Langford and West Shore | 2022-2026 municipal term discussion

• Please log in to reply
674 replies to this topic

#301 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 March 2023 - 08:28 AM

Regarding the YMCA, Langford agreed to “backstop deficiencies” in the operating costs of the YMCA.

I am wondering here, why nobody is talking about the toll COVID took on the pool’s finances?

It’s not like Langford suddenly found itself paying $2 million a year to back the pool. The major now says they should just buy the pool instead of spending $36 million over 18 years.
  • martini and Harry like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#302 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 03 March 2023 - 08:29 AM

There were some numbers in a recent report.

Memberships halved over the last few years.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 March 2023 - 08:30 AM.

#303 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 March 2023 - 08:31 AM

“We are looking at every dollar we can. None of this is grandiose wish list by staff and council.”

“Just the bare minimum we need to keep up with a growing city.”

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#304 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 03 March 2023 - 08:32 AM

It was also discussed how the previous Langford council said taxes would rise to 6% for four years after 2022.

But again, nobody mentioned in that conversation that taxes were purposefully kept low due to COVID.

Know it all.

#305 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 03 March 2023 - 08:38 AM

The mayor keeps blaming the former council.

That's S.O.P. for every new government.

#306 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 03 March 2023 - 07:47 PM

Langford says they need 27 new firefighters “now.” The mayor says because of new highrises, 36 firefighters have to attend. They currently have four available.

The mayor may want to recheck his math.

• Nparker and martini like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#307 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 06:34 AM

Every tower brings more tax revenue

Re: “Langford considers big tax hike,” March 2.

The article quotes Langford’s mayor as saying: “People forget that every time a tower goes up with 750 people, that’s $200,000 we have to allocate” for a new RCMP officer.

Don’t forget that every time a tower goes up with 750 people, the city is ­picking up an extra $600,000 or more in taxes.

Sooo ……

Liz Pogue

West Shore

https://www.timescol...e-money-6647902

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 March 2023 - 06:34 AM.

• Nparker and On the Level like this

#308 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 08:20 AM

The largest, most dense tower in downtown Victoria with 245 homes will house at best 350-400 people.

Langford will never see a tower with 750 residents. It’s never happened before. Never will.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#309 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 08:34 AM

That 750 seemed pretty suspect, didn't it?

#310 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 08:57 AM

The biggest towers in Vancouver don’t hold 750 people.

Know it all.

#311 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 02:15 PM

The biggest towers in Vancouver don’t hold 750 people.

Haven't you heard?  15 second cities.  You never need to leave your building.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#312 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 04 March 2023 - 02:40 PM

Haven't you heard?  15 second cities.  You never need to leave your building.

Here's to future days.

WallE-human.jpg

• Matt R. and On the Level like this

#313 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 04 March 2023 - 06:34 PM

This forum really doesn’t need selfies, nparker. 😂
  • Mike K. and Nparker like this

#314 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 06 March 2023 - 11:36 AM

The largest, most dense tower in downtown Victoria with 245 homes will house at best 350-400 people.

Langford will never see a tower with 750 residents. It’s never happened before. Never will.

Also doesn't add $600k in taxes...  Letter's to the editor are fun.

Edited by Ismo07, 06 March 2023 - 11:37 AM.

#315 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 07:49 PM

Sooke, despite having one of the highest population growth rates in BC, and a suburb of Victoria, wants to become a rural municipality instead of its status as an urban municipality, in order to tap into government funding streams.

There’s some odd reasoning here. And it doesn’t take a minimum of 1.25 hours average in one direction to travel to employment in the CRD from Sooke. There’s some very wonky math there.

Here’s an excerpt:

The District of Sooke is by all accounts 'rural' in nature. It has a population just over 15,000 and has one road in and out of the community, being Highway 14. There is 72% of the working population that commute to larger Capital Regional District (CRD) municipalities for work because Sooke does not have a robust diverse economy and therefore has yet to create enough jobs for its constituents. Less than 15% of these commuters take public transit due to limited bus service. Personal vehicle travel time to these CRD urban communities takes no less than 1.25 hours each way, per day due to traffic grid lock; that is provided there is no stoppage due to traffic accidents or natural disasters. This is problematic when considering substantial greenhouse gas emissions, quality of life in relation to time spent commuting, unrealized local revenue generation, and community safety and emergency response to Highway 14 incidents.

