• Please log in to reply
3521 replies to this topic

#1281 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 09:07 PM

Oh my.

These in camera meetings keep getting more and more prevalent.

Have we ever seen new council use a former council’s public hearing to base their decision on? I can’t recall.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1282 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,967 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 09:08 PM

screenshot-twitter.com-2022.12.04-00_07_59.png

https://twitter.com/Adam_Stirling

#1283 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 09:11 PM

It would seem Ms. Alto has learned much from her predecessor.

• Barrrister likes this

#1284 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 09:13 PM

Where is the crack Capital Daily municipal politics team on this development?

• Matt R. and Barrrister like this

#1285 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 09:22 PM

The voters in Victoria elected to have more of the same and Helps destruction will continue. In spite of it being a bad real estate market it is probably a good time to see if you have a SFD in the city of Victoria.

• Nparker likes this

#1286 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 09:26 PM

Ya, I don't know.  MMHI will likely just drive up land prices.  And with this council likely adding some affordability provisions it'll likely also never work.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 December 2022 - 09:26 PM.

#1287 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 09:34 PM

If they build one next door to you your house price will drop. Houses that are next door to three and a half story apartments go down in value. Try selling your house on a street where they are building a bunch of these. Who wants to live in a construction zone for a start and with four story rental apartments next door. With every house rezoned the developers wont be racing for your property. 

If you re considering selling your SFD I would not delay but that is just my view and you probably should not take advice online.

#1288 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 09:37 PM

If they build one next door to you your house price will drop. Houses that are next door to three and a half story apartments go down in value. 

That's the idea though, right?

You can't create affordable housing if home prices do not drop.

#1289 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 09:41 PM

Strangely, just because your house price drops does not mean that the units will be particularly affordable. They will be lucrative for the developers. 

#1290 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 09:48 PM

For example do you consider all the condos built around Yates or Cook in the last few years affordable? These will be priced at about the same or more.

#1291 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 09:44 AM

If they build one next door to you your house price will drop. Houses that are next door to three and a half story apartments go down in value. Try selling your house on a street where they are building a bunch of these. Who wants to live in a construction zone for a start and with four story rental apartments next door. With every house rezoned the developers wont be racing for your property. 

If you re considering selling your SFD I would not delay but that is just my view and you probably should not take advice online.

I disagree. I think that once the bylaw is passed then we will see a blanket increase in land prices as developers will be willing to pay more for the property. 

Having said that, we currently have the backdrop of declining property values due to higher interest rates so council and the NDP may see this as an opportunity to jam the bylaw through and when houses prices remain flat (decline offset by increase iand density) they can claim that there was no impact.

#1292 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 10:21 AM

Spanky, have you considered the impact of having one of these built next door to a SFD as to its value? Once a few are built on a street in close proximity you will see a demand drop by people looking for SFD. 

People pay a big bonus to be in a stable SFD neighborhood. You are adding in developers as purchasers but you are forgetting to subtract people who dont want to be near or adjacent to six and eight plexes. 

#1293 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 10:49 AM

What’s more concerning is the blatant disregard for the people that live in these neighborhoods. Now you have no say in what goes on. Why conserve democracy? Basic dictatorships are more progressive!
  • Nparker and Barrrister like this

#1294 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 11:40 AM

I am surprised I haven't seen anything about this development https://www.urbanthr...hmond-community at 2859 Richmond Rd posted here. I think a similar development would be perfect for this location. Maybe throw in a cafe or a small market on the corner.
  • Nparker likes this

#1295 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 12:40 PM

People pay a big bonus to be in a stable SFD neighborhood. You are adding in developers as purchasers but you are forgetting to subtract people who dont want to be near or adjacent to six and eight plexes.

You’ll have to pay even more now if you want an SFD in the CoV.

I don’t know why the City is pursuing this in light of the provincial agenda. Wouldn’t it be more prudent to await the province to fully introduce its plan, then adapt your municipal plan from there?
  • Teardrop likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1296 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 01:08 PM

The CoV wants to appear to be ahead/woke on this matter
  • Barrrister, Victoria Watcher and Teardrop like this

#1297 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 01:50 PM

There was an awful lot of developer money at stake here and a lot of financial support to this council. Payoff time now.

#1298 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,967 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 01:54 PM

Oh I wouldn’t get too worked up.

This might add density in the traditional less desirable areas. Along major streets. It’s probably not going to have a serious impact in Fairfield small streets for some time, if ever.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 December 2022 - 01:55 PM.

#1299 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 02:49 PM

It’ll be lot-based. Wherever someone can buy a larger lot with a tear down on it, that’ll convert first.

Know it all.

#1300 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 03:15 PM

The CoV wants to appear to be ahead/woke on this matter.

Governance by virtue signaling.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users