APPROVED
1050 Yates Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1050 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 25
1050 Yates Street is a proposal for a two-tower, 15 and 25-storey rental development fronting the 1000-block o... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1050 Yates Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] 1050 Yates Street | Rental; retail | 25 and 15-storeys

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#21 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 06 January 2023 - 03:53 PM

Seriously, what the heck is the deal with the drab cladding panels? I was holding out hope that we might dare to trend away from them, but after seeing that image I'm now wondering if we're trying to win industry awards for most excessive overuse. Even if parts of it are going to be covered in brick or other materials, it still seems like it would have to lean heavily on the panels.

If ever Victoria needed something that resembled a legitimate architectural design panel, methinks the moment is right now. Crikey, we used to joke about "brick fatigue", but it took several decades to get to that stage. This panels thing has happened in barely two or three years. Even the complaints about painted concrete took a lot longer to develop than this.

#22 downtownlurker

downtownlurker
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 January 2023 - 04:01 PM

Since this is pure rental Chard has every incentive to cut costs in the current interest rate/building material environment. As mentioned in other threads, these generic panels are likely the cheapest thing they can find and also probably help keep the design so conservative to make approvals easier.

• corvus likes this

#23 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 06 January 2023 - 04:06 PM

Meanwhile, we have to live with cheap exterior finishes for generations (see View Towers for a great historic example)

#24 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 06 January 2023 - 04:07 PM

...and also probably help keep the design so conservative to make approvals easier.

This possibility has been raised in some of the other controversies, in particular with HP2. Is the CoV actually advising developers that "bland is better"? I wouldn't be surprised. It would be like the perfect icing on the insanity cake.

Edited by aastra, 06 January 2023 - 04:13 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#25 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 06 January 2023 - 04:09 PM

Anyway, I await a more refined and detailed illustration. Until then I think I'll blow off some steam and go throw rocks in Mike K.'s swimming pool.*

*the Tahitian pool, not the Roman Villa pool

• Nparker likes this

#26 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 06 January 2023 - 04:33 PM

I would love to go back in time 25 years and inform Victorians that the day will eventually come when the city will relax all of its restrictive policies and attitudes re: downtown highrise buildings. Yes, the enlightened CoV will settle upon a style of highrise building which isn't merely tolerable and allowable, but which epitomizes a kind of perfected architectural and societal ideal. The enlightened CoV will determine that this same basic style should be asserted over all other forms of downtown construction. This is the kind of highrise building that will finally end all of the controversies. This is the kind of highrise building that we've all been waiting for.

And then I'd pull out pictures of some of these recent projects. And people would be like, "Huh?"

#27 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 January 2023 - 06:08 PM

When are we going to cut to the chase and just go for 45-storey buildings?

Too short. Gotta go bigger than that puny city to the north east. 100 storeys.
  • Nparker likes this

#28 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 06 January 2023 - 06:59 PM

Unrecognizable from earlier drawings

#29 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,879 posts

Posted 06 January 2023 - 10:04 PM

We’re not. In a strong wind (see climate change threads) that would just tip the whole island on its side.

Can’t you just put in a 120 storey underground keel?

#30 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 January 2023 - 11:29 AM

^Good luck getting Sparky to do something like that. It's hard enough getting him to take pictures of stuff. Sometimes you have to wait like 20 minutes.

#31 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 January 2023 - 11:36 AM

Can’t you just put in a 120 storey underground keel?

Offer us a keeler deal and we'll think about it.

#32 downtownlurker

downtownlurker
  • 64 posts

Posted 16 January 2023 - 09:54 AM

Seems Chards web page for this project has been removed

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 07:36 AM

From Chard:

Chard Development is excited to welcome public input on the programming and design of the 250m2 Public Plaza that will be created as part of the proposed development at 1050 Yates Street in Victoria.

The Public Plaza will front Yates Street and will follow the design guidelines and policies established by the City of Victoria. Please join us to provide your thoughts and feedback on the programming and draft design options.

DATE: February 1, 2023

TIME: 5pm to 7pm (Drop In Format)

Unable to join us but still eager to provide feedback? Please feel free to review the presentation boards linked here (https://charddevelop...please-join-us/) and complete our feedback survey. Responses will be collected through to 5pm on February 3, 2023.

Thank you for your participation!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#34 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 08:30 AM

24 hour security to deal with the inevitable presence of junkies.

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 06:13 PM

Details for this project are coming soon. We can expect 25 and 15-storeys, with five-storey podiums connecting the towers, and extending the massing along Johnson towards Dalmatian.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#36 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 06:43 PM

When are we going to cut to the chase and just go for 45-storey buildings?

Don't know how far they've got with it - I believe the proposal was approved - but just as Kelowna has a far nicer and prettier airport than we do :) they've also leapfrogged over poor Victoria in the race to blot out the sun with this 3-tower proposal up to 42 stories. Somewhere else I believe I stumbled over another separate proposal in the Valley of the Sun and Wine for 46 stories - 

https://static1.squa...roject 0225.pdf

Edited by AllseeingEye, 28 March 2023 - 07:42 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#37 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 06:50 PM

...We can expect 25 and 15-storeys, with five-storey podiums connecting the towers, and extending the massing along Johnson towards Dalmatian.

You mean something like this?

1050 Yates Jan 6 2023.jpg

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 March 2023 - 07:37 PM

Pretty similar, yes.

Know it all.

#39 downtownlurker

downtownlurker
  • 64 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 07:38 AM

You mean something like this?

This within the wider context of this intersections development is the alarming bit... Nest across the street looks to have tons of similar white and grey exterior finishes, and from the images, so does Phase 1 of Harris Green Village. Layer this with the shift to these 'smaller' windows, which really emphasize the visual impact of the cladding choices...

Edited by downtownlurker, 29 March 2023 - 07:39 AM.

#40 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 29 March 2023 - 08:22 AM

Is it just me or would the Caledonia project's massing and overall esthetic be a much better fit for the Mazda site?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users