Photo

Water Transit

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 rayne_k

rayne_k
  • 170 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 11:22 AM

Hmm, I did not know locks would be required.

One would be needed under Tillicum bridge.. It sounds costly enough to me that it might be worthwhile just starting routes with between Tillicum and rest of the harbour, until there is higher density to created near Admirals (in order justify the expenditure).

Stage 1) Tillicum to Downtown & Harbour,
Stage 2) Install locks and run as far as Admirals

#22 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 21 March 2007 - 12:55 PM

apart from the tides there are also speed limits in the Gorge waterway. I think that a sea bus going across Esquimalt Harbour linking with a bus or tram on each side would be a possibility though.

#23 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 05:34 PM

not sure if I should have started a new thread for this, or dig up a long-abandoned one. well since this is the forum where I learned the word "vaporetto" .....

1YZHU8E91ig

#24 phx

phx
  • 1,862 posts

Posted 27 May 2011 - 06:32 PM

The champagne bottle not breaking is a bad omen.

#25 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:24 AM

What are the rates for the "water taxis?"

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#26 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:30 AM

Tom Hawthorne on the water taxi ceremony and the meeting of rivals Barry Hobbis and Marianne Alto:

http://www.theglobea...article2039239/

Most of the stops are along the Inner Harbour connecting downtown to Vic West, a zone where fares are $5. The longest haul costs $20.

A pair of H2O Taxis are operated by Victoria Harbour Ferry Co., which has had a hop-on, hop-off service along the same waters for two decades. The company has a fleet of 14 ferries, each capable of carrying a dozen passengers.

[Alto] delivered a glancing, one-handed blow with the bottle.

Clunk.

“Whoops,” she said.

The next blow was delivered quickly with two hands.

Clunk.

A third blow was preceded by a big backswing, like Geena Davis wielding a baseball bat in A League of Their Own.

Clunk.

Believe it or not, bottles are engineered NOT to break so it's hardly shocking when nothing happens when they are feebly bumped against a blunt wooden surface. However, the head of a partially-driven screw, bolt or nail would be a formidable foe to even the strongest bottle.

#27 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:50 AM

I dropped two bottles (one onto the liquor store floor and the other onto cement) on Saturday and neither broke -- until I dropped a third, empty by that point, and it shattered like nobody's business.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#28 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:56 AM

^ Sounds like you didn't need to buy the third bottle ;)

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#29 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 11:38 AM

Nice one G man.

#30 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,017 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 04:30 PM

Well, this is certainly an interesting development.

https://saltspringex...to-gulf-island/

Matt.

#31 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,871 posts

Posted 04 May 2020 - 04:36 PM

Well, this is certainly an interesting development.

https://saltspringex...to-gulf-island/

Matt.

NEW SERVICE starting May 15th we will be providing water taxi and delivery to the gulf Islands as an essential service. If you want to have groceries delivered to you simply order online from Save-On-Foods and we will do the rest to get it to you quickly. We will also bring prescription medications medical devices Hardware or anything else you order through us. If it's Transportation you require you can arrange that through us as well. We hope to provide the service 7 days a week. We are looking for your feedback and requirements as to what you need and when. Please email us at whiterockseatours@gmail.com

[attachment=26751:screenshot-www.google.com-2020.05.04-20_38_44.png]

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 May 2020 - 04:39 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users