Photo

Langham Court Theatre board shake-up

• Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

#221 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 29 September 2022 - 10:54 PM

The Times-Colonist totally buys into the departing board's victimhood..

The TC abandoned any pretense of actual journalism ages ago.
  • Barrrister likes this

#222 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 12:02 AM

The TC article is just a bit shallow. I’m not sure it takes one side or another. It’s just too short to really get into the issues.

#223 Listener

Listener
  • 28 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 08:18 AM

So shallow that it doesn't say why the meeting was called in the first place. 

The whole purpose of the meeting, which was required under the Societies Act after 75 members signed a petition demanding it, was to vote on a motion to replace the entire board.  The large turnout of the membership was for that very purpose; the board had lost their confidence.  They slipped away into the night, hopefully to never be heard from again. 

• Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#224 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 10:44 AM

they’re usually not a “tabloid”. They won’t even accept my calls anymore about extraterrestrials being involved in local politics

#225 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 10:46 AM

In fairness I found the article pretty balanced based on information that was available. 

#226 Listener

Listener
  • 28 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 11:26 AM

There was plenty of information available about the board's incompetence and indifference in operating the theatre, failure to perform their duties under the Langham Court constitution and the Societies Act, muzzling opposition, and threatening members with expulsion for holding them to account when they did not respond to legitimate member inquiries. 

The TC chose to spin it as the board resigning in protest over Langham's supposed (and unsubstantiated) "toxic culture," when if fact they resigned before they got fired.

• Nparker, Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#227 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 06:20 AM

Langham Court Theatre will open its doors to the public for a drop-in open house on Saturday.

The beleaguered community theatre, which has been inactive due to in-fighting among patrons and board members in recent months, is set to resume in-house production Nov. 23 with John Cariani’s Almost, Maine. It will be the theatre’s first new play since a rancorous annual general meeting on Nov. 14, 2021, resulted in sweeping changes to the board, followed by the cancellation of the company’s 2021-2022 season.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 November 2022 - 06:21 AM.

#228 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 01 November 2022 - 07:04 AM

Sane people have taken over and we should all try to give them our support.

• A Girl is No one, Barrrister, Spy Black and 1 other like this

#229 Listener

Listener
  • 28 posts

Posted 07 November 2022 - 11:38 PM

I'd go so far as to say that this new board is the best qualified and most talented board that Langham Court has had in years.  This is a mature, accomplished, and capable group with a wealth of experience and achievement in the the theatre, non-profit boards, and their own professions.  I also believe them to be committed to restoring the harmonious, supportive, and affirmative culture that brought the theatre its past success. 

• Mike K., Nparker, Barrrister and 1 other like this

#230 Listener

Listener
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 February 2023 - 11:39 PM

As the new board sorts through the mess left behind by the ousted board–while opening their second play since reopening the theatre–the Treasurer's Report (available online) reveals that administrative expenses for the past year, with the theatre closed and a skeleton staff, were $137,000.  Approximately $120,000 came from raiding reserve and restricted accounts.  A additional voluntary payment of $24,000 was made to the human rights complainant over and above the sum already paid to settle the complaint.

• Kungsberg likes this

#231 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 07:23 AM

What’s the plan here? Is the organization going to ask for a return of monies that may have been improperly spent?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#232 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 07:27 AM

^ More likely they will have to fundraise to cover the amounts already spent which is never easy.

#233 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 07:30 AM

What’s the plan here? Is the organization going to ask for a return of monies that may have been improperly spent?

Presumably in the eyes of the board then, it wasn't improper.

#234 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 07:33 AM

Yes, board vs board. But the current board can still pursue a civil case against those who they feel misappropriated funds.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#235 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 03 February 2023 - 07:36 AM

Yes, board vs board. But the current board can still pursue a civil case against those who they feel misappropriated funds.

Sure and it will cost them another $50K even if they win.

• Nparker and Victoria Watcher like this

#236 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 393 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 20 February 2023 - 11:33 AM

This is connected to Langham Court Theatre.

My questiobns:

1. What the heck happened to Adian Chamberlain? Did someone speak to him or threaten his job?

2. Posting a photo of a black actor/artist online is now considered "cultural appropriation?

Owning up to mistakes and a new journey forward

Adrian Chamberlain

Feb 10, 2023 5:01 AM

Have you ever heard of “digital blackface”? I hadn’t – at least, not until four months ago.

Now I realize I have been guilty of it. And for that I apologize.

What is digital blackface? Here’s a definition from Merriam-Webster: “The use by white people of depictions of black or brown people … especially for the purpose of self-representation or self-expression.”

Here’s what happened. In September 2022, Langham Court Theatre, a Victoria community theatre company, was going through a transition. A board that focused on addressing racial sensitivity announced it would resign. A new board was poised to take over.

During the old board’s tenure, no theatre was produced. I believed the new board heralded a return to the creation of theatre, something I wholeheartedly supported.

More: https://www.timescol...forward-6519908

Edited by FawltyVic, 20 February 2023 - 11:34 AM.

#237 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 20 February 2023 - 11:39 AM

This is why "woke" is so fundamentally flawed. It has become impossible to do or say anything that isn't offensive - including these words I have just typed I would imagine.

#238 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,328 posts

Posted 21 December 2023 - 08:50 PM

A group of local activists who have been calling for a ceasefire in the Israeli-Hamas conflict have launched a petition in order to sway the Belfry Theatre to drop a play from its schedule for the new year because it is written from an Israeli perspective. 

The Runner, by Toronto-based playwright Christopher Morris has won several awards and has been critically well-received.

The play follows a member of an Orthodox Jewish volunteer force whose role it is to collect the remains of Jews killed in conflict. 

https://www.victoria..._medium=twitter

screenshot-www.instagram.com-2023.12.21-23_51_32.png

https://www.instagra...zRlODBiNWFlZA==

Belfry Theatre to consider removing The Runner from 2024 lineup in response to petition  

Belfry Theatre has responded to a petition started by an activist group identified as “Teach for Liberation.”

The theatre is facing a petition that calls on them to remove The Runner by Christopher Morris from their 2024 line-up.

https://www.victoria...se_to_petition/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 21 December 2023 - 08:54 PM.

#239 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 21 December 2023 - 09:07 PM

...Belfry Theatre has responded to a petition started by an activist group identified as “Teach for Liberation.”...

Teach for Liberation appears to be just another group of (2?) woke activists who want to stifle any voice that is not in harmony theirs.

Teach for Liberation is an educational consulting organization founded to address and support the curricular and professional development needs in schools. We are educators committed to anti-racist, anti-imperialist, anti-bias teaching through the active decolonization of our education system.

Likely the same folks who believe parents have no rights in the decisions of their minor children.

#240 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 December 2023 - 09:10 PM

There was a protest at Mayfair today, at the entrance to Indigo. People said there was loud changing and yelling and it scared kids. Someone sent us a photo: https://www.facebook...Z445TXhngfuLWl/

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users