Photo

Langham Court Theatre board shake-up

• Please log in to reply
285 replies to this topic

#121 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 27 January 2022 - 09:27 PM

Well it looks like all the new board did in their wokeness was to push plays away from Langham.  What exactly is the board up to now?  What is their plan?

https://www.timescol...llation-4997150

#122 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 02:46 AM

That guy was "Henri" on Cheers!  Classic.

• todd likes this

#123 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 08:47 AM

Well it looks like all the new board did in their wokeness was to push plays away from Langham.  What exactly is the board up to now?  What is their plan?

It's always been about shutting down anything from the "old" Langham, and killing the history of Langham Court completely.

When St. Lukes, Phoenix Theatre (UVIC), the Royal Theatre, the Macpherson Playhouse, Blue Bridge, Mary Winspear, etc can safely continue to put on shows ... the press release from this new "woke" Board at Langham Court that basically said it was far too unsafe to put on shows just rings as outright bullshit.

At some point (likely already reached) the general public gets wise to the fact that they're being lied to by the current Langham Court BOD, and basically stops paying attention ... thus predicating the demise of the Langham Court Theatre as a functioning organization ... which is of course the desired effect of the new woke Board, in order to teach anybody from "old Langham Court" a lesson.

• Mike K., Nparker, spanky123 and 1 other like this

#124 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 08:58 AM

That guy was "" on Cheers!  Classic.

and “Joel Rifkin” on Seinfeld

If we have the right name.

#125 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 08:59 AM

Yes same guy.
  • todd likes this

#126 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 January 2022 - 09:21 AM

Seemed like a nice guy on that episode.
  • Matt R. likes this

#127 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 29 January 2022 - 10:56 PM

The show that Langham Courts current Board said was far too dangerous to put on, the show that "couldn't be done" what with COVID and all the racism, sexism, ageism, and general abuse running rampant in Victoria ... is currently a smash hit at St. Lukes, sold right out, and held over for an extra week.

The current Langham Court Boards actual agenda has had the curtain pulled back on it, and what the public is seeing will brand this Board for what they really are.

Edited by Spy Black, 29 January 2022 - 10:57 PM.

• Nparker, On the Level, newbie_01 and 2 others like this

#128 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 396 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 01 February 2022 - 10:37 AM

For those of us who knew Judy, she was forthright and completely honest, with the utmost integrity and respect for the stage and those who trod it. 

Directors who poses such traits, and who turn down hundreds ( if not thousands) of actors for roles in shows, can be exposed to vilification as “payback” for perceived past sleights. (Judy had directed shows around Victoria for many decades)

The accusations against Judy were completely false, she wasn’t given an opportunity to address them at any point in the process, and a Board coup was undertaken using the already long over incident as its rallying cry. 

For those who continue to attack Judy with outright lies and innuendo, and for those who currently seek to burn Langham Court down - Karma!

Late to the party and my two cents.

I got to meet Judy years after my stint in TV, film and theatre as an amateur. From what I recall she was a nice woman and I told her how happy I was to finally meet her.

To me her and other artists like Peter Mannering, Clause Watt, Colin Skinner, Hilary Jones-Farrow and Bill Hosie were people I admired and wanted to match their longevity (it was not to be).

It's a shame to hear of her passing.

• Listener likes this

#129 Listener

Listener
  • 28 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 11:36 AM

The show that Langham Courts current Board said was far too dangerous to put on, the show that "couldn't be done" what with COVID and all the racism, sexism, ageism, and general abuse running rampant in Victoria ... is currently a smash hit at St. Lukes, sold right out, and held over for an extra week.

The current Langham Court Boards actual agenda has had the curtain pulled back on it, and what the public is seeing will brand this Board for what they really are.

It seems that the board claimed another victim when the director had a stroke ten days before the play opened.  Happily, she survived and is recovering well.  Everyone stepped up, and the play went on.  Congratulations to everyone involved in Hilda's Yard, the little play that could.  That's what theatre is about!

• On the Level and Spy Black like this

#130 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 12:29 PM

This saga is theatre. So much drama.

I fully suspect someone to pen a play called Langham Court.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#131 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 12:30 PM

...I fully suspect someone to pen a play called Langham Court.

It might make an interesting reality TV series.

#132 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 12:32 PM

I fully suspect someone to pen a play called Langham Court.

Already on it.  I'm borrowing heavily from The Producers, just to warn you.  And a little bit of Cats (to keep the actor salary costs down).  Unfortunately some of the dialog will be based on The Aristocrats joke.  So it's NC17.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 February 2022 - 12:35 PM.

• phx likes this

#133 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 12:34 PM

Work in that Seinfeld guy already in town.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#134 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 12:38 PM

Work in that Seinfeld guy already in town.

