Photo

City of Victoria 2022 - 2026 Council - Discussion

• Please log in to reply
1156 replies to this topic

#421 HappyValleyGirl

HappyValleyGirl
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 05:39 PM

Ms Alto doesn't live in Victoria - or does she?

I suspect "not from Victoria", means most of the 5 woke councillors did not grow up here or have relatively short histories with the CoV.

The party of five are Caradonna, Dell, Kim, Loughton, Thompson. I'm trying to grasp what arbitrary time period one must live here before they lose the label "not from Victoria"
  • GaryOak likes this

#422 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 06:20 PM

The party of five are Caradonna, Dell, Kim, Loughton, Thompson. I'm trying to grasp what arbitrary time period one must live here before they lose the label "not from Victoria"

Why would someone have to lose it?

That denies them a big part of their life.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#423 FogPub

FogPub
  • 981 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 March 2023 - 12:14 AM

For me it'd be living at least half their life* (preferably the most recent half) somewhere between Sooke and Sidney.

* - regardless what age they are.

#424 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 29 March 2023 - 09:55 AM

Alto lives in Saanich and owns a rental in Vic West.

Caradonna is as Canadian as any dual citizen who was born to a highly privileged American family and moved, later in life, to Canada. (Ontario, where I spent 25 years has too much common sense for this nakedly ambitious, true-believer.) He's scrubbed it (infantile and a liability,) but his bio second page said, until recently, that his only allegiance was to "Cascadia" (?)

Thompson seems to have given up on saving Alberta... may have left academia there under vague circumstances. Found Eby's NDP more to his Marxist taste.

Never heard of Kim before the NDP put her here.

Loughton's a useful pawn with a camera who got noticed on social media by enough of the more extreme activists. She represents the Shay Smiths (violent criminals working on a successful grift in Victoria.)

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

#425 HappyValleyGirl

HappyValleyGirl
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 06:13 PM

Why would someone have to lose it?

That denies them a big part of their life.

Have you ever considered a career in politics? Your ability to not answer the question is impressive.

#426 HappyValleyGirl

HappyValleyGirl
  • 35 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 06:17 PM

Alto lives in Saanich and owns a rental in Vic West.

Caradonna is as Canadian as any dual citizen who was born to a highly privileged American family and moved, later in life, to Canada. (Ontario, where I spent 25 years has too much common sense for this nakedly ambitious, true-believer.) He's scrubbed it (infantile and a liability,) but his bio second page said, until recently, that his only allegiance was to "Cascadia" (?)

Thompson seems to have given up on saving Alberta... may have left academia there under vague circumstances. Found Eby's NDP more to his Marxist taste.

Never heard of Kim before the NDP put her here.

Loughton's a useful pawn with a camera who got noticed on social media by enough of the more extreme activists. She represents the Shay Smiths (violent criminals working on a successful grift in Victoria.)

You conveniently left out Dell who moved to the CRD in 2002.

#427 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 March 2023 - 07:12 PM

It’s clear that you equate the CoV to the CRD. They aren’t the same when you’re talking about where municipal politicians live.

#428 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 07:43 PM

Have you ever considered a career in politics? Your ability to not answer the question is impressive.

As impressive as the Langford Voters admins?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#429 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 09:31 AM

You conveniently left out Dell who moved to the CRD in 2002.

no i forgot him.

thanks for filling in!

Poor Matt Dell...

#430 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 09:45 AM

It's simply unusual, if not quirky, for a community to be governed by people who were not raised, nor grew up in the community over which they now govern.

Or maybe it's not that unusual? I don't know what's up or down these days. But I do find, when you mention this, it makes people jumpy, when maybe it shouldn't, if it's not quirky after all.

Know it all.

#431 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 10:34 AM

It’s clear that you equate the CoV to the CRD. They aren’t the same when you’re talking about where municipal politicians live.

Here's the thing: ask any Greater Victorian if it makes sense for people who live in the suburban municipalities to be politicking in the CoV. Many Greater Victorians will insist that it does make sense. It makes sense and it's good. But then ask those same Greater Victorians if it would make sense for people who live in the CoV to be politicking in the suburban municipalities. Many of them would go cross-eyed and/or laugh out loud.

• Nparker likes this

#432 HappyValleyGirl

HappyValleyGirl
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 11:33 AM

It's simply unusual, if not quirky, for a community to be governed by people who were not raised, nor grew up in the community over which they now govern.

Or maybe it's not that unusual? I don't know what's up or down these days. But I do find, when you mention this, it makes people jumpy, when maybe it shouldn't, if it's not quirky after all.

I don't think it's that unusual at all. People have no say over where they grew up. It's adulthood where they choose where to make their home.

With the cost of living in Victoria it's not surprising to me at all that people move there later in life when they are more established financially.

#433 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 11:47 AM

I don't think it's that unusual at all. People have no say over where they grew up. It's adulthood where they choose where to make their home.

With the cost of living in Victoria it's not surprising to me at all that people move there later in life when they are more established financially.

As you say, they have no choice but to move here later in life, right? So it shouldn’t surprise you that they move here later in life.

The cost of living issue you mention, is it not related to more financially established people moving here, and financially outcompeting the people who had no choice in being raised here?

Know it all.

#434 HappyValleyGirl

HappyValleyGirl
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 11:49 AM

As you say, they have no choice but to move here later in life, right? So it shouldn’t surprise you that they move here later in life.

The cost of living issue you mention, is it not related to more financially established people moving here, and financially outcompeting the people who had no choice in being raised here?

Yes it is. I had a lot of friends move away from the CRD in their 20s.

#435 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 12:03 PM

Yup. It’s a common thread for me too.

A big part of it was employment opportunities, or to cut their teeth elsewhere.

So some young people move from here, for better opportunities elsewhere. Then older people arrive here, with money generally, and after choosing to move here for what this area is, they become politicians to change it.

It’s just odd. Maybe it’s how it has always been, where the locals like what they have and where they are. The newcomers like where they’ve moved, but don’t like what they’ve move to.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#436 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 12:40 PM

It doesn't matter when they are answering to foreign owned NGOs anyway. 

Courtenay
District of Saanich

Nanaimo

Ucluelet

Victoria

Are all part of the Covenant. 

https://globalcovena...da.org/members/

They aren't filling out accountability reports on the potholes... Only the social engineering. 

https://www.victoria...ia CDP 2019.pdf

• Mike K. likes this

#437 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 01:59 PM

KLI4zom.jpeg

• Mike K. and Matt R. like this

#438 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 02:14 PM

HIGH-RES-Group-Photo.jpg

#439 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 02:14 PM

Modern times have different robes.... 

#440 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 02:50 PM

Another way of looking at it...

People like Caradonna and Thompson parachute in because they're following their saviour (Eby) and think the conditions are ripe for their Marxist utopia (because all other Marxists didi it wrong, lol)

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users