• Please log in to reply
674 replies to this topic

#521 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,857 posts

Posted 03 May 2023 - 08:52 AM

Langford council approves financial plan with record-high tax increases

Taxpayers in the growing West Shore city will see their property taxes rise 12.41% this year, in part to pay for new police officers and firefighters, additional city staff and a new RCMP headquarters

Taxpayers in the growing West Shore city will see their property taxes rise 12.41% this year, with projections of 11.68% in 2024 and 9.5%, 9% and 8.44% in subsequent years.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 May 2023 - 08:57 AM.

#522 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 06:38 AM

Former Mayor Young: “I’ve got 30 years at 2% on average, they’ve got six months and they’re at twelve and a half per cent.”

https://twitter.com/...LNt72cvXf0yWpgg
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#523 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 04 May 2023 - 08:59 AM

Former Mayor Young: “I’ve got 30 years at 2% on average, they’ve got six months and they’re at twelve and a half per cent.”

https://twitter.com/...LNt72cvXf0yWpgg

This is called ideological redistribution, and was always part of the plan. It's why they love to pad their slush funds, rather than help the community out during a difficult economy.

Langford is f-ed, unless and until they undo the manipulation of their local politics; I think they will.

#524 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 09:03 AM

Taxpayers in the growing West Shore city will see their property taxes rise 12.41% this year, with projections of 11.68% in 2024 and 9.5%, 9% and 8.44% in subsequent years.

#525 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 04 May 2023 - 09:41 AM

So that's a compounded 62.5% over five years?!

• Awaiting Juno and Barrrister like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#526 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 09:03 AM

So that's a compounded 62.5% over five years?!

if you're surprised, Mike, what's the compounded rate for Victoria since the Mayor Helps tragedy began?

(lower but still shocking.)

I'm sure there's a cruel ideological catch-up.

#527 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 05 May 2023 - 09:23 AM

It’s about 45% over a decade in the CoV, since 2013, I think we learned recently?

Know it all.

#528 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 07 May 2023 - 09:12 AM

It’s about 45% over a decade in the CoV, since 2013, I think we learned recently?

that sounds about right.

Helps legacy is a 50% increase.

Despite the highest interest rates in decades, one recession quarter already, runaway inflation on food... our council passed a business-as-usual budget with spending that looks generous, tone-deaf, ideological and childish.

#529 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 02:18 PM

This is called ideological redistribution, and was always part of the plan. It's why they love to pad their slush funds, rather than help the community out during a difficult economy.

Langford is f-ed, unless and until they undo the manipulation of their local politics; I think they will.

That slush fund would maybe save us 2% for one year. As a Langford taxpayer, I don't think it makes a big enough dent in the larger picture to spend it.

I mean, this 12% sucks, but I've seen the meetings, and I know why it's this expensive. I don't like the Y deal, but current council didn't agree to it. I didn't like the $4 million cost of moving the power lines this year, but it was again something that was already in motion. The new cop shop and new police hires... I actually don't agree with this one, but I do acknowledge it has to happen sometime. And I agree with the need for more firemen, in light of not being able to recruit more volunteers. 

The point is, between all these new expenses and inflation, I think in light of 40% increase saving 2% for one year won't fix the hurt in any meaningful way. And I sympathize with our council (and those others in the CRD who have large increases – Saanich, Sooke, Esquimalt are all around 7%) whose hands are being blown up by the cost of literally everything.

• Lorenzo and GaryOak like this

#530 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 03:11 PM

The increase over the next five years is about 64%, according to council’s latest projection.

Danma, you don’t think it’s peculiar, than over the last 30 years taxes increased by 2% annually and the electorate had no complaints about paying low taxes and felt there was good value for the money, but over the next five they’ll increase 64%.

Do taxes really need to rise 6x based on a council that’s only been in power for six months?

Know it all.

#531 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 03:40 PM

The increase over the next five years is about 64%, according to council’s latest projection.

Danma, you don’t think it’s peculiar, than over the last 30 years taxes increased by 2% annually and the electorate had no complaints about paying low taxes and felt there was good value for the money, but over the next five they’ll increase 64%.

Do taxes really need to rise 6x based on a council that’s only been in power for six months?

I think Stew and his cadre would have maybe held this year's increase to maybe 7 or 8 percent, by not hiring more firemen or maybe holding off the new police station, and yes, Stew would have spent the float money to postpone those increases as far down the line as possible.

However, the YMCA deal was gonna blow up sooner or later (we've all known it was a **** show since about 2019), and Stew et al wouldn't have been able to stave off the costs of inflation any more than anyone else.

