Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 02:23 PM

“We look forward to seeing you there!”

Where?
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#163 Fox

Fox
  • 114 posts

Posted 13 August 2022 - 05:54 PM

I would like to see Tariro Mawari's credentials or curriculum vitae before I take the course. I would hope they is a Uvic grad student......otherwise how would I know that they is presenting the truth?

Why does this read in Ali G's voice?
  • Matt R. and Daveyboy like this

#164 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 01:12 PM

Anyone planning to attend? https://www.facebook...UCv8Ezsjmn6tpl/

#165 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 September 2022 - 04:12 PM

What on earth is a requisitionist?
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#166 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 393 posts
  • LocationGreater Victoria

Posted 24 September 2022 - 09:33 AM

The way I interpret their recent message after they posted their AGM is if you vote against the current board your a phobe or racist:

https://m.facebook.c...100064116066477

BOARD OF DIRECTORS ADDRESSING THE CALL FOR SGM

CW: racism, anti-Black racism

TO ALL MEMBERS OF LANGHAM COURT THEATRE –

This call for removal of all elected members of the board of directors tells a very clear story to anyone who has been marginalized. The story is that racialized people, trans people, disabled people, queer people, multiply marginalized people, have never been fully welcome at Langham Court Theatre, and our expertise, lived experiences, leadership, ideas, interventions in harmful situations, and work, is undervalued and disrespected. This has been made evident in the last 10 months of near daily harassment experienced by every member of the current board. This harassment has included, but is not limited to, workplace harassment (including in workplaces outside of Langham Court), threatening messages, misgendering, belittling of disability and access needs, online harassment and bullying, intimidation, harassment with intent to humiliate and belittle, issues of non-consent, issues of breaking group agreements, harassment at peoples’ homes, and usage of inappropriate outdated racist language and slurs, such as calling people “coloured” and “foreign” and talking about the colour of racialized board members’ skin. All while suffering from the psychological impact of an aggressive anonymous campaign. All of this behaviour is against the Code of Conduct, which promotes mutual respect for everyone. It is worthwhile to mention that there remain members who do not believe any racism is occurring and continue to gaslight BIPOC community members who have bravely come forward. This is not acceptable.

Despite this harassment, this board of directors has dedicated their volunteer labour, time and energy into combating the culture of racism, harassment, and non-consent culture at Langham Court Theatre Society.

Read the full statement at BOARD OF DIRECTORS ADDRESSING THE CALL FOR SGM

This call for removal of all elected members of the board of directors tells a very clear story to anyone who has been marginalized. The story is that racialized people, trans people, disabled people, queer people, multiply marginalized people, have never been fully welcome at Langham Court Theatre, and our expertise, lived experiences, leadership, ideas, interventions in harmful situations, and work, is undervalued and disrespected. This has been made evident in the last 10 months of near daily harassment experienced by every member of the current board. This harassment has included, but is not limited to, workplace harassment (including in workplaces outside of Langham Court), threatening messages, misgendering, belittling of disability and access needs, online harassment and bullying, intimidation, harassment with intent to humiliate and belittle, issues of non-consent, issues of breaking group agreements, harassment at peoples’ homes, and usage of inappropriate outdated racist language and slurs, such as calling people “coloured” and “foreign” and talking about the colour of racialized board members’ skin. All while suffering from the psychological impact of an aggressive anonymous campaign. All of this behaviour is against the Code of Conduct, which promotes mutual respect for everyone. It is worthwhile to mention that there remain members who do not believe any racism is occurring and continue to gaslight BIPOC community members who have bravely come forward. This is not acceptable.

Despite this harassment, this board of directors has dedicated their volunteer labour, time and energy into combating the culture of racism, harassment, and non-consent culture at Langham Court Theatre Society.

Read the full statement at https://www.langhamt...e-call-for-sgm/

#167 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 393 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 09:37 AM

Anyone planning to attend? https://www.facebook...UCv8Ezsjmn6tpl/

I would if I were a member. I haven't seen any good come out of of the current board.
  • Nparker likes this

#168 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 09:51 AM

We are urging the membership of Langham Court Theatre to take a moment and think about this special general meeting, and what it has come to represent. If you believe Langham Court Theatre belongs only to a privileged few, if you believe that Langham Court Theatre belongs to predominantly white people, then you do not believe in Langham Court Theatre’s core values. It is likely that people of colour, trans, queer, and disabled people will be forcibly removed from their positions, despite the last election and leadership calling specifically for our identities, our professions, our experience, our voices. Based on what has transpired over the past 10 months, were we ever really wanted in the first place? To the members who believe Langham Court belongs only to them, who proudly say “Take back our theatre”, who is the “our” you are referring to?

As many members of this Society are aware, an anonymous campaign began very early in our time in office. Members of this society made the choice to form a highly aggressive and resourced attack on any decisions that were made as a multiply-marginalized Board. Decisions that were made with extensive community, legal, and professional consultation. Decisions that were entrusted to us as duly elected Directors, and which aimed to do the important work that addresses the issues that remain pervasive in this community.

