1156 replies to this topic

#481 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 10:39 AM

It Canada has to go to war we are f*cked anyway. I’m
not losing sleep over it.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 01 April 2023 - 10:39 AM.

#482 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 10:44 AM

Then again you'd sleep in a drawer. 

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#483 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 01 April 2023 - 11:53 AM

I sleep like a baby.
I’m just laying the foundation for my next epic I told you so….

Edited by dasmo, 01 April 2023 - 11:53 AM.

#484 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 01:26 AM

screenshot-www.timescolonist.com-2023.04.04-05_25_17.png

https://www.timescol...ty-hall-6804834

• Nparker and davidN like this

#485 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts
  • LocationJames Bay, Victoria

Posted 04 April 2023 - 10:12 AM

https://www.timescol...experts-6804819

"Jen Ford, president of the Union of B.C. Municipalities, said the UBCM has been hearing from local governments across the province that are struggling with conduct problems and calling for resources.

While each community differs, Ford said one dominant theme with recent council strife is that some council members believe they represent only those who voted for them. Those mayors and councillors, she said, are missing the point that “when we’re elected, we’re elected to represent all members of our community.

She said this?!?

Could we get her to say this in front of CoV council?

Have Caradonna, Dell, Thompson, Loughton, Kim, Alto... ever heard of this concept?

I think this will be in conflict with their high need for attention from their saviour Eby. 

• Nparker likes this

#486 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 10:22 AM

Perhaps a councillor's compensation should be in direct relation to the percentage of the electorate that actually voted for them*

*I appreciate this would also harm the better councillors like Hammond, Coleman and Gardiner

#487 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 10:34 AM

I think the broader challenge is that people think that when they are elected they no longer need to consult with their constituents as they have been given a mandate to enact whatever they believe is appropriate. 

I don't accept the argument that if a person receives 60% of the vote but only 20% of people voted then they only have the support of 12% of the population. Firstly that assumes that everyone who didn't vote would have voted for their opponent, but secondly everyone had a chance to vote and those who didn't made a decision that they should live with.

• Daveyboy and davidN like this

#488 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 11:35 AM

We should be able to have them fired and elect another through digital petition. Same amount of people who vote them in is what’s required to vote them out.
  • Nparker likes this

#489 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 11:57 AM

You'll like it until it's used against you preferred representative.

#490 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 12:06 PM

It would be fare easier to get a recall for Gardiner than Atlo.

#491 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 12:08 PM

I have no preferred politician so am safe. I would only like a system that makes it more difficult for them to be activists and social engineers and be motivated to work the gears of administrating our tax dollars for our collective services. 

Edited by dasmo, 04 April 2023 - 12:11 PM.

• Nparker and Love the rock like this

#492 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 07:57 AM

I think the broader challenge is that people think that when they are elected they no longer need to consult with their constituents as they have been given a mandate to enact whatever they believe is appropriate. 

I don't accept the argument that if a person receives 60% of the vote but only 20% of people voted then they only have the support of 12% of the population. Firstly that assumes that everyone who didn't vote would have voted for their opponent, but secondly everyone had a chance to vote and those who didn't made a decision that they should live with.

The Economist made a passing comment this week in a podcast, assuming everyone knew this to be true, that low turnout = elections easy to manipulate. The NDP has been exploiting this for 8 years now? 10? in Victoria.

• Nparker likes this

#493 Stephen James

Stephen James

Stephen James

• 1,022 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 07:58 AM

Not everyone has a tribe.

I'd prefer governance to this corruption, no matter who sits at the table.

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#494 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 08:08 AM

The Economist made a passing comment this week in a podcast, assuming everyone knew this to be true, that low turnout = elections easy to manipulate. The NDP has been exploiting this for 8 years now? 10? in Victoria.

There is no doubt that the CoV has made it easier to vote for certain groups and harder for others but the fact remains that for the most part people CHOOSE not to vote. You can be manipulated in this case if you don't want to. All you need to do is VOTE!

#495 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 08:18 AM

It is difficult to stay motivated to vote, if after multiple successive elections, you see your vote essentially wasted.

#496 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 08:29 AM

It is difficult to stay motivated to vote, if after multiple successive elections, you see your vote essentially wasted.

Your vote isn't wasted, your tribe didn't win!

I am not happy about the last election results at any level of Government but the reality is that people vote themselves cake. Governments keep promising and spending and telling people that they are victims and need to be saved from the wealthy (ie homeowners) bogeyman. Until the average Jane and Joe get tired of watching their communities fail and vote appropriately then nothing will change.

What you and I can do in the meantime is move to protect our assets and minimize the tax we pay to limit what Governments can waste.

Edited by spanky123, 05 April 2023 - 08:30 AM.

#497 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 08:35 AM

Your vote isn't wasted, your tribe didn't win...

It's wasted when you have elected officials basically saying "you didn't vote for me, so I have no reason to listen to your concerns".

• Stephen James likes this

#498 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 10 April 2023 - 10:49 AM

A big part of this Q&A, is touching on why councils may struggle to get out of their own way when it comes to housing, and attainable/affordable housing in particular.

Ten-on-the-10th-April-2023.jpg

Q&A with Citified's Mike Kozakowski on BC's new housing policies and overcoming supply roadblocks

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#499 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 13 April 2023 - 06:03 AM

The modern interpretations of the Charter, lax judicial decisions, repeat offenders, ghettoization through supportive housing precincts (Burnside Gorge), decriminalization of drugs and police defunding are not conservative-made issues, though, and appear to have all come around either under liberal governments or at the hands of liberal decisions makers/justices. There has also never been a time when all three levels of government are as united ideologically as they are today, and have been since 2017, in BC.

Which direct conservative policies over 30-40 years have led to today’s issues? If we go back to the closing of Riverview by the BC Linerals, that stemmed from the Charter, did it not?

2CCEEF24-5E94-4C06-AB8B-293BB1A69DD9.jpeg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#500 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 13 April 2023 - 06:08 AM

Spending cuts, my ass.

Somewhere ideologically we decided some years ago any miscreant clown that refused to work, that wanted a home, deserved a government-funded one.  

Previously, you had to be disabled in some (not drug-induced) way to qualify for social housing, least least to get it quickly (there has always been long lines for other social housing).

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 April 2023 - 06:09 AM.

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users