[Downtown Victoria] Rock Bay bus depot | Canceled in 2007

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 05 April 2007 - 11:18 PM

There are some old bus depot posts in "The Core" thread but I though I'd start a dedicated one as it looks like its coming up to Public Hearing.

PUBLIC HEARING FOR NEW BUS DEPOT

Apr 5, 2007

THE LONG AWAITED MOVE OF THE PACIFIC COACH LINES BUS DEPOT FROM DOUGLAS AND BELLEVILLE TO DISCOVERY STREET HAS JUMPED ANOTHER HURDLE.

THE CITY OF VICTORIA HAS RECEIVED A STAFF REPORT ON THE REDEVELOPMENT AND HAS SENT THE ISSUE TO A PUBLIC HEARING.

DEVELOPPER JOHN HOPPER SAYS IT'S BEEN A LONG PROCESS BUT THE FEW OF THE ISSUES OF CONTENTION HAVE BEEN DEALT WITH. HOPPER SAYS THE MAIN ISSUE INVOLVES THE ROUTE THE BUS TAKES WHEN IT ARRIVES AND DEPARTS THE DEPOT.

SOME COUNCILLORS SAY MOVING THE BUS DEPOT WILL HELP TO IMPROVE THAT PART OF ROCK BAY.

THE DATE OF THE PUBLIC HEARING HAS NOT BEEN SET.

- NIKKI EWANYSHYN
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#2 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:19 AM

Are they thinking on the parking lot on Discovery at Store?

#3 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 07:27 AM

Nope the buildings across the street.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#4 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 08:29 AM

What route did they decide these buses should go?
Past President of Victoria's Flâneur Union Local 1862

#5 rayne_k

rayne_k
  • 170 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:11 PM

Am I the only one that thinks this will herald the era of a "the scuzzy bus depot district" in Victoria? We've been spared so far, it's a shame to see it happen.

I can see how they might need more space, but I love the location (and lack of loitering space) at the current depot..

It's a pity that the industry can't afford something more creative for the same location: like 2 a story depot with buses on the first level: Escalator up, buy your tix, tag your luggage and drop it into a slide like the one at Swartz Bay, escalator down, board your bus, and go.

#6 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 April 2007 - 09:34 PM

^Totally agree.

#7 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 27 April 2007 - 12:12 PM

I walked past this site today, and decided that the Bus Depot will be a great benefit to this area, and hopefully spur on more development. I'd love to see the Island Asphalt business moved though as this could be a great waterfront deveopment site. I know working harbour and all, but surely they could relocate to another location. In general this part of Rock bay, with some significant density in housing and lots of funky retail and assorted businesses could become the SOHO or Greenwich Village of Victoria's future.

#8 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:18 AM

I am strongly in favor of the bus depot being located there. With all the development coming in at the North end of Downtown it makes sense for a transportation hub to be located here. I see South downtown as more touristy, and North downtown as more for the locals and young people. Im hoping to see more market housing like the Juliet that comes in at the lower end rates for first time buyers, or rental housing like the LeFevre project on Herald. The area is already buggy with art studios, nice little indi shops and cafes.. not to mention Chinatown. It links easily to the Goose and to the harbour ferry, especially considering the new Harbour Ferry stop at Riesen Park.

I think it will stimulate growth in that area, and I honestly think much of our problem down there is the vacant lots. I know that this depot was designed with a full CPTED (Crime Prevention through Environmental Design) consultation, which helps and I like that they have left the Rock Bay side as a green corridor, in preparation for what may become. The addition of over 90 underground parking spaces (if that is still on the books) is great for people who work in that area. Putting parking spots on the edge of downtown instead of right in the middle makes sense... especially considering the proximity to bus and ferry.

I was disapointed with the density, I would like to see them take fuller advantage of the site, however, I understand that the owner has an adjacent lot which he would like to develop down the road, and that the over-abundance of parking spots that is being provided was intended to be applied to requirements for this future building, which bodes well for the projected density there.

I don't want to see Island Asphalt move, that is one of our only deep enough harbours for those barges to come in. Other potential sites that would meet that need are in the Western Communities. The material processed on that site is mostly consumed in the Core and I see it as a hugely important engine of our growth, not to mention about 2,000 jobs directly involved with Rock Bay industry, many of which are held by people from the Burnside/Hillside area, which is already depressed enough without taking that many jobs to Colwood. Furthermore, to move that industry out of the harbour would then mean that the material would need to be trucked in. Each of those barges holds 60 tons of material, so imagine adding 60 one ton trucks or 120 half ton trucks as contractors bring in their supplies to the Colwood crawl.

