Artificial Intelligence

• Please log in to reply
96 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,067 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 11:43 AM

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 September 2023 - 11:44 AM.

#2 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 02:44 PM

My posts are mostly artificial intelligence, if you include speech-to-text. Remember not long ago the best you could get was “Dragon NaturallySpeaking” and it wasn’t very good. The newer “programs” are almost flawless by comparison
  • Matt R. likes this

#3 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 03:08 PM

It’s not intelligent…. That’s marketing. Take away the data, and the human motivation and it’s nothing.

#4 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 05:36 PM

It’s not intelligent…. That’s marketing. Take away the data, and the human motivation and it’s nothing.

” ..Many speech recognition applications and devices are available, but the more advanced solutions use AI and machine learning… “: https://www.ibm.com/...ech-recognition

#5 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 18 September 2023 - 06:58 PM

It’s insane data wrangling far beyond what any human can do. It would be better at many tasks, like diagnosing illness for instance.

#6 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,047 posts

Posted 24 October 2023 - 12:21 PM

Anyone familiar with Kris Krüg? Really enjoying his work with ai lately. I find this guy endlessly fascinating and have followed his work for a bunch of years. I even got to be in front of his camera a few times!

“I'm thrilled and honored to share that I've been accepted to the prestigious Google's News Initiative Pre-launch Lab, where over 8 weeks an incredible cohort and mentors will support me in developing my independent media platform aimed at engaging audiences on a deeper level through inspiring stories and commentary at the intersection of technology, creativity and community.”

https://kriskrug.co/...698178629&amp=1

#7 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,067 posts

Posted 03 November 2023 - 01:40 AM

screenshot-twitter.com-2023.11.03-05_39_43.png

#8 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,067 posts

Posted 05 November 2023 - 12:34 AM

Elon Musk launches AI chatbot 'Grok’ — says it can outperform ChatGPT

Grok costs $16 per month on X Premium Plus. But for now it is only offered to a limited number of users in the United States.

https://cointelegrap...perform-chatgpt

Musk and the xAI team said a “unique and fundamental advantage” possessed by Grok is that it has real-time knowledge of the world via the X platform.

“It will also answer spicy questions that are rejected by most other AI systems,” Muska and xAI said. "Grok is designed to answer questions with a bit of wit and has a rebellious streak, so please don’t use it if you hate humor!"

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 05 November 2023 - 12:35 AM.

#9 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,067 posts

Posted 19 November 2023 - 04:53 AM

screenshot-twitter.com-2023.11.19-07_53_11.png

#10 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,067 posts

Posted 19 November 2023 - 08:01 AM

OpenAI’s overseers worried that the company was making the technological equivalent of a nuclear bomb, and its caretaker, Sam Altman, was moving so fast that he risked a global catastrophe.

So the board fired him. That may ultimately have been the logical solution.

But the manner in which Altman was fired – abruptly, opaquely and without warning to some of OpenAI’s largest stakeholders and partners – defied logic. And it risked inflicting more damage than if the board took no such action at all.

A company’s board of directors has an obligation, first and foremost, to its shareholders. OpenAI’s most important shareholder is Microsoft, the company that gave Altman & Co. $13 billion to help Bing, Office, Windows and Azure leapfrog Google and stay ahead of Amazon, IBM and other AI wannabes.

https://abc17news.co...-altman-firing/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 19 November 2023 - 08:01 AM.

#11 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 19 November 2023 - 08:07 AM

“ it risked inflicting more damage than if the board took no such action at all.”

I’m going to use this as my signature

#12 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 19 November 2023 - 08:53 AM

The firing defied logic, eh? Should have used AI to find a way to fire him.
  • Nparker, Matt R., Victoria Watcher and 1 other like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#13 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 19 November 2023 - 12:58 PM

I’m very interested in the information the board used to determine OpenAI is risking global catastrophe.

My guess is something very specific, not a general sense of ‘AI is dangerous’ (otherwise why would they be on the board)

#14 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,067 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 01:10 AM

screenshot-twitter.com-2023.11.20-04_09_53.png

• lanforod likes this

#15 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,067 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 07:34 AM

Hundreds of employees at ChatGPT maker OpenAI say they may quit the company and join former CEO Sam Altman at Microsoft unless the board of the company resigns.

The threat by about 500 employees is contained in a letter, seen by Reuters and several other media outlets.

Several mebers of OpenAI's top management signed the letter, including chief technology officer Mira Murati and chief operating officer Brad Lightcap.

"Your actions have made it obvious that you are incapable of overseeing OpenAI," the employees said in their letter. "We are unable to work for or with people that lack competence, judgement and care for our mission and employees."

https://www.cbc.ca/n...atgpt-1.7033588

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 20 November 2023 - 07:34 AM.

#16 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 07:49 AM

Surely these hundreds of OpenAI employees could be replaced by AI technology. If not now, certainly in the not too distant future. It's amusing watching people work to create their own demise.
  • ojoo42 likes this

#17 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,067 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 07:53 AM

I'm still patiently waiting to see what this AI craze is actually going to deliver.

#18 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 08:21 AM

“Weather forecasts may soon get better — with the help of AI”: https://globalnews.c...ce-weather/amp/

#19 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 08:23 AM

I'm still patiently waiting to see what this AI craze is actually going to deliver.

Claiming a product is capable of danger is a good way to promote a product, AI has been around.

#20 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 08:28 AM

Fear sells

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users