Best Traditional Hamburger in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
69 replies to this topic

#1 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:17 AM

I remember a Times Colonist article a few years back that went over the best hamburgers on the Island. As I recall, the top pick of the readers was BJ's in Port Alberni. I actually drove out there to try it and it was okay, but not really a traditional hamburger. It had sliced hot dogs and mustard and a odd assortment of condiments and I didn't think it was so great.

So, I wanted to ask the VV community about their thoughts concerning the best hamburger in Victoria, not the whole island.

I like the "traditional" hamburger -- if there is such a thing -- the basic meat, bun, lettuce, tomato, mayo variety -- or something similar.

Personally, I like my own hamburgers grilled on the charcoal barbeque over anything I can buy in a restaurant, but I know there has got to be some good stuff out there when I want to eat out.

So... help me out with some good local burger suggestions please.

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:35 AM

Good topic!

Hunter's Bar and Grille used to have great burgers but I have not tried any of the later incarnations and since it is now asian fusion I would doubt there is much hope that it does now.

Pluto's and Rosie's are probably the two places that I eat burgers the most and both are very good.

Also even though it is not traditional I think the Buffalo Burger at 5th Street is outstanding though it is a bit too much food in my opinion.

Also for the more corporate inclined I still enjoy a Whitespot burger every once and awhile.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:43 AM

I like the halibut burger at Ferris'

The way they cook the halibut, it could be served as a fine entree'

#4 benj

benj
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 09:47 AM

fairfield fish and chips is really good as is the willows galley on estevan in oak bay. these are both done on a flattop grill, haven't found any really good bbq/grate grilled burgers.

#5 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:59 AM

This topic came to mind when the Times Colonist food critic mentioned the burgers at the Dutch Bakery. I would not have thought to look there for a good burger, but I'm going to try that at my next opportunity along with Pluto's and Rosie's.

#6 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:25 PM

While you are at the Dutch Bakery you can try their croquettes for a taste of artery killing goodness.

I'm seconding Fairfield Fish and Chips for the best burger in town. Bring a bib.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#7 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 01:48 PM

Third on Fairfield here.
Also excellent:
-Med Grill
-Six Mile
-Sally Bun (They put the patty and the works inside a bun, then bake the bun after! Delicious!)

#8 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:16 PM

The hut on Pender Island by the ferry has been getting rave reviews for ten years that I'm aware of.

#9 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:31 PM

Re: Fairfield Fish and Chips... are we talking about the halibut burger or the traditional beef hamburger?

I have tried the hut on Pender Island and it was good. But my friend with a boat has only taken me out once for a ride and that's where we lunched.

#10 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:39 PM

^ good question. The idea of ordering beef at a fish and chip shop seems kinda gross. I mean what kind of turn over are they going to have.

Having worked in the restaurant biz I know that it is usually a bad idea to stray to far from the usual on menus. If something seems out of place then it probably is and has most likely been sitting there for a couple of days. Also the lessor ordered items are usually the ones that the staff will have the least experience making (duh!) and most likely the ones that the staff least likes to make.

So ordering beef at a fish place means that there are probably a stack of 2 month patties in the freezer that will be microwaved and then grilled by someone who knows to the second when fish is ready but may not have the best idea with beef. Having been a cook I know they will do the whole thing with just a tad resentment because you have taken them out of their norm.

I would order the cod...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#11 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 03:57 PM

G-Man try it then say that!
:P
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.

#12 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:01 PM

But all these people are saying its a good burger.

#13 Rorschach

Rorschach

Truth is my bitch!

• 758 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:19 PM

So... not to belabor the point, but... are we talking about the beef burger or the halibut burger?

#14 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 04:44 PM

Beef!

#15 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 05:02 PM

Fairfield was voted having the best burgers in town in a TC reader's poll.
And no they are not frozen. They taste like homemade bbq burgers you would do at home.
They are big, juicy and crammed with the works, and they come with a truck-load of probably the best homemade fries in town.

#16 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:37 PM

Beef!

Then it's "President's Choice" on my old BBQ in St. John's..

Actually.. It's Rosie's Diner Burger here...

#17 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:45 PM

Whatever became of that place where the Blanshard/Hillside liquor store is now that was cafeteria-style burgers with beer?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#18 Jada

Jada
  • 383 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 08:53 PM

Fuddruckers? It went under many years ago.

#19 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:00 PM

^ Ah, that's it. That and Bonanza, worse things to ever happen here.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#20 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 March 2007 - 10:12 PM

For you newcomers, we discussed Fuddrucker's on the first page of the "Closed, defunct, old restaurants you knew and loved" thread.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users