For too long, the District of Sooke has experienced significant challenges when it comes to qualifying for Federal and Provincial funding programs. Sooke is part of the CRD and is considered to be urban, resulting in the municipality being deemed ineligible for important regional economic development funding portfolios. Sooke does not qualify for Island Coastal Economic Trust (ICET) membership. Sooke does not have a Community Futures office. For those government supported economic / tourism development organizations that include Sooke within their catchment areas, Sooke is too often 'out of mind' because it is 'out of sight' and therefore does not receive equitable and / or inclusive recognition or awareness as other urban communities do.

In 2020 during legislative Estimates, a statement was made that CRD electoral areas are in fact 'rural' in nature. This was an important acknowledgement as the designation of CRD electoral areas seem to have been an obstacle to their inclusion in ICET. Sooke is uniquely situated within the CRD. It appears to be the 'hole in the donut' because it is surrounded on all sides of its boundaries by the rural communities of Juan de Fuca Electoral Area, Metchosin, East Sooke, Port Renfrew / Cowichan Valley, Highlands and yet it is considered to be urban. These rural communities do not gravitate towards Sooke to fulfill their day to day needs. These communities gravitate towards the communities of Langford, Colwood, Esquimalt, Saanich and Victoria because they are by all accounts 'urban' in nature.

More: https://sooke.civicw...7D7235E21999F3B

Know it all.

#316 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 12:22 PM

9D6F5930-2E67-4DBA-ADF9-A5DC21257254.jpeg

- https://twitter.com/...LNt72cvXf0yWpgg

Know it all.

#317 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,849 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 12:34 PM

screenshot-twitter.com-2023.03.16-16_34_48.png

screenshot-twitter.com-2023.03.16-16_36_29.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 March 2023 - 12:37 PM.

• martini likes this

#318 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 16 March 2023 - 01:00 PM

I have so much to say on this whole thing that I don't know where to start. I am a long time Langford resident. Absolutely non political, no dog in any political fight. I have to agree with David Screech when he asks Stirling what he is trying to accomplish with this never ending tirade. I am a long time listener of Adam, sometimes agree with him and sometimes don't. But have usually found him reasonably balanced. It seems like he has been off the rails since he got the notion that there would be an early provincial election. As much as he says that there is something wierd going on with Langford politics, the same could be said that there is something wierd going on with his show. He seems to have gone from moderator, facilitator to a full on advocate, and actually is starting to become a bit unhinged. How long can he go on pounding home the same thing over and over?

I used to listen every day. Then it got down to once a week, then every once in awhile. I turned it on today with the idea that I would switch off as soon as I heard the word langford. Took about 5 seconds.

My question from the beginning is "What could this Mayor and Council do now that would satisfy Adam Stirling so we could move on?"  In reality I don't think there is anything they could do.

I also wonder how much of audience that resides in Victoria, Esquimalt, Colwood, Oak Bay, Highlands, Central Saanich or Sidney really gives a rats ass about what is happening in Langford.

Edited by Lorenzo, 16 March 2023 - 01:04 PM.

• amor de cosmos, martini, lanforod and 2 others like this

#319 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 01:32 PM

My question from the beginning is "What could this Mayor and Council do now that would satisfy Adam Stirling so we could move on?"  In reality I don't think there is anything they could do.

Wouldn't a lot of this be settled by the admins of Langford Voters acknowledging who they are?

• martini and Stephen James like this

Know it all.

#320 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 16 March 2023 - 01:59 PM

Wouldn't a lot of this be settled by the admins of Langford Voters acknowledging who they are?

Thats true Mike, however even if LV came out and said "Ok, you got us. We are TV or whatever." Probably still not enough to call off the dogs. I haven't been on either side's FB page and I'm not a Twitter guy. I am resisting with all my might not to go down those rabbit holes. Stirling just seems like he's on a mission now. 

• martini likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users