Posted 19 April 2007 - 02:29 PM

^ Actually that was Victoria news

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#83 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:33 PM

I'm not going to blame Brennan Clarke for the article's title or its blurb ("Developer offers to pay for new art gallery exhibit space in return for '400 per cent' density lift"). That's probably the editor's doing. But I think the rest of the article is pretty biased, too. Out of the 500 words that follow, "density" is used 5 times, and never positively. The middle bulk is taken up by worries and scares presented as "fact." For example, "...Marc Pakenham said the recent spate of tall buildings approved by Victoria council is emboldening other developers to test the limits of city policy," which conjures vandals at the gates, doesn't it? That Mr. Pakenham said what he said is a fact; that he spoke factually, however, isn't. I'm not sure any of us know for a fact what exactly "emboldens" developers. Psychic prognostication (on Pakenham's part) shouldn't be treated seriously (by respectable newspapers). It's the Victoria News, not the Cassandra News, but in the rush to get people excited, anything goes.

At the same time, he manages to miss every opportunity to dig critically, too. If he starts by saying that this proposal asks for a 400% density lift (in scare quotes -- why?, isn't it true?), then why doesn't he pin the traffic consultant to the wall when he insists that traffic will only increase 2-3%? I mean, people want to know. What's that figure based on? What's the 400% based on? Why bandy numbers about if they mean nothing?
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#84 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 04:59 PM

At least BClarke didn't take a quote from BARRA's mid April posting which included a traffic planner's opinion..

TRAFFIC! - it is impossible to access this site by car unless you are driving eastbound on Belleville. The current driveway access - so close to an intersection - would never be allowed now, and initial response from one of the traffic planners was along the lines of - "Now way Jose!".

Funny thing, it's impossible to access Roots unless you are driving northward along Government Street -

#85 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:13 PM

Aren't there two west bound lanes on Belleville already?

It seems to me if I were driving to James Bay (which I may have done only once or twice in my life) I'd just as soon take Superior St.

I'm trying, but I'm having difficulty seeing how this project in particular will cause traffic anarchy.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#86 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:25 PM

You can check Randall's posting at the beginning of this thread..

Bellville has 4 lanes each way... but....

The Douglas Bellville intersection has turning lanes which reduce the accessibility to the west end of the site...

you're not supposed to cross a double line as well....

ps: There are currently six curb cuts for access to the motel.. I'm sure that the opinion that the No Way Jose' traffic planner expressed meant that a new proposal would not get approval for several of them...

#87 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:29 PM

^ I think car access from Belleville is entirely eliminated in the new proposal.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#88 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 05:33 PM

OH!..

Have you got a new site plan?

Are they now planning to access the site from Douglas or Blanshard?

#89 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 06:34 PM

No, no new site plan to (my) hand, but my "inside source" (AGGV friends & supporters who went to the Fairfield presentation of Crystalview a few days back) raved about how Belleville isn't full of driveways. Not sure about whether new exits/ entrances are on Douglas or on Blanshard, though. I guess we could see the updated plan when Westbank presents to the DRA?

#90 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 07:29 PM

I was getting my info from the site plan that Randall posted when he started the thread.. as well as a "site visit" as I walked past..

On the site plan the project had only two curb cuts.. which have arrows on them.... an in and and out.

One can also see the entrance to the parking garage... on the west side of the tower podium..

#91 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 10:46 PM

I see that Rob Randall just posted an announcement of Westbank's upcoming presentation to the DRA on the General Discussion thread, here.

#92 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2007 - 11:00 PM

I see that Rob Randall just posted an announcement of Westbank's upcoming presentation to the DRA on the General Discussion thread, [url=http://vibrantvictoria.ca/forum/viewtopic.php?p=24592#24592:2f9aa]here[/url:2f9aa].

It seems Randall has his fingers in every pie baked around here lately. At some point, it'll all collapse like a house of cards.
  • Rob Randall likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#93 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 12:20 PM

If it gets the tower portion of this project built, could Westbank give the city the equivalent $$$ scheduled to be used for the AGGV satellite, to invest in a proper new gallery and library at Centennial Square. BTW I am going to continue to propose this concept until the City comes to its senses and realizes this is the ONLY logical plan with which to proceed.

#94 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 20 April 2007 - 01:37 PM

I think that is a pretty good idea because if you add up first the construction costs and second the price of that portion of land you would be able to invest a much larger portion of money on another cheaper option.

It has a whole new look!

#95 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 24 April 2007 - 08:37 AM

At the downtown Crystalview presentation last night a Westbank rep mentioned that they are hoping for Advisory Planning Committee and public hearing approval by September. Advisory Design Panel, an oftentimes arduous process in Victoria, will follow public hearing approval as per the Hudson.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#96 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:03 AM

OK, this explains the non-sensical quote in last week's Vic News:

Corrections

An April 18 story about plans to build a 21-storey high-rise on the site of Crystal Court Motel contained an error regarding the comments of Queen Victoria Hotel owner Tony Hartnell.

Hartnell said a seven-storey building on the north side of his building site would block 100 per cent of his hotel’s views of the Inner Harbour.

His statement about blocking 60 per cent of the hotel’s views referred to a building on the south side of the property that was erected in 1998.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#97 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 25 April 2007 - 10:32 AM

So they are recycling quotes now?

It has a whole new look!

#98 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 12:58 PM

The floorplate of the 19 storey tower is at right. The 21 storey version is a slimmer curve and has more open space around it:

The entrance and exit to the parking can be seen below the scultpture garden:

#99 zingzamzoom

zingzamzoom
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:20 PM

oops

#100 zingzamzoom

zingzamzoom
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 May 2007 - 03:21 PM

Those watercolors are really nice. The watergarden is really fantastic. There seems to be a quaint simplicity to this design that is quite striking to me. I can't quite grasp the scale of the tower though. It seems to have an outrageously small floorplate, although I am sure that is because I have accustomed myself to Victoria's current standards. Overall, I think ths is very beautiful and I look forward to seeing this project go forward.

Aaron

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users