David Eby’s housing plan for British Columbia - thoughts and discussion

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#41 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 07:55 AM

Seriously guys, it written in the agenda… denser cities, more urban containment, more restricted access to nature.

#42 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 07:56 AM

Our politicians are more accountable to the UN and their affiliate NGOs than us. This is what needs to be reversed.
  • LJ likes this

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 07:57 AM

Yup.

It was written way, way back, and is known as Agenda 21. It stems from the early 1990s. The basic tenet is to concentrate people into very high density urban centres, and highly regulate or restrict resource extraction and management.

But life happens. What Germany wouldn’t do today for a sustained gas supply from Canada.
  • LJ and dasmo like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 07:59 AM

Yep 2030 is just the updated version

#45 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 08:08 AM

It was written way, way back, and is known as Agenda 21. It stems from the early 1990s. The basic tenet is to concentrate people into very high density urban centres, and highly regulate or restrict resource extraction and management.

joker-movie-review-2019.jpeg

#46 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 08:56 AM

Yup.

But life happens. What Germany wouldn’t do today for a sustained gas supply from Canada.

Which is what the problems is. I'm a tree hugger. I like the idea of preserving nature. I see the benefits of density. I am all for sustainability. But the one track ideologically driven solutions where our municipal governments are being held accountable to is very concerning to me. Many horrible outcomes have come from singular ideologies being driven forward at the expense of all else. We are starting to live that already since as you say this has been at play for decades already... How are we doing so far? The rich are way richer, we have less freedoms, everything is way more expensive, the internet is a hate fest, a concert costs $400 and movies suck....

• Barrrister likes this

#47 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 09:34 AM

At least UNESCO sites aren’t yet prohibiting us from entering wilderness areas, or requiring we first go through check points and identify our reasons for travelling beyond the grid.

But that’s coming, maybe sooner than we think, first for our own protection?

The Starlink system is making it possible to track every human being anywhere on earth. Of course, it was the guy who forced electric vehicle innovation that is making it happen.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 09:38 AM

For the entirety of civilization, we expanded our reach. For the first time in human civilization, we are consolidating our population centres, under the guise we are running out of space.

But the truth is, the entire population of earth could fit easily in a density environment like NYC on a sliver of land equal to just three or four average US states. The earth is vast, but globalism has made us think of it as a “village.” I bet you remember that symbolism from the 90s, too?

Know it all.

#49 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 30 September 2022 - 09:43 AM

For the entirety of civilization, we expanded our reach. For the first time in human civilization, we are consolidating our population centres, under the guise we are running out of space.

screenshot-www.google.com-2022.09.30-12_29_38.png

screenshot-www.google.com-2022.09.30-12_28_58.png

^ Same scale.  We are clearly not running out of space.

But we are running our of space that we allow ourselves to develop.

Near Calgary - $75,000 - 4200 sq. ft.

https://www.realtor....es-of-muirfield

A1244880_1.jpg

Near Sooke - $449,900 - 3800 sq. ft.

https://www.realtor....sooke-broomhill

915765_1.jpg

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 September 2022 - 10:09 AM.

#50 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 03:16 AM

David Eby's plan to remove rental restrictions in stratas gets mixed reaction
Eby’s plan to end rental restrictions tough on small stratas: Gioventu

#51 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 07:40 AM

Salt spring has issues with water, this is what is use to limit development. Other places, like Victoria, don’t have the same supply issues.

#52 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 07:57 AM

SSI can set up a desalination plant.
  • Matt R. likes this

#53 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 08:01 AM

Things are going to be very different if this plan is adopted as proposed. At the very least, communities like Highlands and Metchosin will see their zoned densify double, maybe triple.

That’s going to put a lot of pressure on water resources.
  • Barrrister likes this

Know it all.

#54 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 08:06 AM

Salt spring has issues with water, this is what is use to limit development. Other places, like Victoria, don’t have the same supply issues.

A water pileline could easily be sent across from Cowichan too.  There is no good reason SSI has mainland power and telecommunications but can refuse water on the basis of whatever. 

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 October 2022 - 08:08 AM.

• Matt R. and max.bravo like this

#55 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 09:56 AM

Things are going to be very different if this plan is adopted as proposed. At the very least, communities like Highlands and Metchosin will see their zoned densify double, maybe triple.

That’s going to put a lot of pressure on water resources.

And sewage treatment!

With our ongoing climate crisis I fail to understand how younger people can continue to advocate for more growth and consumption. It makes it look like they are only concerned about themselves and that their concern over climate change isn't sincere.

• Barrrister likes this

#56 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 10:02 AM

To me, the “water resources” thing is a bogeyman. People can very easily live mostly as they do now, and use 90% less water than they do now. We squander lots of fresh water.

I stopped showering years ago. Nobody has noticed.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 October 2022 - 10:03 AM.

#57 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 10:02 AM

To me, the “water resources” thing is a bogeyman. People can very easily live as they do now, and use 90% less water than they do now.

Sure they can but they don't.  They just complain about the climate while flying around in their private jets, encouraging growth and basically doing all of the things they tell others not to!

Edited by spanky123, 02 October 2022 - 10:04 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#58 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 10:03 AM

They would if they had to pay a good dollar for water.

#59 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 10:07 AM

Canadians each use 2700 litres per day (this includes industry). Germany about 850.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 02 October 2022 - 10:07 AM.

#60 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 02 October 2022 - 11:59 AM

SSI can set up a desalination plant.

Sorry, trust says no new desal plants, the byproduct is harmful to the ocean.

(If you think I’m joking, I am not.)

Edited by Matt R., 02 October 2022 - 12:05 PM.

• phx and Victoria Watcher like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users