Google Street View and Google Maps in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#21 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 07:57 AM

Question: the google street view car came down my road well over a month ago, how long does it take too view image

Double07Iwish
Level 1
5/9/09

barryhunter
Top Contributor
5/9/09
Joel H (Google Employee) + 2 other people say this answers the question:
I think it tends to be 9 months to a year. (if at all - not all imagry is used for various reasons)

BTW, here's another view of that documentary copter.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#22 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,365 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 June 2009 - 12:12 PM

Has Google left Victoria yet? Is it safe to leave my home? :P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#23 phx

phx
  • 1,429 posts

Posted 21 June 2009 - 01:56 PM

The Google car went past my house too fast for me to do anything clever. :(

#24 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 June 2009 - 08:53 AM

TC letter on Google street view privacy.

meanwhile:

Great street view capture--and a warning to those out cruising: A white van is preferable to that vintage Puma with the custom paint job:

http://twitpic.com/7r6sz

more
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#25 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:33 AM

Another good article on StreetView, focusing on its objective photography, accompanied by some great screencaps:

One year ago, I started collecting screen captures of Google Street Views from a range of Street View blogs and through my own hunting. This essay illustrates how my Street View collections reflect the excitement of exploring this new, virtual world. The world captured by Google appears to be more truthful and more transparent because of the weight accorded to external reality, the perception of a neutral, unbiased recording, and even the vastness of the project.

#26 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 10:46 AM

^ that was a neat article..... looks like CanPages gonna rival Streetview:

http://www.thestar.c.../article/679194

#27 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 August 2009 - 11:02 AM

I was looking through the Canpages Street Scene for Vancouver (particularly the DTES). There are so many For Sale signs, renovations in progress and vacant lots being developed you realize this area is going through a profound change. It occurred to me how important it is to archive it. Presumably, Street Scene and Street View will be updated through the years. Think how excited we get when a "new" vintage B&W photo of Downtown is posted--think of how great it would be to have 360 degree colour views of every street decade by decade.

#28 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 07:36 AM

CBC:

Google Street View, a feature of Google Maps that shows high-resolution street-level images on the internet, has gone live in several Canadian cities.

The service is now available in Toronto, Calgary, Montreal, Quebec City, Halifax, Vancouver, Squamish, B.C., Whistler, B.C., Ottawa, Kitchener, Ont., and Waterloo, Ont.

We should keep an eye out for Victoria soon.

#29 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 10:46 AM

last spring Mike and I were in Vancouver and we saw the street view car on the Granville St. bridge. it was a hatch-back with an ungodly contraption on it's roof. it was pulled over on the side of the road with a support car behind it and people fretting-about the camera equipment.

personally, I think the birds-eye-view on maps.bing.com is the coolest, and a great pastime.

#30 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:32 PM

build your own street view system:

http://www.wired.com...et-view-camera/

Using eight cheap webcams, a GPS receiver and open-source software, West Point graduate Roy D. Ragsdale built a rig that can do what Google’s Street-View cars do: take images of the world around it and stitch them together into panoramas. The difference? This version can be carried on your head and costs just $300 to make.

#31 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:37 PM

Even more interesting than street view (for some folks), Google is now displaying parcel data.

sample map

USA only of course, for now...

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 October 2009 - 05:51 PM

Even more interesting than street view (for some folks), Google is now displaying parcel data.

sample map

That really is great, amazing technology.

When the Chinese finally do take us over, it sure will be nice for them to have all the correct geographical info before they get here... ;) They'll be able to build the forced-labour camps for us away from ecologically sensitive areas..

#33 LJ

LJ
  • 9,130 posts

Posted 08 October 2009 - 07:10 PM

sample map

The CRD maps show parcel data now.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#34 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 11 October 2009 - 05:53 PM

Yes, they have for a while.

Google's parcel addition is interesting to me for a few reasons - because they have the info for so many jurisdictions, because the sources/accuracy aren't listed, and lastly because it is a private company displaying public data that may not always be available freely to the public from the source.

There is a shwack of comments on this at this blog:
http://www.spatially...r-own-map-data/

#35 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 09:06 AM

This is Alberta, but it's worth mentioning because it will wow you. It's the Badland's Guardian, a natural rock formation. Enter 50.010083,-110.113006 into Google Maps and zoom in.

#36 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 October 2009 - 10:34 PM

The CRD maps show parcel data now.

Parcel Data? Do you mean they have a satellite up there that can see what I'm buying?

#37 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 17 October 2009 - 12:30 AM

@ Holden
I like the earphones..
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:32 PM

I was in the middle of my morning routine today when I got the word that a Google car was spotted heading toward Cook St. Village. This means Victoria will soon be part of Google Street View. I wish I had more warning as I would have raced to the living room window and displayed a pressed ham.

It has arrived.

#39 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 08:34 PM

very odd coverage on Saltspring.

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,572 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 07:20 AM

The Google Street View mobile is back in Victoria. It was spotted last night at Cedar Hill X and Cedar Hill and looked to be either a Subaru or Toyota wagon (Matrix?). It was white with a green Google banner and, of course, the giant camera contraption atop the roof.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users