• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,070 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 05:14 AM

Seven-storey, 104-unit condo project proposed for McKenzie Ave. near Swan Lake

Condo development is proposed for 801, 811 and 821 McKenzie Ave. in Saanich.

#2 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,070 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 05:14 AM

screenshot-www.google.com-2023.10.22-09_14_26.png

#3 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,070 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 05:19 AM

Abstract’s plans for the three combined sites on McKenzie include 18 studio units, 64 one-bedroom and 22 two-bedroom units, though Saanich staff have already encouraged inclusion of some three-bedroom units.

The building will have one commercial unit at ground level, and two levels of underground parking with 89 parking spaces, which is 67 short of what the existing bylaws require.

Abstract is proposing $520,000 as a community amenity contribution to be used by the district as it sees fit.

https://www.timescol...an-lake-7718862

104 units and only 89 parking stalls.  Daring.  Lots of free all-day/night parking on Rainbow and Sevenoaks though.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 October 2023 - 05:21 AM.

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 06:27 AM

Odd it’s mentioned now in the paper. It’s been proposed for a while.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,070 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 06:28 AM

Whoops, that should be McKenzie Avenue.

#6 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 06:31 AM

And 6-storeys. Not sure how they’re calculating seven.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7 Blair M.

Blair M.
  • 134 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 07:43 AM

I lived at 984 McKenzie 40 years ago, and even back then the three blocks between Quadra and the Highway had largely given over to multiple large apartment complexes.

With the traffic on McKenzie today, those entire three blocks should be fully developed as condos and apartments.

Single family homes on that stretch of McKenzie have been dying a long, slow death for decades now. Saanich may as well embrace it and go full scale development, that development with appropriately designed, and safe vehicle access on and off the now mega-busy Mckenzie Ave.

#8 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,070 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 07:47 AM

I lived at 984 McKenzie 40 years ago, and even back then the three blocks between Quadra and the Highway had largely given over to multiple large apartment complexes.

With the traffic on McKenzie today, those entire three blocks should be fully developed as condos and apartments.

Single family homes on that stretch of McKenzie have been dying a long, slow death for decades now. Saanich may as well embrace it and go full scale development, that development with appropriately designed, and safe vehicle access on and off the now mega-busy Mckenzie Ave.

Agree.

What kind of a sports court is that at Rainbow Park?  Looks odd, the line paintings.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 October 2023 - 07:48 AM.

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 07:50 AM

Yes, that's the future for McKenzie. It's still being fought by residents of the area though, but it's inevitable. Saanich got confused when deciding not to approve Abstract's project on Raymond Street, overlooking the TCH/Tillicum intersection: https://victoria.cit...d-street-south/

I don't think the municipality will ever make the same mistake again, it's like it had a sensibility freeze. It was the more bizarre denial of a sensible project anywhere in the CRD, in many, many years.

Know it all.

#10 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,070 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 07:52 AM

^ Agree.

#11 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 08:15 AM

Yes, that's the future for McKenzie. It's still being fought by residents of the area though, but it's inevitable...

As Blair M. posted above, higher density development along the McKenzie corridor has been the "future" of this area for 40 years; probably longer than many of the existing residents have lived there. I am puzzled why anyone would be surprised by this.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#12 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,070 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 08:17 AM

I recall there was, in the 90's, some type of proposal by the Knights of Columbus for some social housing, closer to Quadra but on that same side.

Maybe where Otto was eventually built.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 October 2023 - 08:19 AM.

#13 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 10:25 AM

What kind of a sports court is that at Rainbow Park?  Looks odd, the line paintings.

Say what? Looks like basketball east/west and hockey north/south.

#14 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 10:27 AM

I would have expected you to key in. This certainly puts a crease in your reputation.

#15 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,070 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 10:28 AM

OK.

Never been a Victoria hockey fan.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 22 October 2023 - 10:28 AM.

• aastra, Nparker, Matt R. and 1 other like this

#16 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 10:28 AM

^Nor a basketball fan, apparently. Anyway, there are some lines we shouldn't cross.

It's still Sunday morning. Maybe things aren't quite meshing for you yet.

Edited by aastra, 22 October 2023 - 10:58 AM.

#17 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 10:29 AM

I'll stop slapping you around now.

#18 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 10:30 AM

I should get at least three points for those plays on words.

#19 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 10:30 AM

I should get at least three points for those plays on words.

In the court of public opinion.

#20 aastra

aastra
  • 20,763 posts

Posted 22 October 2023 - 10:38 AM

Seriously though, just this summer I was planning to guide some out-of-towners to Christmas Hill via bicycle. So I was examining that very same Swan Lake neighbourhood in order to figure out how to get to the pedestrian overpass. I was like, "Hey, what's this Rainbow Park?" I'm not sure I even knew Rainbow Park existed until then. Seems funny that we're talking about it now.

The epilogue to my fascinating story: unfortunately we severely underestimated how long it would take to cycle around other parts of town and we never did make it out to Christmas Hill after all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users