Photo

Langford and West Shore | 2022-2026 municipal term discussion

• Please log in to reply
673 replies to this topic

#221 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 25 October 2022 - 06:32 PM

I thought all the workers were going to move to Alberta for the cheap houses and taxes and sunshine.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#222 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,327 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 02:30 AM

“I learned a lot in the campaign process. I’ve never been a politician before. And so we didn’t come in with any assumptions even on how to do a campaign,” he said. “It was not my intent in August to run in the election. Plans change quickly and I think my wife supported the fact that I got it to create at least another option on the ballot so that we can have an opportunity to enjoy what a democracy is all about.”

https://www.vicnews....s-transparency/

Guy just decided a month before, to run. Wins. A lot of west shore mayors caught napping.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 November 2022 - 02:30 AM.

#223 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 November 2022 - 07:21 AM

Anyone know how well these business owners typically do if they successfully jump into politics? Genuinely curious if its a good thing or not.

#224 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 02 November 2022 - 07:29 AM

I don’t think the Langford mayor will be able to juggle both very easily, being a landscaper.

At best, things slow down a bit in Langford and already approved inventory just gets built out.

The real fireworks are going to be in Metchosin. They will be confronted with higher taxes, and a major development on their doorstep, and diminishing housing powers under Eby.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#225 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,327 posts

Posted 06 November 2022 - 05:15 AM

David Screech is a free man.

On Tuesday night, new View Royal Mayor Sid Tobias was sworn in and Screech officially surrendered his 20-year seat at the town’s decision-making table — 12 as a councillor and the past eight as mayor.

It was a bittersweet moment when he arrived at his Government Street upholstery and furniture shop the next morning without council responsibilities on his mind. His term as Capital Regional District director and head of its transportation committee will last another week, but his public life for the most part is over — for now.

https://www.timescol...olitics-6063264

#226 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,327 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 09:33 AM

Colwood council has repealed legislation which would have seen their pay nearly double as of Jan. 1, 2023 and was a point of significant debate over the summer for the previous council.

The repeal was passed unanimously during a regular council meeting on Monday (Nov. 28), along with a direction to staff to hire a compensation consultant to re-examine the issue of council remuneration increases, and to bring a recommendation back to council on remuneration levels for 2023 and beyond.

https://www.vicnews....l-pay-increase/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 December 2022 - 09:33 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#227 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:25 AM

Who’s idea was that, anyways?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#228 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,327 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:29 AM

Hopefully the Royal Bay ferry idea is also dead.

#229 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:30 AM

Hopefully the gondola still happens:

“It’s one of those ideas that you start thinking about and you just can’t stop talking about it,” said Colwood Mayor Rob Martin of his vision. “I don’t believe in using our waterfront as a parking lot, so that’s where a gondola comes in.”

Martin is proposing that a 10-acre, city-owned lot, just behind the site for the new Royal BC Museum Collections gallery along Metchosin Road, be turned into a parking lot and gondola system.

- https://www.colwood....gondola-parking

Know it all.

#230 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,238 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 02 December 2022 - 02:27 PM

They need to give VHF partial credit for that one. It's a spin off of his zipline idea.

• Matt R. likes this

#231 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,327 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 06:25 AM

Scott Goodmanson, the mayor from thin air
How a mild-mannered landscaper snatched the election to become Langford's new mayor

On a mid-November evening, Scott Goodmanson sat for the first time in the seat that had been occupied for 30 years by one man: Stew Young. He ran the first regular meeting of the new council, flanked by councillors—all new, save for one—and city staff.

The agenda for that first regular meeting was light, the main item being a recommendation from staff to reduce development cost charges allocated for stormwater projects. It may not have sounded like a revolution, but for Langford, it was the result of one.

After adjourning, Goodmanson extricated himself from the centre chair and moved to the back of the room, where a few people lingered.

A plate of baking had been set out at the entrance. He picked it up and went to introduce himself.

