Missing Middle Housing Initiative (MMHI) in the City of Victoria

• Please log in to reply
3516 replies to this topic

#1221 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 24 October 2022 - 08:02 PM

#werefull

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1222 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 03:10 AM

Spread the density around the capital region

Statistics Canada has used 2021 census data to create a list ranking the 10 highest population densities among municipalities in Canada with 5,000 residents or more.

Victoria is number seven on that list. Vancouver is number one and Toronto number eight. No other municipalities in Greater Victoria are on the list.

Let’s give the other municipalities in the Capital Regional District a chance to catch up with Victoria’s level of density and then see where we go from there.

David Maxwell, former chair
Fernwood Community Association Land Use Committee
Victoria

https://www.timescol...schools-6014936

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 October 2022 - 03:10 AM.

• Midnightly and Barrrister like this

#1223 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,235 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 06:49 AM

Maybe instead of spending all that time and money crafting fake engagement and marketing do some actual studies on how adding density to established communities will impact them. Both in the micro and macro.
Take Fairfield. It already has busy parks, cramped street parking, a bustling village, full schools, busy roads. How does removing existing housing and replacing it with 2-6x the density impact the livability of the area? How does it impact water, traffic, sewage, food, homelessness, crime management, health services on the broader area? I don’t remember seeing that.

Edited by dasmo, 27 October 2022 - 06:50 AM.

• Nparker, Midnightly, Barrrister and 2 others like this

#1224 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 06:53 AM

It is not supposed to make life better for the people who live here, it is supposed to make developers and people in real estate richer.

• dasmo likes this

#1225 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 06:59 AM

It is not supposed to make life better for the people who live here, it is supposed to make developers and people in real estate richer.

That's not right.  It's supposed to allow people (owners and renters) with less money to fit into areas where it costs lost of money now to own.  

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 27 October 2022 - 06:59 AM.

#1226 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,235 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 08:10 AM

And how is that working for Vancouver? It's number one both in density and cost of living. 

• Barrrister likes this

#1227 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 08:13 AM

I never said it would work. It hasn’t anywhere else.
  • dasmo likes this

#1228 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,235 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 08:16 AM

I read the facetiousness in your post. I just took the opportunity anyway.  :banana:  

#1229 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 27 October 2022 - 01:29 PM

I think a few single family houses right in the downtown core of Vancouver would cost a lot more than the average condo that sits on the same property no?  So in a manner the condo is both less expensive and the property tax collected is way more.  Win/win?

The only reason Toronto is 8th in density is because of the amalgamation.  If amalgamation happened in Vancouver than it wouldn't be the most dense.... 

Edited by Ismo07, 27 October 2022 - 01:31 PM.

#1230 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 04:39 AM

Rising interest rates and ­construction and land costs that make it harder for ­builders to start projects could make Greater Victoria’s rental ­housing market — already tight with a one per cent vacancy rate — even tighter.

That’s despite the fact that nearly 5,000 rental housing units are under construction and another 5,000 are in the planning stage in the region, where rental demand and employment rates remain high. “We are facing a crunch and we are already seeing a ­supply issue ahead of us,” said Grant Evans, vice-president with ­Colliers International ­Victoria. “The pressure is going to continue and I don’t see it being alleviated any time soon, because the fundamentals haven’t changed and we’ve been talking about the same pressures for 20 years.”

The main pressure is demand, which has increased as those who are able to work remotely flock from larger centres to ­Victoria, which is seen as a desirable place to live.

To meet the demand, ­Victoria’s residential ­construction industry has been working flat out to build new homes, last year breaking a 45-year record with 4,809 new homes started. The previous record was 4,439 set in 1976.

But builders note the region is still digging itself out of a housing deficit and will need to maintain that kind of pace to keep up with a population that grew by eight per cent to 397,237 over the past five years.

https://www.timescol...ruction-6020496

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 October 2022 - 04:40 AM.

#1231 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 05:57 AM

5,000 in planning? There are 4,500 approved, and a further 8,400 proposed. Currently under construction are 5,500-units.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1232 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 06:14 AM

Who the heck are we building all these homes for and more importantly….why?

IMO we just can’t keep increasing our population just because people want to relocate here. We need to expand our infrastructure at the same time.

I know it’s popular to talk about public transit and cycling but the truth of the matter is the number of cars increase when the population increases.

Cars are up and doctors are down. I think we should make building permits harder to get not easier.

Ok let me have it…
  • Matt R. and Barrrister like this

#1233 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 06:22 AM

Well, very clearly we are building them mostly for people that do not yet live here.  

• Barrrister and Teardrop like this

#1234 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 06:22 AM

Not only are we not building better infrastructure, we are reducing the capacity of the infrastructure we already have.

• Nparker, Barrrister and Teardrop like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1235 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 07:22 AM

Not only are we not building better infrastructure, we are reducing the capacity of the infrastructure we already have.

And our woke politicians are spending the infrastructure reserves on their pet social experiments. 

I think this is the main reason Stew was given his marching orders, people were envisioning Langford with 2x the population with the same road and transit options.

Aside from what is being built here and in Langford, take a look up Island where per capita development blows away anything happening in the south.

Edited by spanky123, 28 October 2022 - 07:23 AM.

#1236 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 October 2022 - 07:31 AM

IMO we just can’t keep increasing our population just because people want to relocate here. We need to expand our infrastructure at the same time.

I know it’s popular to talk about public transit and cycling but the truth of the matter is the number of cars increase when the population increases.

Cars are up and doctors are down. I think we should make building permits harder to get not easier.

Ok let me have it…

Thats not really what you're asking for. You want to add permits to move here.  :rtfm:

#1237 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 07:35 AM

Stew saw the same support he always had. But in the end, his campaign did not resonate with newcomers, and that's where he and his slate failed. The newcomers were galvanized by Langford Now, and their vote for mayor was anyone but Stew. Then there is always the vote that is against the present-day establishment and it went to LN, too.

Know it all.

#1238 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 07:43 AM

Stew saw the same support he always had. But in the end, his campaign did not resonate with newcomers...

Newcomers who found homes in Langford as a result of Stew's policies. #irony

• Victoria Watcher and Teardrop like this

#1239 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 07:45 AM

Indeed. One of the incoming councillors had only moved to Langford in 2020.

...and the new mayor lives in Saanich, etc, etc.

Know it all.

#1240 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 08:10 AM

Thats not really what you're asking for. You want to add permits to move here. :rtfm:

No that’s not possible in a free society. I watched Santa Barbara though in the late 70’s restrict development in order to curb overcrowding.

Development should be planned carefully not haphazardly just because there is a strong demand doesn’t mean there should be a requirement to supply.
  • Barrrister and Teardrop like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users