APPROVED
The Abbey
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1702 Quadra Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 12
The Abbey is a proposal for a 12-storey rental complex with ground floor retail space at the site of The Abbey... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Abbey on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown/North Park] 1702 Fisgard Street (The Abbey apartments) | Rentals; commercial | 12-storeys

• Please log in to reply
85 replies to this topic

#21 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 01:11 PM

I realize any notions about truly harmonizing the old and new parts are always going to be questionable with this sort of development. When you boil it down you're talking about a whole lot of new construction glued onto an older building. I'm just saying, even though the new version is smaller and seemingly less bulky, the overall effect is much more incongruous to my eye. There's no way I could ever convince myself that new design somehow grew out of that old podium.

• Nparker likes this

#22 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 04 November 2022 - 01:38 PM

I would agree. The new design feels very out of sync with not only The Abbey, but the whole neighbourhood. The initial design was very avante garde, but it still worked, I thought.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#23 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 05:13 PM

Another rendering of the updated proposal.

The Abbey (new design).jpg

#24 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 10:13 PM

The first version was the best. This new one is really sad in comparison in my opinion.
  • Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#25 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 06:46 PM

A major rework of this project has now been proposed. The existing structure is now scheduled to be demolished. Here is what Aryze is saying.

...While the exterior has shifted in form throughout design iterations, the rich history of the subject site is still important to celebrate and we continue to look for ways to honour the building’s history and neighbourhood context through design, research and collaboration.  Currently this looks like exploring potential creative measures which create a material memory of the existing building while adding dimension to the ground floor and exterior. One example of this is the proposed use of salvaged brick from the demolition of the existing building to demarcate its location through a series of short walls and planters along Fisgard Street—bringing historical awareness and textural references to the original building to the pedestrian scale...

https://aryze.ca/projects/1702quadra

A community open house for this project is being held on June 29, 2023, 7:00-9:00 PM. I may or may not be able to attend.

The Abbey June 2023 proposal.png

The Abbey June 2023 proposal-2.png

• DavidSchell likes this

#26 Biro

Biro
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 07:32 PM

Love the ol’ 1911 corner shop front. I wonder what type of business they have in mind for the CRUs. Hopefully they can marry the podium a bit better with the tower. Those balconies jut out way too far in the render making the building feel out of place.

#27 Biro

Biro
  • 73 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 07:35 PM

Love the ol’ 1911 corner shop front. I wonder what type of business they have in mind for the CRUs. Hopefully they can marry the podium a bit better with the tower. Those balconies jut out way too far in the render making the building feel out of place.

Somehow my post from November never went through. Gutted they are removing the corner store front from the new design. Digging that mural tho!

#28 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 08:19 PM

The existing structure is now scheduled to be demolished.

Demolishing a fine old character building? And following it up with a token gesture that makes a mockery of heritage preservation? In Victoria? I'm shocked*. Shocked, I say.

*not at all

Seriously though, can we please stop overthinking these kinds of projects? Just preserve the ground-level facade and work it into the podium of a half-decently attractive tower. The first concept had the right idea. Era on Yates had the right idea several years ago.

If Victorians don't give a damn about the character of their neighbourhoods then I don't blame the developer for trying something like this, but otherwise -- holy crap, they couldn't be more off target with the overall esthetic even if they worked on it blindfolded.

• Nparker and Vin like this

#29 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 08:20 PM

It’ll be another project without parking.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#30 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 08:28 PM

It’ll be another project without parking.

It's almost as if they're challenging people to invent a reason for not disliking it.

#31 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 08:39 PM

It still seems like some developers aren't even vaguely familiar with past development controversies in Victoria. If you were aware of everything we've suffered through for the past several decades then why the heck would you propose something like that on this site?

I wouldn't mind it anywhere near as much if this exact same project was happening just one block west, on the corner of Blanshard and Fisgard.

• Nparker likes this

#32 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 08:57 PM

Has Aryze ever shown any sensitivity towards existing neighbourhoods in their projects? 

• mbjj and Barrrister like this

#33 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 09:03 PM

Has Aryze ever shown any sensitivity towards existing neighbourhoods in their projects?

I gotta say, even though I understood the reasons for that criticism I was still inclined to regard it as a bit unfair/exaggerated. But in this case they really seem to be following through with it. Or maybe with this concept they're just trying to taunt the process, in order to show the CoV and the North Park people what's really at stake here? I don't know.

#34 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 09:08 PM

I stand by my statement about Aryze. They are woke poseurs whose number concern is showing how clever and cutting edge they are.

• Barrrister likes this

#35 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 09:17 PM

I still wish you'd exercise your clout with the neighbourhood association and get them back on course to a saner reality. If they don't listen to reason then try telling them you're a longtime VV forumer.

• Matt R. likes this

#36 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 09:21 PM

Mention VV at an NPNA gathering and you'll be lynched.

#37 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 09:26 PM

It's always frustrating to see a drawn-out development saga in Victoria go through this kind of wrong-way evolution.

The first concept was pretty good, half-decently interesting, and also rather unique;

The second concept was a step backward and disappointing by comparison, but still probably acceptable;
The improved-and-refined third concept... crikey.

As things progress toward the goal you're supposed to be checking off more and more boxes, aren't you? Not fewer and fewer?

• Nparker likes this

#38 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 09:31 PM

It's the Northern Junk saga all over again.

#39 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 20 June 2023 - 01:09 PM

"Hey, you know how there are few surviving examples of those little mixed-use residential/commercial blocks that used to typify old Victoria's central neighbourhoods?"

"Yeah, there are few surviving examples because most of them were torn down decades ago, when post-1945 Victorians decided they didn't value the old city's character anymore."

"Right. Well, hear us out with this. We have an innovative idea. Are you ready? We want to tear down one of the few surviving examples, too."

• Nparker likes this

#40 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,291 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 21 June 2023 - 08:00 AM

This will be very interesting to watch, as other developments with unregistered heritage buildings will be keenly looking to the outcome here.

Early 2022 design: https://victoria.cit...heritage-asset/

Late 2022 design versus spring 2023 design:

the-abbey-interim-design.jpg

Fisgard-Street's-112-year-old-Abbey-Apartments-could-make-way-for-12-storey,-no-parking-rental-tower.jpg

Fisgard Street's 112-year-old Abbey Apartments could make way for 12-storey, no-parking rental tower

https://victoria.cit...g-rental-tower/

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users