“Hi, I’m Scott,” the new mayor said. “Would you like a cookie?”

The first time Shelli Fryer met Goodmanson, he had come to visit the Hidden Valley Seniors Mobile Home Park to see for himself the source of residents' frustrations. The park, tucked in the shadow of Skirt Mountain at the north end of Florence Lake, has the look of a vacation property rather than a stereotypical trailer park. Narrow roads curl up the steep foot of the mountain, leading to clusters of carefully gardened homes spread out through the forest.

Until last year, it was surrounded by a tall, lush forest.

Fryer thought she had done her due diligence before buying her trailer in September 2020. She visited Langford City Hall to ask about planned development in the area, and remembers seeing a map with a thick boundary of open space between the top edge of the park and the planned development, where she understood the trees would remain.

“I thought I’d found a sanctuary,” she said. “I move in in late September 2020 and wake up five months later and it's being cut down.”

The South Skirt Mountain development over the hill has crept steadily closer. In early 2021 contractors denuded the steep slope above the park. They left a scant 15 metres of forest—just a few trees deep—rimming the top corner of the park.

“In May, the first tree fell down,” Fryer said.

When the wind came that spring, newly exposed trees started to fall. From May 2021 to November 2022, at least 22 trees have fallen into the park, eight of them landing on homes. Three homes were demolished and one woman was badly injured when a tree fell onto her trailer—a branch punctured her lung as she sat in her living room chair. At least three families have left the park because their homes were so badly damaged.

https://www.thewests...r-from-thin-air

#232 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,327 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 07:01 AM

screenshot-www.thewestshore.ca-2022.12.06-10_00_10.png

^  Click this and you get a live video

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 December 2022 - 07:01 AM.

#233 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 07:52 AM

Scott Goodmanson, the mayor from thin air
How a mild-mannered landscaper snatched the election to become Langford's new mayor

yeah a tree protection bylaw might do them good. i can't read the rest without signing up, so i have to guess that it also mentions elsewhere the new suburban quarry or surface mine? not long ago i was going somewhere on latoria & drove through it.

Edited by amor de cosmos, 06 December 2022 - 10:04 AM.

#234 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 08:07 AM

I’ve been told the issue in Langford is they’ve frozen development permits for the time being. So you have quite a bit of inventory that can’t get moving. Hopefully early in the new year the housing pipeline can re-start.

If Langford reduces its new housing supply we are going to be in trouble on the south Island. Nobody else has the inventory in waiting that they do.
  • martini and Victoria Watcher like this

Know it all.

#235 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 08:11 AM

We’re not in trouble Mike, the newcomers will just need to find another place to live.
  • LJ, Ismo07 and Victoria Watcher like this

#236 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 08:16 AM

I know we like to think it works that way, but it’s far more likelier that the newcomers are going to force the locals to find another place to live.
  • martini and Matt R. like this

Know it all.

#237 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,327 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 08:29 AM

I know we like to think it works that way, but it’s far more likelier that the newcomers are going to force the locals to find another place to live.

Not the locals that already have a place.   Owned or rented.

I'm coming around to Sparky's point of view.  Not everyone needs to / deserves to live here.  Especially those that just want to.  I would posit that very few MUST live here.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 06 December 2022 - 08:30 AM.

#238 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 08:30 AM

Prices and rents will continue to go increase for sure....

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#239 Ismo07

Ismo07
  • 5,224 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 08:31 AM

Not the locals that already have a place.   Owned or rented.

I'm coming around to Sparky's point of view.  Not everyone needs to / deserves to live here.  Especially those that just want to.  I would posit that very few MUST live here.

If development slows will all those workers leave for other cities?  Opening up places to live?  Such an ebb and flow.

#240 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,327 posts

Posted 06 December 2022 - 08:38 AM

If development slows will all those workers leave for other cities?  Opening up places to live?  Such an ebb and flow.

Manhattan has coffee shops and grocery stores and hospitals.  

It all works out.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users