Photo

Google Street View and Google Maps in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
268 replies to this topic

#41 Derek

Derek
  • 1 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 04:18 PM

I saw it a few weeks ago too, a Subaru. Apparently they've been back already since August?

Google Street View back in Victoria?

#42 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 05:56 PM

I saw it in Duncan 2 days ago.

#43 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,364 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:10 PM

The Google Street View mobile is back in Victoria. It was spotted last night at Cedar Hill X and Cedar Hill and looked to be either a Subaru or Toyota wagon (Matrix?). It was white with a green Google banner and, of course, the giant camera contraption atop the roof.

I saw it a few weeks ago too, a Subaru. Apparently they've been back already since August?

Sheesh, you guys are way too into public transport for your own good, it's a Hyundai Santa Fe. Well, at least the one in the link.

:P

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#44 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:20 PM

Saw him and waved! he looked confused, as if I had just waved at a regular motorist.
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#45 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,574 posts

Posted 21 September 2011 - 06:29 PM

This should keep you street view addicts busy for a while.

I can't post the naked gal they snapped in Florida recently.....you can Google that yourself.

http://www.streetviewfun.com/

#46 LJ

LJ
  • 9,122 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 07:40 PM

Sheesh, you guys are way too into public transport for your own good, it's a Hyundai Santa Fe. Well, at least the one in the link.

:P

Sure it's not a Tribeca?
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#47 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,364 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:04 PM

Sure it's not a Tribeca?

Positive.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#48 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:22 PM

If new StreetView imagery is coming soon we are going to have to scrape the existing images of key views and save them for posterity. There are some rare and irreplaceable images of buildings under construction. More importantly, there are views of buildings that have been demolished recently. The old Lens & Shutter building is one example.

Just think how amazing it would be to have Victoria StreetView 1920.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#49 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:37 PM

What I'm really surprised google hasn't done is add a "history" button on street view that lets you cycle between any available pictures over various previous dates.

#50 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:46 PM

^That's a good idea. I don't know if there are any areas that have been done three times. Apparently, these new cities are being photographed in high definition with new equipment.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#51 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,574 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:48 PM

^ What happened to the proposed 3D?

#52 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 08:53 PM

^ What happened to the proposed 3D?

Right-click (and grab your red/blue glasses).

#53 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,574 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 09:26 PM

^ I had better start paying attention. I borrowed a pair of 3D glasses from Silver City the last time I was there..(you can't even drive with those)...but it would appear that I have to find the red/blue ones that I nicked when I was at the Odeon watching "13 Ghosts". :)

#54 maniac78

maniac78
  • 271 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 06:00 AM

They were doing bike trails around Nanaimo during the summer I wonder when the goose is going to be "trailviewed"

#55 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:15 AM

Is suspect the new vehicle is using new technology. It didn't appear to be the traditional camera setup that I had seen online. I had read somewhere in the past that they would be collecting data with laser imaging in the future, so maybe that's what i saw?
Atop the vehicle was a globe with several windows. It looked very high tech.

If it was a laser the results will be significantly better. We'll be seeing 3d images at a much faster refresh time, instead of the slow 2d photos we are used to.

But maybe I'm just getting ahead of myself.

#56 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,364 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:01 PM

I've seen the streetview car twice the last couple of days, both times with the camera down and wrapped up.

#57 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 10,574 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

I saw it yesterday and the camera was wrapped up in a black cover.

#58 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 02:27 PM

Wow, we better start scraping and saving the old views soon. I was just looking at the Courtney St. one today with The Falls under construction.

#59 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 03:27 PM

I'm shocked street view doesn't offer an archive function. Like the ability to roll-back to any previously done street view by year. Imagine the historical value of being able to see what just about any place in the world looked like every couple years.

#60 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 18,364 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 May 2012 - 05:43 PM

I was thinking that would be nice, but I suspect Google is just coming back to do new roads and not take pictures of everything again.

They do have satellite images that go back several years.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users