Langford and West Shore | 2022-2026 municipal term discussion

• Please log in to reply
673 replies to this topic

#401 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 11:50 AM

Who runs Langford Voters, HappyValleyGirl?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#402 davidN

davidN
  • 186 posts
  • LocationOak Bay

Posted 30 March 2023 - 12:06 PM

Who is behind this group is not the issue. The issue is that they organized very well at the grass roots level and the results showed at the ballot box. This is the ultimate of democracy in action.

If anyone is in opposition to their agenda then I challenge them to organize as well and turf them out of office instead of wringing their hands and looking for "culprits".  Energy spent bemoaning, while not countering, the actions of some anonymous people/persons serves no purpose and is the reason that they are in power in the first place. Actions speak louder than words - work to get them out!

Edited by davidN, 30 March 2023 - 12:08 PM.

• amor de cosmos, Lorenzo and GaryOak like this

#403 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 08:17 PM

Transparency is ultimately better. There will come a time when the other team wins, and I'm sure people will want to know the who, and how.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#404 HappyValleyGirl

HappyValleyGirl
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 09:54 PM

Transparency is ultimately better. There will come a time when the other team wins, and I'm sure people will want to know the who, and how.

I'm really surprised you or Adam haven't figured this out yet.

#405 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,293 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 04:38 AM

VIDEO:   https://twitter.com/...638245019811843

screenshot-twitter.com-2023.03.31-08_38_44.png

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 31 March 2023 - 04:39 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#406 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 31 March 2023 - 05:29 AM

Or they've just decided to let people have their say. This whole thing is getting ridiculous. I am actually starting to feel bad for Stirling. I tuned in after two weeks of not listening only to hear him rambling on about his whole motivation is to make sure that little kids in Langford have a nice warm bedroom to sleep in. A bit rich for sure. Turned it off again. Something is very odd about the players on both sides of this debacle. 

• amor de cosmos, martini, Matt R. and 3 others like this

#407 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 06:36 AM

I'm really surprised you or Adam haven't figured this out yet.

Nobody has figured it out, as far as I know.

Do you know?

Know it all.

#408 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 07:00 AM

Even if you find out who 'runs' the website my bet is that it will get you no closer to who actually 'runs' the group. 

The last activist group I worked with constantly had people coming to us asking us to front their SIG's message. Sometimes this was brokered through lawyers or other 3rd parties so we didn't even know who was behind the message we were being asked to promote. 

Edited by spanky123, 31 March 2023 - 07:01 AM.

#409 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 07:07 AM

Can anyone with a straight face, explain how what’s going on is to the benefit of society?

I truly feel for Langford taxpayers. They are at odds with an anonymous entity, which could be far bigger, and far better financed than any sincere grassroots effort ever could be. And attempts to ask for disclosure are met with attacks, ridicule and derision. How you perceive what’s going on depends on where you landed. But wisdom tells us, don’t celebrate your foe’s struggle, because next time it could be yours.

I don’t think HVG even knows who’s pulling the strings.
  • martini likes this

Know it all.

#410 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 08:22 AM

Oh my, Stirling just showed how off-base the new council was on the YMCA issue. Langford staff last night showed how good of a deal taxpayers actually got, as in the best in BC, pretty much. Stirling says Langford Voters didn’t touch staff’s about-face for council in its discussions last night.

The new council has been extremely critical of how the pool/YMCA was funded and financed. But staff showed, how good of a deal the taxpayer actually got. And how low costs for taxpayers actually were compared to what other communities pay.

The new council now wants to buy the pool outright, for $30 million, and have taxpayers pay for it over 5 years, to avoid some sort of a financial issue over the long term.
  • martini likes this

Know it all.

#411 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 08:45 AM

^Since staff would have recommended the agreement in the first place it is not a surprise that they would double down now.

Langford didn’t get a pool, the YMCA and Westhills got a pool which taxpayers contributed to. Now taxpayers are buying the pool.
  • GaryOak likes this

#412 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 08:46 AM

Don’t know of too many SIGs that work for the greater good Mike, they work for their backers and constituents who have their own agendas.

#413 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 08:52 AM

Maybe they won’t buy it after all. A million dollar subsidy sounds like a good deal, when operational costs are likely to be even higher if Langford buys the pool for $30 million plus interest.

And then think of the lost opportunity costs of paying that down, instead of pursuing other investments.
  • martini likes this

Know it all.

#414 HappyValleyGirl

HappyValleyGirl
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 08:53 AM

Nobody has figured it out, as far as I know.

Do you know?

I believe I know. She didn't cover her tracks as well as she thinks she did.

Edited by HappyValleyGirl, 31 March 2023 - 08:53 AM.

#415 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,293 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 08:55 AM

Some guy on CFAX thinks we have dollar bills.

• Mike K. likes this

#416 HappyValleyGirl

HappyValleyGirl
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 09:00 AM

Maybe they won’t buy it after all. A million dollar subsidy sounds like a good deal, when operational costs are likely to be even higher if Langford buys the pool for $30 million plus interest.

And then think of the lost opportunity costs of paying that down, instead of pursuing other investments.

I'd rather Langford have higher operational costs and have the pool be widely used by the community. Right now $950 000 is contributed each year and membership has been very low. It's still closing at 5PM on weekends even after the "expanded" hours.

Edited by HappyValleyGirl, 31 March 2023 - 09:01 AM.

#417 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 09:14 AM

Is there a barrier to use the pool currently for Langford residents?

Know it all.

#418 HappyValleyGirl

HappyValleyGirl
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 09:24 AM

Is there a barrier to use the pool currently for Langford residents?

Yes. Like I said the hours are not adequate. Drop in rates are $15 for an adult. Instead I go to JDF to pay half the price and it's open until 8PM instead of 5PM.

There's also apparently some stupid rule that youth cannot even put their feet in the hot tub.
  • Danma and Victoria Watcher like this

#419 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 31 March 2023 - 09:38 AM

Who is behind this group is not the issue. The issue is that they organized very well at the grass roots level and the results showed at the ballot box. This is the ultimate of democracy in action.

If anyone is in opposition to their agenda then I challenge them to organize as well and turf them out of office instead of wringing their hands and looking for "culprits".  Energy spent bemoaning, while not countering, the actions of some anonymous people/persons serves no purpose and is the reason that they are in power in the first place. Actions speak louder than words - work to get them out!

It is the issue. Populists don't get that it's perception that matters...

The best question on everyone's mind when LV, TV, GVAT play games, and Dave Thompson lies to my face at the door, is this:

"Why is it necessary to hide who you are in order to get elected? Is it shame? A concern that if we knew we wouldn't want you?"

#420 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 09:39 AM

Seems simple enough to address without adding $30 million to the ledger, though, doesn't it?

The hot tubs that don't allow feet are all the rage now. They even cost extra to install, to keep the water level angled slightly.

• Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)