The anonymous campaign did what it set out to do: disrupt our work and place obstacle after obstacle for the board to make any changes which prioritize Black, Indigenous, and community members of colour. This is white supremacy at work. When a Board takes action to dismantle systems of racism and oppression within workplaces, we are met with a targeted harassment campaign. We are not trusted with decision-making. Our advice is not respected and we are not given the opportunity to allow our actions and recommendations to have their intended impacts. The anonymous campaign has been active since January and has not relented; less than 2 months into our tenure. We asked members to step in and intervene so that we could continue. We asked members to denounce this campaign, publicly, and speak out against it. We asked members to offer support, volunteer, follow up with us, reach out, and demonstrate their active allyship and willingness to change. None of these were sufficient and the campaign gained traction and fueled further harm. Anonymity is cowardly at best. At worst, it is psychologically abusive, seeking to gaslight and attack the progressive work this community and its members have been asking for and so desperately needs. We can’t predict how things might have gone if we were given respect and the space that we have been asking for and recommending to this community since the election. It’s a very real possibility that we would be much further along with the 6-month plan we released in Jan 2022, including our plans to re-open. 

https://www.langhamt...e-call-for-sgm/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 September 2022 - 09:51 AM.

#169 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 10:05 AM

^ And so it continues. I hope at least that their 'woke' supporters will continue to fund this enterprise while they seem to do everything but actually put on any shows! Any corporate sponsor will want to stay miles away until this is settled.

• Nparker likes this

#170 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 393 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 10:19 AM

^ And so it continues. I hope at least that their 'woke' supporters will continue to fund this enterprise while they seem to do everything but actually put on any shows! Any corporate sponsor will want to stay miles away until this is settled.

It feels more like a call to arms for their supporters.

This is totally unprofessional. I thought its against the rules to try and influence or pressure people into voting for the current board?

This reeks or desperation and bullying.

Edited by FawltyVic, 24 September 2022 - 10:19 AM.

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

#171 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 10:27 AM

More nonsense from their minutes.

Agenda 1. Call meeting to order - 6:15 a. Territory Acknowledgement led by Monica Acknowledge with respect that we are meeting on the territories of Lekwungen and WSANEC nations. Especially today as we hold a lot of space for moments of grief, joy, resistance that have always occurred on these lands, and that anti - black racism is not from these lands, and it continues to permeate our communities. Black folks are not necessarily settlers and its important to remember that. A lot to hold today, and there is a lot to be accountable for being on these lands as settlers, we need to decentralise ourselves when it comes to things like race and anti-black racism as we make efforts to repair the harms that have happened in this space

So 'black folks' are not settlers but everyone else is?!

If they spent half the effort running a theatre as they did on trying to deal with their own personal issues then they would likely have a successful organization.

Edited by spanky123, 24 September 2022 - 10:28 AM.

• FawltyVic and Victoria Watcher like this

#172 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,328 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 10:31 AM

Selling memberships right at the SGM might mean it's just a race to see how many people each side can get out.

#173 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 10:33 AM

#professionalvictimhood

#174 FawltyVic

FawltyVic
  • 393 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 11:51 AM

More nonsense from their minutes.

Agenda 1. Call meeting to order - 6:15 a. Territory Acknowledgement led by Monica Acknowledge with respect that we are meeting on the territories of Lekwungen and WSANEC nations. Especially today as we hold a lot of space for moments of grief, joy, resistance that have always occurred on these lands, and that anti - black racism is not from these lands, and it continues to permeate our communities. Black folks are not necessarily settlers and its important to remember that. A lot to hold today, and there is a lot to be accountable for being on these lands as settlers, we need to decentralise ourselves when it comes to things like race and anti-black racism as we make efforts to repair the harms that have happened in this space

So 'black folks' are not settlers but everyone else is?!

If they spent half the effort running a theatre as they did on trying to deal with their own personal issues then they would likely have a successful organization.

I read some of their releases months ago and if I remember correctly, some of the proceeds from Langham were going to a group that would aid in the increase of black people in the arts.

If I find it again I'll post the link.

For now I keep wondering how long Langham will last before it falls into the hole of serious debt. The people running it sound more like adult children with every post/release they make.

#175 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 12:02 PM

How long can a theatre last that never has any productions?
  • FawltyVic likes this

#176 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 01:13 PM

How long can a theatre last that never has any productions?

Apparently a while. You and I (ie the taxpayers) donate very generously each year.

The plan now seems to be to generate revenue by leasing space to other theatre companies and the arts.

Edited by spanky123, 24 September 2022 - 01:14 PM.

#177 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 September 2022 - 09:28 PM

Which level(s) of government currently fund Langham?

Know it all.

#178 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 12:32 AM

The way I interpret their recent message after they posted their AGM is if you vote against the current board your a phobe or racist:

https://m.facebook.c...100064116066477

BOARD OF DIRECTORS ADDRESSING THE CALL FOR SGM

Read the full statement at BOARD OF DIRECTORS ADDRESSING THE CALL FOR SGM

Read the full statement at https://www.langhamt...e-call-for-sgm/

misgendering really? i can just hear it now "stop throwing your microaggressions at me! i am a they them"

yes i will fully admit to misgendering people on occasion, heck i do it to my own child (who by choice wants to be referred to as they them).. i'm sure many people do.. it is not something most do to spite a person... it's often done by accident or misspeak, i grew up in a generation where they and them were considered plural so it's a whole change to drop something so ingrained in language to have it represent something else.. especially in general flow conversation it's often done by accident (i do try to correct myself when possible) 

• Nparker likes this

#179 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 01:12 AM

They/them are plural pronouns.

#180 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 25 September 2022 - 11:39 AM

Which level(s) of government currently fund Langham?

Of their $200K in revenue last year about $85K came from the Feds and Province, $55K from other charities, $15K from donation and $25K from service sales (ie tickets and leasing)

https://apps.cra-arc...hdl6_dsplyovrvw

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users