City of Victoria 2022 - 2026 Council - Discussion

• Please log in to reply
1156 replies to this topic

#441 HappyValleyGirl

HappyValleyGirl
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 03:15 PM

Another way of looking at it...
People like Caradonna and Thompson parachute in because they're following their saviour (Eby) and think the conditions are ripe for their Marxist utopia (because all other Marxists didi it wrong, lol)

It appears that they have lived here for eight and nine years respectively. I would hardly consider that parachuting in.

#442 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 03:38 PM

One needs to have lived in Victoria prior to the Lisa Helps era to understand what the city once was, how much it has fallen but hopefully what it can be again.

• mbjj and FogPub like this

#443 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 05:15 PM

I've lived here since before Lisa Helps and longer then a lot of people who currently live here and I think the city is doing amazing.

#444 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 05:31 PM

The exception that proves the rule.

#445 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 07:20 PM

I've lived here since before Lisa Helps and longer then a lot of people who currently live here and I think the city is doing amazing.

Sorry I have higher hopes for my birth place .

• Nparker and E2V like this

#446 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 07:22 PM

Amazingly poorly, maybe.

• Barrrister likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#447 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 09:24 PM

To mix metaphors here. One man's trash is another man's treasure

#448 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 09:55 PM

In terms of governance, the CoV hasn't seen anything resembling treasure since at least 2014.

#449 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 10:21 PM

Ya. It’s way better than before. I just love the misting stations on every corner in the summer…

#450 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 10:34 PM

They help to wash away the blood from the stabbings.
  • Lorenzo, dasmo and Barrrister like this

#451 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 30 March 2023 - 11:08 PM

That’s 🤡 world. Zinger edition.
  • Matt R. likes this

#452 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 01:09 AM

I totally agree with you there how observant . One homeless man’s shopping cart of trash and stolen goods can quickly become  another man’s treasure.  We finally agree on something GaryOak  thank you for pointing this out .

• Nparker likes this

#453 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 06:25 AM

I much preferred the old motto, Garden City.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#454 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 31 March 2023 - 07:48 AM

Our city is an amazing place filled with amazing people going through a challenging time. There are some things that are better (two way traffic on View St., upgrade to Cook St. Village park, upgrade to courthouse park), some things that have gone from bad to worse (affordability, crime, parking, cleanliness), and some things that have gone from reasonable to awful (governance, road maintenance, funding and support for VicPD).

The thing that bugs me most: how divided the last eight years have made our community and how entitled some members of our community have become as a result of poor governance. We've lost balance and compromise - and further, our city seems to have lost the appetite to be critical of the province for exacerbating some of our problems. 

I was hopeful we'd see more change at the table, with the status quo being put into a minority position - but that didn't happen. Given the next municipal election is 3.5 years away - it might be more fruitful to switch focus to the changes needed at the provincial and federal levels that might make things better for our city. I'm guessing those at that table would likely be far more demanding of a provincial BC United government than they are of an NDP government, and I'm guessing they wouldn't hesitate to hold a federal Conservative MP much more to task. Now of course, whether or not BC United or the Federal Conservatives could run a candidate Victorians could vote for is an entirely different question.

Lastly, seeing tax increases around the South Island, I think they've done an okay job putting a lid on things. It could be better (much better, my view, there's a spending problem not a revenue problem - and we need to pony up to give VicPD the support it needs) - but I recognize it could be much worse.

#455 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 08:12 AM

Municipalities are taking on more and more provincial and federal roles/responsibilities, so higher levels of government are more willing to prop up politicians who push that agenda.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#456 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 08:32 AM

Municipalities are taking on more and more provincial and federal roles/responsibilities...

And yet somehow my federal taxes never go down.

#457 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 08:33 AM

Government budgets never do.
  • Matt R. likes this

Know it all.

#458 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 08:53 AM

If they can rule Victoria from Saanich I should be able to vote for Victoria's ulers from Saanich.... simple. 

#459 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 31 March 2023 - 09:55 AM

It appears that they have lived here for eight and nine years respectively. I would hardly consider that parachuting in.

In the context of politics, we'll agree to disagree, lol.

These guys migrated here perceiving fertile ground for their populist version of Marxism (cause no-one else has got it right until them, lol.) In JC's case, a highly privileged, post-nationalist Marxism, 

"My parents came from New York City and my ancestors from Ireland, Germany, and Sicily. But my truest loyalties are with the Republic of Cascadia, of which I consider myself a life-long citizen."

https://www.jeremycaradonna.com/about (para. 2)

(Dasmo, I fear pointing this out because it will support your more dramatic versions of what's going on, lol, especially if you're familiar with the roots of post-nationalism.)

What offends me about this hubris is the endless justification for ignoring the will of the community when it's clear (amalgamation, governance, public safety), but claiming a mandate for (really badly managed) change with 37% turnout and 1/6 ppl voting for them. This arrogance is an offence to the institution of democracy.

Here's my prediction:

1) Caradonna's here only to demonstrate how important he is to the Provincial NDP. He's going through the motions, waiting for Eby's call. His use of "I" and "me" language when referring to decision-making is breath-taking.

2) Thompson believe's he's the Mayor after Alto.

3) Loughton, Kim and Dell are here as true-believers who'll vote in line.

4) Dell is the one they trust the least; he'll get the dirty jobs to prove his loyalty (smearing Manak, asking for higher pay.)

• Nparker likes this

#460 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,690 posts

Posted 31 March 2023 - 10:20 AM

...Here's my prediction:

1) Caradonna's here only to demonstrate how important he is to the Provincial NDP. He's going through the motions, waiting for Eby's call. His use of "I" and "me" language when referring to decision-making is breath-taking.

2) Thompson believe's he's the Mayor after Alto.

3) Loughton, Kim and Dell are here as true-believers who'll vote in line.

4) Dell is the one they trust the least; he'll get the dirty jobs to prove his loyalty (smearing Manak, asking for higher pay.)

Sadly, you are probably right.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users