I can't speak about the next 3 years, though, I haven't seen what their projections entail.

As for being a member of said electorate, while I appreciated the low taxes, I also know we get very little for it...

Edited by Danma, 08 May 2023 - 03:53 PM.

• Lorenzo likes this

#532 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 04:00 PM

I would add that out of my total tax bill in Langford, General Municipal Tax only makes up a third of it, so as a taxpayer while this is... annoying... to have such an increase, it's only one line item out of many.

I'll also add that, conversely, despite Langford's "low" tax rate, my effective overall property tax bill has increased by 18% between 2019 and 2022, so how this actually pans out remains to be seen.

Edited by Danma, 08 May 2023 - 04:00 PM.

• Lorenzo likes this

#533 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 05:45 PM

Most people don't realize it but nearly 1/3rd of Langford's revenue came from developers in 2021 (we don't get the 2022 statements until June). That wasn't sustainable with interest rates shooting up and development slowing. That is likely the primary reason why even the old council was forecasting big property tax increases in upcoming years.

2021 Final April 19 2022 Audited Financial Statements with JDF.xlsx (langford.ca)  

Edited by spanky123, 08 May 2023 - 05:46 PM.

• Danma and JohnsonStBridge like this

#534 Lorenzo

Lorenzo
  • 434 posts
  • LocationWest Shore

Posted 08 May 2023 - 05:46 PM

Danma, thank you for bringing some clarity to this issue. I concur with everything you say. And I read somewhere that we are still below average for the region. Perhaps we could get some of the Our Langford Stew Crew to read this forum, and start letting this M+C do their work.

Edited by Lorenzo, 08 May 2023 - 05:48 PM.

#535 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 07:16 PM

Isn’t the municipal portion of the Langford tax bill 49% of the total bill?

For a lot of people who earn good wages an additional $1,000 or $1,500 in property taxes is not a big deal, but there are many people who who will struggle with that higher cost. Couple that increase with what’s happening with insurance rates, and with what’s happening with energy costs, and people are getting hit hard.

Know it all.

#536 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 08 May 2023 - 08:42 PM

I agree that this is gonna exacerbate the affordability issue our region faces. Between interest rates and rising prices, I don’t envy anyone right now who’s on the edge of being able to make ends meet.

#537 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,857 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 05:49 AM

screenshot-twitter.com-2023.05.09-09_47_55.png

#538 Danma

Danma
  • 889 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 08:34 AM

Isn’t the municipal portion of the Langford tax bill 49% of the total bill?

On my last property tax bill, General Municipal Tax and General Municipal Debt was 35% of my total taxes. CRD is 15%. The rest is all individual items like JDF, GVPL, school, police, hospital, transit, etc.

#539 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 08:39 AM

That slush fund would maybe save us 2% for one year. As a Langford taxpayer, I don't think it makes a big enough dent in the larger picture to spend it.

I mean, this 12% sucks, but I've seen the meetings, and I know why it's this expensive. I don't like the Y deal, but current council didn't agree to it. I didn't like the $4 million cost of moving the power lines this year, but it was again something that was already in motion. The new cop shop and new police hires... I actually don't agree with this one, but I do acknowledge it has to happen sometime. And I agree with the need for more firemen, in light of not being able to recruit more volunteers. 

The point is, between all these new expenses and inflation, I think in light of 40% increase saving 2% for one year won't fix the hurt in any meaningful way. And I sympathize with our council (and those others in the CRD who have large increases – Saanich, Sooke, Esquimalt are all around 7%) whose hands are being blown up by the cost of literally everything.

2% is 2% and should be applied.

The slush fund culture being imported from Victoria is immature, poor governance and weak financial management.

But it sure helps out the incumbent when $$$$ needs to be passed around with less scrutiny...

#540 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 09 May 2023 - 08:41 AM

I think Stew and his cadre would have maybe held this year's increase to maybe 7 or 8 percent, by not hiring more firemen or maybe holding off the new police station, and yes, Stew would have spent the float money to postpone those increases as far down the line as possible.

However, the YMCA deal was gonna blow up sooner or later (we've all known it was a **** show since about 2019), and Stew et al wouldn't have been able to stave off the costs of inflation any more than anyone else.

I can't speak about the next 3 years, though, I haven't seen what their projections entail.

As for being a member of said electorate, while I appreciated the low taxes, I also know we get very little for it...

Part of the point is exactly that.

A cost deferred is a cost reduced.

Not using all available funds to keep this increase as low as possible (and I have no insight into the common sense, or lack thereof, of any line items) is wrong, and appears ideological.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users