Photo

Beacon Hill Park

• Please log in to reply
828 replies to this topic

#521 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 11:40 AM

...when are we going to remove the duck ponds from Beacon Hill Park? 

They are not part of the natural landscape, so hopefully soon.

#522 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:08 PM

That walkway concept looks amazing. Of course it will never happen, but it looks amazing. 

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#523 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:20 PM

Tourism Victoria really should push for it. Ya parks do not pay TV annual dues but we need anything that keeps tourist here just one extra day. We could make cool sidewalk markings from the harbour to the park.
  • Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#524 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:43 PM

Cool sidewalk markings? What are aspiring to become, Nanaimo circa 1992?

• Bingo likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#525 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 02:47 PM

The problem is that there is no "tourist brochure" or even a BHP website. Nobody is vouching for it. We need to show people it's right freaking there, no bus required. Then we need to make it better.
  • Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#526 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 March 2018 - 09:16 AM

Yosemite Park in California opens up a discreet Starbucks with no exterior signage.

“We understand that there is some concern among park purists, but we heard from many guests who expressed support for the change,” he said. “We ultimately selected Starbucks based on feedback from guests, and because it aligns with our goals of elevating the food and beverage offerings throughout the park.”

https://www.theguard...MP=share_btn_tw

#527 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 May 2018 - 06:42 AM

New path through Beacon Hill Park to connect James Bay, Fairfield

The timeline for completion of the project is still up in the air.

More:

https://vancouverisl...field-1.3926538

#528 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 13 May 2018 - 08:32 AM

New path through Beacon Hill Park to connect James Bay, Fairfield

The timeline for completion of the project is still up in the air.

More:

https://vancouverisl...field-1.3926538

http://www.timescolo...park-1.23299007

“There’s an existing pathway right now. We’re simply widening it out. It’s 1.5 metres. We’re widening it out to 2.7,” Dellebuur said.

Nice, but widening an existing path isn't exactly new.

In many respects, the city will simply be improving what is already being used as a multi-modal path.

“Currently cyclists are not permitted on that pathway in the park, but we were unable get a photo when we were out there that didn’t have a cyclists using the path,” Dellebuur said.

Hey... I just thought of a great way to get the city to remove stop signs.  :lol:

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#529 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:12 AM

I really miss having the Canada Day picnic in Beacon Hill park. We always used to have a wander down. I think it was the so-called "Friends of Beacon Hill Park" who got it ousted. Bunch of busybodies if they don't even like a community picnic there.

• Nparker, Bob Fugger, grantpalin and 1 other like this

#530 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 01 July 2018 - 07:37 AM

If I was ever to run for public office, one of my campaign promises would be to review and revise/remove the BHP covenant. It’s one thing to keep it natural, but quite another to zealously ban anything and everything. It’s not the 1800s anymore and people perceive and use public space space differently today. Tightly controlling food trucks, public events and attractions are not anathema.

How come cities with World class parks like Stanley Park, Balboa Park, Griffiths Park, Central Park, etc. have all figured it out?!
  • Nparker, sebberry, grantpalin and 1 other like this

#531 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:20 AM

It seems obvious to me that the point was to prevent park space from being carved off permanently for exclusive non-recreational purposes as if the land was merely so much underutilized space in a very convenient location (the large city works yard in BHP would be an example of the sort of thing that shouldn't have been allowed). You really need to twist words to read the following as some sort of prohibition against temporary non-exclusive recreational events of any kind.

The legal action against the City allowing the Agricultural Hall on Park land was carried to the Supreme Court. Judge Matthew Begbie ruled on August 30, 1884, that the building was not an acceptable use because it did not constitute public recreational use and enjoyment, according to The Trust, though he specified cricket and lawn bowling facilities as acceptable, as well as horse racing. Begbie specifically noted that, in his opinion, the following uses were also not permitted: a university, sanatorium, a barracks for soldiers a lunatic asylum, and a cemetery. Begbie’s ruling, “Anderson vs. Corporation of the City of Victoria,” concluded that the Park was not to be used “for general purposes of profit, or utility, however great the prospect of these may be.” (Ireland,“Memorandum re: Title to Beacon Hill Park," p.9)

from http://www.beaconhil...ts/chapter5.htm

Edited by aastra, 01 July 2018 - 09:20 AM.

#532 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 09:41 AM

But it can be used for overnight camping. We live in a strange world.

• rmpeers likes this

#533 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 July 2018 - 10:18 AM

For anybody that remembers the sheer joy of being at Luminara (me with my daughter) on a nice night in Beacon Hill Park ... the ban is utterly ridiculous.

As well ... I'm not one who normally gives kudos to COV workers, but the Beacon Hill Parks maintanance staff does an amazing job of keeping the park the perfect blend of "cultivated" with "just wild enough".

It's a beautiful park, truly the shining gem of the COV ... even more so than the Inner Harbour.

I'd like to see unique activities in Beacon Hill Park all through the summer, daytime and in the evening. It's truly a missed opportunity for the residents of the region.

• Nparker, Matt R., pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#534 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 July 2018 - 10:36 AM

Luminara was a funding issue, if memory serves correctly, not due to the commercial activity ban in the park. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#535 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 01 July 2018 - 10:41 AM

Luminara was a funding issue, if memory serves correctly, not due to the commercial activity ban in the park. 

Weren't the two issues sort of related? As long as Luminara took place at BHP there could be no monetary/fund-raising component during the event.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#536 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 July 2018 - 11:08 AM

Weren't the two issues sort of related? As long as Luminara took place at BHP there could be no monetary/fund-raising component during the event.

Exactly ... they're now at St. Anns Academy (I believe) where they can sell things, and raise money in any way they see fit to.

The COV position was that they were welcome to hold the event in Beacon Hill Park, but they couldn't even think about trying to recover any costs by charging attendees a fee, or otherwise trying to raise money from those in attendance.

In other words, the "funding issue" was entirely the result of the by-law.

• Nparker and sebberry like this

#537 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 07:24 AM

Luminara was really lovely. Remember the year when there was also an accompanying thunder storm?

I know city workers have a heck of a time keeping the park clean from all sorts of nasty stuff. Not a job I would want.

#538 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,865 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 03:07 PM

Staff at the City of Victoria are asking council for $3.85 million to replace the balustrade along Dallas Road.

The 500 m long, seafoam-green wall is made of concrete and steel and was installed along the strip in 1957. It has now reached the end of its life.

In August council endorsed the replacement of the balustrade and approved $150,000 for designs.

At the time staff reported that the costs would be “over $1 million for removal/replacement/fabrication installation, not including contingencies.”

Now costs have been estimated significantly higher to also include the for pavement, sidewalk, bike lane and bollard installation ($1.17 million) and railing and structural manufacture and installation ($1.09 million). Staff also added a 30 per cent contingency, equating $890,000, to cover potential issues.

“A 30 per cent contingency has been applied to this project which is in line with the City’s contingency policy on large projects,” the report reads. “On this project, staff are managing risks related to contaminated materials, archaeology and the removal of 60-year-old concrete structure.”

https://www.vicnews....riple-to-3-85m/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 03 March 2020 - 03:08 PM.

#539 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,686 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 03:48 PM

Now costs have been estimated significantly higher to also include the for pavement, sidewalk, bike lane...

How much without the bike lane?

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#540 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 05:37 PM

I love that seafoam green colour. It looks nice next to the ocean. Not impressed with the look of the new wire railings.

Also don't like farther long Dallas Road where they've planted trees which will eventually block the seaview. Seems crazy to me.

Edited by mbjj, 03 March 2020 - 05:38 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users