• 12,428 posts

Posted Today, 06:54 AM

^ Good point.

#62 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 35,235 posts

Posted Today, 06:57 AM

My own community is changing very quickly. My neighbours and I didn’t sign up for that, it’s being forced on us. And the residents around here are starting to wonder why Sooke has to grow so fast and add so much density, but Metchosin doesn’t, East Sooke doesn’t, neither does Highlands, etc. That’s eventually going to put more pressure on low density areas of the urban core by virtue of development exhaustion in other communities. And believe me, there are many parts of the CRD exhausted by what’s happening on the construction front. It’s making a lot of people very upset, and this election could very well deliver an anti-growth message.

Interesting.  The Sooke Mayor is indeed hell-bent on growth.  The two Metchosin mayor candidates and it looks like every council candidate wants to preserve the rural aspects of the municipality.    

Edited by Victoria Watcher, Today, 06:58 AM.

#63 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 71,974 posts

Posted Today, 07:18 AM

About 25,000 people rely on Sooke's very limited commercial services now. Isn't that crazy? That's a bigger population than Port Alberni, which has about 18,000 people. But PA has a very well developed commercial base, proper road network, in-town transit, in-town jobs, and so on.

The other issue is, Sooke can't accommodate the growth it has set out to pursue. There aren't enough planning staff to handle the applications, the sewage plant is at capacity, and the road network is for a town of 10,000 people. People around here are not happy by how the growth has been managed, but it's happening.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#64 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 35,235 posts

Posted Today, 08:27 AM

Well the voters have some choices:

https://www.vicnews....2-whos-running/

#65 lanforod

lanforod
  • 9,056 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted Today, 05:57 PM

I have no idea how we can even begin to solve this problem when we have 13 different municipalities and sub parts within those municipalities that all have differing desires. Mike raised a very good point. If we focus hard on building up in the core, people who don’t want to live like that will want to move to where they do want to live. Which means demand for more suburban style SFH. That puts pressure on landowners in rural areas like Metchosin, west Saanich, blenkinsop valley, and east Sooke. I do not get the “we must preserve the rural areas” argument when it comes to land close to a major regional core. We need parks, not rural land in the middle of a city.
  • Nparker likes this

#66 dasmo

dasmo
  • 9,137 posts

Posted Today, 06:12 PM

This is why I am grateful we are fractured into 13 different municipalities. Hyper localization is how we can defend ourselves from globalism where one desire is being force upon all….
I love parks but we really have no shortage. Rural areas produce and provide different things than parks. Food, other forms of recreation, a lifestyle, etc.

#67 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 71,974 posts

Posted Today, 08:01 PM

Don’t forget though, the 13 are surrounded by water and the urban containment boundary. Eventually everything within will become densified as more and more people arrive here.

If we as a society truly value the lifestyle that is our rural communities, then we have to open up development beyond the current confines. Otherwise, if this is ‘it,’ it’s only a matter of time before rural Saanich goes the way of Gordon Head.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#68 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 12,428 posts

Posted Today, 08:23 PM

Especially if Eby has his way.

https://assets.natio...ackgrounder.pdf

#69 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 71,974 posts

Posted Today, 08:27 PM

Especially if Eby has his way.

https://assets.natio...ackgrounder.pdf

The spelling mistake in the title bodes well. A little rushed, maybe? There are grammatical goof-ups all over the place. Could this be a fake doc, Sparky?

Know it all.

#70 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 12,428 posts

Posted Today, 08:33 PM

I got the link from David Eby’s housing page at the bottom.

https://www.davideby.ca/housing

#71 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 71,974 posts

Posted Today, 08:42 PM

Yikes. They need to polish that up a little.

Know it all.

#72 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 12,428 posts

Posted Today, 08:44 PM

…or delete it all together and forget trying to be everybody’s landlord ….and get back to fixing and providing government services.
  • Nparker likes this

#73 Nparker

Nparker
  • 33,785 posts

Posted Today, 08:57 PM

They need to be voted out as government ASAP.
  • dasmo likes this

1 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

pontcanna