APPROVED
1050 Yates Street
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 1050 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 25
1050 Yates Street is a proposal for a two-tower, 15 and 25-storey rental development fronting the 1000-block o... (view full profile)
Learn more about 1050 Yates Street on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown] 1050 Yates Street | Rental; retail | 25 and 15-storeys

• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#61 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 09:55 AM

So I guess we were wasting our time* when we were debating the pros and cons of an open square on the Yates/Cook corner (back when the first concept images for this block were unveiled).

*first time for everything

#62 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 10:12 AM

I gotta ask, why should the widescraper's tower levels facing south onto Yates Street be so plain and bare? No balconies and a few small-ish windows. That's the sort of treatment you expect when the edge of the building is in the middle of a block, because there's another building in close proximity.

The wide faces of the widescraper look like they'll have a decent amount of decently large windows, but of course from these kinds of illustrations we can never really be sure how much of it will be actual see-through windows as versus glass panels.

#63 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 10:14 AM

I don't know. I just don't dig this one. The widescraper seems like a modern interpretation of something Victoria would have been building in the 1970s. Something like Harbour Towers. I thought we had moved on from that stuff.

And I don't think I get the taller tower. It just looks inelegant to me. Although I have to admit I don't know if it closely resembles any other building in Victoria. A quick and dirty photoshop job suggests the taller tower's "stacked blocks" esthetic would look better if the top block was more slender than the block below.

#64 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 10:17 AM

I thought we had moved on from that stuff.

Chard projects were very influential re: moving things in a different direction. But now we've come full circle.

#65 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 707 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 10:35 AM

It might be a bit of a widescraper, but it has about the same height and massing as the dalmatian around the corner.

#66 downtownlurker

downtownlurker
  • 64 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 10:39 AM

I gotta ask, why should the widescraper's tower levels facing south onto Yates Street be so plain and bare? No balconies and a few small-ish windows. That's the sort of treatment you expect when the edge of the building is in the middle of a block, because there's another building in close proximity.

The wide faces of the widescraper look like they'll have a decent amount of decently large windows, but of course from these kinds of illustrations we can never really be sure how much of it will be actual see-through windows as versus glass panels.

100%. For Chard, this really started with Yello IMO. The south facing upper side of Yello is very sad looking, and this was carried over starkly to Vivid at the Yates on it's east and west sides, especially apparent from floors 9-18.  I get building performance and cost are major considerations for sure, but even a little more glass coverage to maximize views and natural light for residents and to be a bit more visually appealing for anyone looking at it would go a long way. I would love to know the cost savings of going this route vs. even slightly bigger windows, but it seems it is material enough to have and continue to implement. I think 989 Johnson did well in this respect vs. these big bland panels.

#67 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 15 May 2023 - 08:26 PM

This might be due to environmental/energy use changes to the code, yielding less window, more glazing.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#68 HarrisonGreene

HarrisonGreene
  • 63 posts

Posted 05 October 2023 - 12:13 PM

Is this proposal supposed to go before council anytime soon?

#69 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 October 2023 - 05:37 AM

I am not sure how much they have to. I believe that the project was approved en masse a few years ago before Chard owned it no? I think they recently took the new public space to council. Perhaps they need to go back for variances on the tower height?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#70 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 12:17 PM

...why should the widescraper's tower levels facing south onto Yates Street be so plain and bare? No balconies and a few small-ish windows.

So unless my eyes deceive me, it looks like the balconies now wrap around the corner onto the Yates Street side? And there are now some large windows on that side, too. Do those large windows face into units or the hallway/stairwell?

--

Chard-Mazda-rendering_Before_and_After.jpg

Edited by aastra, 05 December 2023 - 12:25 PM.

#71 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 12:39 PM

Can we have the tall tower from the image above on the left (better podium) and the shorter tower from the rendering above on the right (better balconies)?

1050 yates.jpg

#72 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 12:44 PM

I don't know. This one is still leaving me dissatisfied. Doesn't the podium/ground level vibe seem to be lacking any kind of identifiable personality? I'm not saying it's bad or dysfunctional or anything like that. It just seems to be an exceptionally generic example of a 21st-century podium.

#73 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 12:53 PM

That's why I prefer the taller tower podium in the combined rendering I posted. It feels a little less generic.

1050 yates detail.png

Edited by Nparker, 05 December 2023 - 12:55 PM.

#74 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 12:55 PM

The podium rendering here: https://victoria.cit...ic-mazda-lands/

Looks good to me, with some seriously over-height commercial spaces. We don’t see that too often.

1050-yates-street-pubilc-plaza.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#75 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 684 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 11:26 AM

Approved 9-0.

• Nparker likes this

#76 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 12:00 PM

Shocking - not.

#77 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 07 December 2023 - 01:07 PM

Great news!

That's a game-changer for Harris Green.

Next up (next week), is 937 View Street beside View Towers. 269 rental homes.

• Vin likes this

Know it all.

#78 YYJGuy

YYJGuy
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 January 2024 - 04:43 PM

Walking by the site and saw this notice.  Does this mean more changes coming?

1050-yates-sign.jpg

#79 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 09:02 AM

Welcome to VV!

I'll look into this. I thought council had already approved these variances.

Know it all.

#80 baconnbits

baconnbits
  • 235 posts

Posted 03 January 2024 - 08:08 PM

This is for the development permit tho? Was before just a zoning variance now going for DP with BP to follow I guess in 6 ish months

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users