But I think that industry and office and residential can and should be able to be blended harmoniously. Done right, industry can even be treated as a feature... a la Selkirk. While it is true that higher end residential tends to move into a working harbour and then ***** about the noise, the same is not necessarily true of working class residential or student/lower income residential. Also, buffer land use can greatly reduce the impact of industrial ... things that can co-exist with both residential and industrial uses and sit between them, this bus depot design seems to do that well, with greenery (does it still have the green roof? I haven't seen the plans in a few months) along with sound barriers that will help mitigate the dust and from both buses and industry.

I am trying to find information about the Tacoma PCL depot, which became a catalyst for the revitalisation of a depressed area of Tacoma. But Im coming up short. The leveraging opportunities were particularlly well done in that case, and I hope that Victoria's business community takes advantage of leveraging as well as Tacoma did.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 April 2007 - 11:38 AM

You mean [url=http://www.bergerabam.com/portfolio/pwt/multimodal/index.cfm?id=127:74789]Tacoma Dome Station[/url:74789]?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#10 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 01:50 PM

Thanks for the details re Island Asphalt, Caramia. I still think it's a nasty eyesore, but I suppose with the proper buffers around it, perhaps it's visual impact could be lessened. I am not trying to encourage a non-working harbour and I agree that the only way a vibrant community can exist is with the right mix of residential, commercial, retail and light industry (or at least some elements of MOST of these). Take the non-residential components out and one ends up with a soul-less, life-less, high-end housing ghetto... aka the Songhees. I just see SUCH potential for the Rock bay area, IF done right. Sadly, Victoria's recent history with such opportunities does not make me too optimistic, but I remain hopeful, that this time we get lucky.

#11 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 April 2007 - 02:04 PM

Granville Island demonstrates a cement plant can be part of a mixed use neighbourhood.

As far as a bus depot, I think Rock Bay will improve despite the presence of a new bus depot not because of it. I'm not aware of any stand-alone bus depot bringing vibrancy to a neglected area.

Whatever is built there will trigger new development--restaurant, retail, studios etc etc. Saying a bus depot is a good fit because it will jumpstart development is a bit iffy I'm afraid.

#12 renthefinn

renthefinn
  • 571 posts

Posted 02 May 2007 - 10:46 PM

Island Asphalt has an exit strategy for its current holdings downtown. I expect them to do something with the property once Lehigh's Colwood operations are seized. They have been looking for other aggregate sources, but I'm not sure whether that means they will stay downtown. Most of the structures, and equipment located on the site are easily removable, with exception of the foundations. The employment directly affected by the Island Asphalt plant is significant, directly at the plant it's probably less than 10, but servicing and dependant industries probably number up to 200. Now trucking in from their proposed new location would cause a hassle (getting material on time with the right temp) but that can be overcome. It would put local municipal crews into some jeopardy though, I'd expect to see many more potholes if they moved. Anyways, some thoughts on the situation, I hope I cleared something up for someone. If I got anything wrong, please let me know.

#13 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:40 PM

The public hearing was scheduled for the 23rd but I am told it has been taken off at the request of the developer in order to revise the plan. I'll try to find out what this means.

#14 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 10:09 AM

I understand that this is a dead proposal, since the new owners of the Empress have no designs on the current bus depot land.

#15 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 03:51 PM

Yup I heard this one is dead to.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#16 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 04:52 PM

Nice to know that the first impression many will get of Victoria is still going to be our "world-class" bus terminal. Let's put some more hanging baskets outside and maybe some sort of plaza... that aught to make it all better.

#17 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 03 November 2007 - 07:01 PM

/sigh
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#18 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 01:31 PM

2-1/2 years on, does anyone care that we didn't get a new bus terminal?

#19 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:04 PM

Every time I look at the old one, I think of what could have been.

#20 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 14 August 2009 - 02:12 PM

I didn't care much for the look of the proposal.

Has anyone ever seen the new bus station in Regina? It seems to be pretty nice.

Saunders says many bus depots "are not very attractive." He argues a bus terminal should be as nice as any airport.

http://www.newstalk6...ry/20080613/979

More pics:
http://www.newstalk6...us-depot-regina

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users