APPROVED
Douglas and Caledonia, condo
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 710 Caledonia Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 21
Condo units: (studio/bachelor, 1BR, 2BR, 3BR)
Sales status: in planning
Douglas and Caledonia, condo, is a proposal for a 21-storey condominium tower with office and retail uses alon... (view full profile)
Learn more about Douglas and Caledonia, condo on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] Douglas and Caledonia | Rental, condo | Up to 21-storeys

• Please log in to reply
276 replies to this topic

#101 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 09:13 AM

I guess I don't see them as failures though I get that developers and building owners don't like them but I guess that is the price of business. I think they're great and a true benefit to the city.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#102 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 09:30 AM

Well, I mean the residents and retailers next to them don’t like them, either. The only people who do don’t have to live next to them, or clean them.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#103 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 10:44 AM

What retailers are complaining?

It has a whole new look!

#104 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 12:47 PM

Tim Hortons on Fort has issues with people hanging out at the walkway entrance alcove, and Van City left to new digs from within the walkway. They had issues there.

The businesses in Milley’s Lane have had a lot of issues, and I think the convenience store up the lane next to Brown’s is now closed. I can’t even recall who or what operates within the RBC one, but at least it’s nice and wide and opens to a plaza in the Sussex.

They’re tough spaces to activate, and there’s no strategy other than requiring them to be created. There are no guidelines and no research into making them successful spaces.

It reminds of the food truck kick the city was on for a while. They even ok’d that food truck station on Yates and Douglas then the idea was just abandoned.

Why do we keep making these mistakes?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#105 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,327 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 12:49 PM

Small minds at City Hall.

#106 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 08:15 PM

Tim Hortons on Fort has issues with people hanging out at the walkway entrance alcove, and Van City left to new digs from within the walkway. They had issues there.

The businesses in Milley’s Lane have had a lot of issues, and I think the convenience store up the lane next to Brown’s is now closed. I can’t even recall who or what operates within the RBC one, but at least it’s nice and wide and opens to a plaza in the Sussex.

They’re tough spaces to activate, and there’s no strategy other than requiring them to be created. There are no guidelines and no research into making them successful spaces.

It reminds of the food truck kick the city was on for a while. They even ok’d that food truck station on Yates and Douglas then the idea was just abandoned.

Why do we keep making these mistakes?

The convenience store past Brown's is still there. That walkway is just fine.

You keep saying that there is some sort of huge problem but I am not seeing it and I am in these walkways every day. I will take some pictures this week and post them in the appropriate thread :) 

• JohnsonStBridge likes this

It has a whole new look!

#107 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 707 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 08:50 PM

Look mid block walkways are neither inherently good or bad. The thing that makes or breaks one is how well it's designed and implemented.

#108 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 18 April 2022 - 09:13 PM

In the last 20 years’ worth of new projects, is there an example of a good one? One that’s a mid-block walkway by definition (pedestrian only)?

Maybe the most intricate one is at the Union, but its been a nightmare for the strata. Good urbanism isn’t supposed to create winners and losers the way these walkways tend to do.

Know it all.

#109 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 707 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 07:41 AM

Dragon Ally I would say is quite nice

#110 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 707 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 07:47 AM

And if it weren't for the homeless problem the one going through the Johnson st parkade wouldn't be too bad

#111 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 08:09 AM

Dragon Ally I would say is quite nice

I don't know for sure, but I think that one is from the 90s, no? It is by far the nicest of the modern stock, and the pinnacle of these walkways built since the 60s through to today.

Know it all.

#112 Kyjen

Kyjen
  • 39 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 12:52 PM

I don't know for sure, but I think that one is from the 90s, no? It is by far the nicest of the modern stock, and the pinnacle of these walkways built since the 60s through to today.

90’s … sort of. Always been an alley. Pre-reno may have been called Hm Sum Ye Alley. Difference then, the alley through the inner buildings was covered, similar to the buildings when you access from Fisgard or Herald. Above was one long hallway used to access rooms on 2nd floor. 

Courtyards have always been open from above. At one time you could access the space between the Don Mee building and I believe two smaller buildings (can be seen from parking lot on Herald. The space has since been covered over, now from the sky it looks like one building.

• Mike K. likes this

#113 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 12:59 PM

I believe Dragon Alley was completed around 1998.

I don't think that Agrius' position on Theatre Alley has been a drawback; in fact, I accessed Agrius from the alley multiple times when I worked downtown in a building to the north of the restaurant! 

#114 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 01:04 PM

90’s … sort of. Always been an alley. Pre-reno may have been called Hm Sum Ye Alley. Difference then, the alley through the inner buildings was covered, similar to the buildings when you access from Fisgard or Herald. Above was one long hallway used to access rooms on 2nd floor. 

Courtyards have always been open from above. At one time you could access the space between the Don Mee building and I believe two smaller buildings (can be seen from parking lot on Herald. The space has since been covered over, now from the sky it looks like one building.

Ah, that's it! I thought its history was a bit more complex. So the old alley was used as part of the redevelopment, and the alley was central to the project. That's very cool.

So we can do it right. Why did we give up over the following 25 years?

Know it all.

#115 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 02:08 PM

Okay so to get us back on topic I am uploading pics here https://vibrantvicto...e-4#entry646734

• Nparker likes this

It has a whole new look!

#116 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 02:19 PM

I can’t believe this is what it took for the Victoria Sidewalking guy to finally do some Sidewalking in Victoria!
  • aastra likes this

Know it all.

#117 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 03:20 PM

Well you hooked me with plaza talk and reeled me in with walkways. How could I avoid it??

It has a whole new look!

#118 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 19 April 2022 - 08:46 PM

Tis true. Those are nice shots you’ve taken.

Know it all.

#119 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 10:00 AM

For sure. When I make a list of VV forumers who really need to get off their lazy duffs and start posting more pics, G-Man is always right near the top.

#120 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 10:06 AM

I can’t believe this is what it took for the Victoria Sidewalking guy to finally do some Sidewalking in Victoria!

In his defense, he runs another popular blog called "Sidetracking Victoria" which takes a lot of his time.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users