchalant about it if BC Housing et all are not.

Know it all.

#93 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 07:14 AM

Is downtown destined to become a place where a certain demographic is shut out, simply because they need a vehicle? That may not be financially wise for Victoria.

Cars are not allowed in Amsterdam yet they seem to be doing fine. Oh wait, there are lots of cars in Amsterdam!

Downtown is destined to become a place where a certain kind of people live. You know, the type of place where people fly business class to Europe to present at a zoom session to lecture us on how wasteful we are. 

• aastra and GaryOak like this

#94 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 07:21 AM

Here's a dose of reality:

The rate of vehicle ownership in the Capital Region has increased to its highest level since 2001 and is eclipsing population growth, according to results of the Capital Regional District’s (CRD) 2017 Household Travel Survey.

The volume of vehicles compared to residents on the south Island rose from 68.9 vehicles for every 100 residents in 2011 to 70.3 in 2017, an increase of 22,500 units (or 9.7%). Over the same period population growth was 7.49%.

According to Malatest Market Research, which conducted the survey on behalf of the CRD, 255,300 vehicles are now situated on the south Island while the population (calculated for the purposes of the survey) totals 363,300.

The survey’s findings show just over half (50.1%) of local households now have at least one vehicle for every resident, a jump from 47.4% only six years prior.

And then there's this:

The number of insured vehicles on Vancouver Island is increasing at nearly twice the rate of population growth, according to the most recent insurance data compiled by ICBC.

Between 2012 and 2016 the number of insured passenger automobiles (including hybrid and electric variants), commercial vehicles, motorhomes, and motorcycles/mopeds on Island roads jumped 7.63% to 632,570 from 587,799 (a net increase of 44,771-units). The Island's population growth over the same period was in the vicinity of 4.5%.

Despite the increase, Vancouver Island's accumulation of vehicles is well below the provincial average of 10.5%, including Metro Vancouver’s rate of 11.18%.

Know it all.

#95 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 08:17 AM

It’s only a small core in Amsterdam where there are no cars. But they have huge parkades just outside and many options into the core. Boats, trams, bikes. If memory serves me right even then there are networks throughout with tight car access. I remember arriving with a car 30 years ago and dumping it ASAP. It was a rental with the plane ticket. It was a serious liability in Amsterdam. But the no car zone was pretty much all walkable especially with it’s radiating circles away from the train station design. We aren’t Amsterdam by a long shot!

#96 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 08:45 AM

^ The difference between us and the woke Dasmo is that we have actually been to Amsterdam and not just read stuff on leftist blogs.

I certainly didn't notice any significant car free zones downtown although like most European cities there were plazas that long ago had been converted from vehicle use. Restaurants and shops still need supplies and they aren't been hiked a km in backpacks or the baskets of their bicycles.

• Mike K., Nparker and dasmo like this

#97 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 09:05 AM

Not their perceived problem at the time.

There are some properties that abuse on-street parking, leading to problems. Now the City is blessing this form of abuse, by having no qualms over adding vehicles to the street.

My only take-away is this is moving the CoV towards a payment regime for residential streets.

When I lived in Fairfield this was very evident. Every street spot was taken at all times. It looked like a single family residential area but in fact it was all multi family. I think it is odd not one is building a parking facility. If I had big bucks I would probably do that. I remember years ago reading about a parking spot in NY going for $70k. Make it a strata like building. Lower floors parking upper floors general storage. Sell them all and them the people can rent if they like. The strata has a built in security and maintenance team. Make it tall enough to fit a camper van.... 

• Mike K. likes this

#98 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 09:10 AM

^ The difference between us and the woke Dasmo is that we have actually been to Amsterdam and not just read stuff on leftist blogs.

I certainly didn't notice any significant car free zones downtown although like most European cities there were plazas that long ago had been converted from vehicle use. Restaurants and shops still need supplies and they aren't been hiked a km in backpacks or the baskets of their bicycles.

I was there three times! the first was magic though. I had a Let's Go guide and in it it said "despite rumours, Drugs are illegal in the Netherlands and there are stiff penalties for possession". So I was thinking maybe Cheech and Chong was just movie make believe. Was the guide ever wrong! Haha. It was exactly like Cheech and Chong. What a trip! (pun intended) Maybe that was the seed of my trust issues with media.... 

Edited by dasmo, 06 May 2022 - 09:11 AM.

#99 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 10:17 AM

We're not Houston either though nor could we ever be. We do not have the room to build massive ten lane free ways nor should we. I do think however that if your job requires a vehicle and can't be accomplished by transit or bike you should get parking priority over those who can bus, bike or walk. Not everyone should have a car.

#100 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 06 May 2022 - 10:27 AM

...Not everyone should have a car.

Everyone who wants and can afford a car should have one. Ownership restrictions based on lifestyle or residency are morally repugnant.

• E2V likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users