18JDMY82VCsRRisJkS9JsHiR3Q-wd0bj9dSTQojj

#135 Listener

Listener
  • 28 posts

Posted 04 February 2022 - 02:07 PM

Already on it.  I'm borrowing heavily from The Producers, just to warn you.  And a little bit of Cats (to keep the actor salary costs down).  Unfortunately some of the dialog will be based on The Aristocrats joke.  So it's NC17.

Too soon.  Yes, comedy is tragedy plus time, but this is another woman with a lifelong dedication to the theatre who upheld her commitment to Langham Court for two stressful years, only to be cavalierly dismissed at the 11th hour.  This board's idea of "consultation" is "be reasonable, do it our way."  Like all entitled aristocrats.  

#136 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 396 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 07 May 2022 - 07:50 PM

Finally revisited the Langham Court website and geez what a mess of a news release. The release is dated March 12th, 2022:

https://www.langhamt...d-of-directors/

It not only airs dirty laundry (without using names thankfully) but they're underlining words in the news release. What reason they feel the need to underline I don't know but it serves no purpose.

Some sentences did grab me.

"And we will not be cowed or intimidated by the churlish and anonymous voices of those resisting change while hidden behind their computer screens.  If anything, we, as a Board of Directors, are now even more determined to put an end to harmful behaviours in our community."

What harmful behaviours and in what community? Is it the Langham Court community or the Victoria theatre community? Is there to be a crusade? And what behaviours are considered harmful?

"The work in front of us is daunting and cannot be resolved by quickly implemented superficial fixes.  We are dedicated to creating and implementing solutions that have proven to be effective and that will benefit all of our members, not just the ones who have had positive experiences."

Did they consider this when they took over the board? And I thought the issue behind the 2021-2022 season cancellation was COVID-19? Is there more? It sure sounds like it.

"Unfortunately, the ongoing anonymous campaign of harassment is absorbing significant time and energy of the Board of Directors which detracts from important tasks and further delays the reopening of our shared theatre."

In my mind harassers are best ignored or dealt with quietly without the public knowing. Keeping a theatre open and running speaks volumes. As they always say "the show must go on".

But in the far dark corner of my mind are thoughts of doubt. What if this press release is meant as a back-up in case they fail to reopen the theatre, Isn't there a recurring theme in this day and age when a movie fails? It wasn't us, it was the toxic males/fandom/etc.

Edited by FawltyVic, 07 May 2022 - 08:04 PM.

• Mike K., Barrrister and Spy Black like this

#137 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 05:27 AM

It's probably worth pointing out that the "ongoing anonymous campaign of harassment" is really just the long time, dedicated members of Langham Court letting the world know that they don't support the current state of affairs at Langham.

Just because a small group of UVIC students who "didn't get the part" manipulated the Constitution and By-Laws of the Langham Court administration in order to operate a Board coup doesn't actually translate into there actually being anything wrong at Langham Court ... and even if there are things that need addressing, those "things" are nothing more than the various interpersonal issues that tend to plague all community groups, be they focused on theatre, dog-walking or gardening.

The belief at this point in time is that the current Board is fundamentally dishonest about what they're doing (which to all appearances is nothing at all), and simply executing a long-run vendetta against those dedicated, "old-time" members of Langham Court that didn't give the woke members of the new Board a part in some play long past, likely due to their basic lack of skill onstage, or simply that they were terrible actors, undeserving of a part in the play they were trying out for.

As well, this ridiculous concept that suggests that directors who insist on casting parts based on those human beings that playwrights actually write parts for ... that those directors aren't "woke" enough is idiotic.

The concept that a playwright writes a part for a 55 year old, one-armed, white male in a wheelchair ... that such a part should or could be cast as a 30 year old black woman who weighs 230 pounds and shaves her head ... well ... there are many who consider such moronic concepts not remotely "woke" at all ... rather they're just the musings of idiots and virtue signallers, folks of no value to the theatre community, and limited value to humanity overall.

• LJ, phx, On the Level and 1 other like this

#138 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 05:58 AM

I think I asked this before. Can’t the supporters mount a reverse coup? If they have the numbers?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 May 2022 - 05:59 AM.

#139 Spy Black

Spy Black
  • Banned
  • 2,461 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 06:16 AM

I think I asked this before. Can’t the supporters mount a reverse coup? If they have the numbers?

I believe that is possible, although it would appear to require an Annual General Meeting in order to get a "new" Board in place.

Unfortunately, that AGM is November, 2022.

Of course, the current Board could also try and cancel the AGM as "to dangerous, to colonial, and to racist", which might seem a stretch considering an AGM is called for by the B.C. Societies Act, as well as Langham own Constitution and By-Laws ... but already contemplated as a potential radical move of the current "woke" Board by those Langham members watching the situation closely.

#140 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 08 May 2022 - 08:06 AM

Do we have a list of of names of the current board members?

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users