Photo

Google Street View and Google Maps in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#1 josephelopod

josephelopod
  • 24 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:20 PM

this isn't officially launched yet but looks like it has full capability. this might be a fun way to make collective bike routes, galleries or washrooms, that sort of thing

#2 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:31 PM

I was thinking it could be good for all sorts of development discussions.

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 29 March 2009 - 09:23 PM

Gordon Price thinks this new CanPages street view is better than Google.

http://pricetags.wor...er-than-google/
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 30 March 2009 - 11:13 AM

^Wow. That's awesome. How did they do that?

#5 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 08:40 PM

I was in the middle of my morning routine today when I got the word that a Google car was spotted heading toward Cook St. Village. This means Victoria will soon be part of Google Street View. I wish I had more warning as I would have raced to the living room window and displayed a pressed ham.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#6 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 June 2009 - 09:06 PM

^LOL!

I'm surprise google's going to streetmap lil' old Victoria so soon, but it's great!

Everyone be on the lookout and let us know if you see a google car any time soon!

#7 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 10:47 AM

Oh cool!!! It's about time Victoria got added! Street view is so cool.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#8 ptolomeus

ptolomeus
  • 161 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 01:10 PM

I saw the google car this morning while walking on Oak Bay Av, it was driving into the side streets!

#9 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:34 PM

I wonder how long till we see victoria street view up and viewable.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#10 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,426 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 02:53 PM

I saw the Google car cruising the streets last summer. I thought we'd have had streetview by now.

The getup looked similar to the vehicle in this picture:

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#11 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 06:01 PM

Is there any connection between Google mapping and the helicopter that was buzzing over the city today at an extremely low elevation (i.e. barely skimming the roof of my building)? Bright yellow helicopter - smaller than any Coast Guard helicopter I've ever seen - with a large camera out front. It criss crossed the downtown area about a dozen times.

Today's TC had an article about home robberies in Russia (the villas of the rich and infamous) being planning by referencing Google maps. Makes me glad that I don't have an estate.......
Pieta VanDyke

#12 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 07:10 PM

Is there any connection between Google mapping and the helicopter that was buzzing over the city today at an extremely low elevation (i.e. barely skimming the roof of my building)?

I saw that today too and had the same thought. I can't think of what else it could be.

EDIT: See, Google answers all our questions!

http://www.timescolo...9619/story.html

The Google map car at the corner of Old Esquimalt Road and Head Street, in Vic West, in Victoria, B.C. June 3, 2009.

Photograph by: Adrian Lam, Times Colonist

#13 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 June 2009 - 09:17 PM

Is there any connection between Google mapping and the helicopter that was buzzing over the city today at an extremely low elevation (i.e. barely skimming the roof of my building)? Bright yellow helicopter - smaller than any Coast Guard helicopter I've ever seen - with a large camera out front. It criss crossed the downtown area about a dozen times.

Today's TC had an article about home robberies in Russia (the villas of the rich and infamous) being planning by referencing Google maps. Makes me glad that I don't have an estate.......

Could be Microsoft Live getting an update on their images.

#14 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 11:36 AM

I got a phone call back from Transportation Canada. They tell me that they gave special permission (with conditions) for this helicopter to fly below the posted altitude. Turns out they are filming a PBS documentary about Victoria. Permission was for 3 days, ending today.

(the special conditions relate to the pilot qualifications, type of aircraft etc.)
Pieta VanDyke

#15 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 12:51 PM

Said copter:

#16 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 12,877 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:43 PM

Wonder what the PBS special is about?

#17 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 01:58 PM

Related to this?

Four members of a film crew are shooting for a documentary called Vision of Canada that explores the beauty and geography of the country. The film is to air on U.S. network PBS.

http://www.cbc.ca/ca...entary-pbs.html

#18 Bernard

Bernard
  • 4,241 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 June 2009 - 04:36 PM

I saw that today too and had the same thought. I can't think of what else it could be.

EDIT: See, Google answers all our questions!

http://www.timescolo...9619/story.html

The Google map car at the corner of Old Esquimalt Road and Head Street, in Vic West, in Victoria, B.C. June 3, 2009.

Photograph by: Adrian Lam, Times Colonist

I saw it at Maddock and Harriet today

#19 Barra

Barra
  • 592 posts

Posted 04 June 2009 - 09:11 PM

"Four members of a film crew are shooting for a documentary called Vision of Canada that explores the beauty and geography of the country. The film is to air on U.S. network PBS.

The helicopter will be flying no lower than 150 metres above the ground in the downtown core and no lower than 90 metres above the ground in outlying areas, a news release from the city said."

Yup, that would be it. They've been filming at Mt. Washington as well.

Interesting that Calgary informed the populace in advance. My neighbour told me that there was a security alert at the Naden base - I guess Transport Canada neglected to tell the Dept. of National Defence.........
Pieta VanDyke

#20 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 05 June 2009 - 08:26 AM

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users