Photo

Beacon Hill Park

• Please log in to reply
828 replies to this topic

#541 Midnightly

Midnightly
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 05:46 PM

doesn't the seafoam green concrete and steel railing serve a purpose (more then just preventing people and cars from going over the edge) isn't it also there to help against bad wind storms as an added barrier? something that some chain and flimsy railing would never do

#542 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 03 March 2020 - 07:34 PM

... Not impressed with the look of the new wire railings. .....

Just think of it as a low hanging telephone pole.

#543 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 08:22 AM

I don't think this post really has much to do with Beacon Hill Park but there doesn't seem to be a thread about the Dallas Road waterfront.

Council has voted to replace the concrete balustrade along Dallas with a cable and steel design. I suppose I'll get used to it. I don't find myself going to that part of town all that much these days anyway. It's Councillor Thornton-Joe's false equivalency that puzzles me a little...

...people were once adamantly opposed to the railing on the Ogden Point breakwater, but have come to appreciate the design.“I walked it two weeks ago and everybody — even myself — was saying how it’s improved it,” she said. “I think [despite] people’s concerns and fears, they actually are now more supportive of it.”..

https://www.timescol...able-1.24091798

The railing installation made the breakwater more accessible to people (myself included) who didn't feel all that comfortable walking there before it was put in place. I fail to see the similarity with this decision.

• Midnightly and Victoria Watcher like this

#544 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 02:41 PM

I loved the breakwater before the railings were put in as I liked to sit on the edge and dangle my legs over the edge. :)

#545 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 02:47 PM

The railing installation made the breakwater more accessible to people (myself included) who didn't feel all that comfortable walking there before it was put in place. I fail to see the similarity with this decision.

I think it refers to aastra's thesis that Victorians don't like new things as much as the old things until the new things eventually become old and then they'll like that better than the newer thing.

#546 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 02:48 PM

I loved the breakwater before the railings were put in as I liked to sit on the edge and dangle my legs over the edge. 

You still can if you're legs are thin enough.

Breakwater.jpg

• Rob Randall and mbjj like this

#547 aastra

aastra
  • 20,749 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 03:40 PM

Has a vehicle ever hit (hard) the existing railing?

#548 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 03:58 PM

^You seem to be thinking that if a car hit it hard enough you'd go through it like an avocado slicer.

#549 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 06 March 2020 - 07:13 PM

^ Always liked the old barrier myself but in recent decades it seems the city is on site seemingly every year patching up great gobs of it; for the most part it rusts from the inside out. Eventually just slapping coat after coat of paint over it year over year doesn't cut it. Agree though the rendering of the proposed replacement is underwhelming. "Less robust" is one thing but that image in the VicNews link reminds me of the fence used at my uncle's dairy farm in Nova Scotia to pen in the pigs.....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 06 March 2020 - 07:13 PM.

#550 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 05:28 PM

Beacon Hill Park traffic could be limited to allow for more physical distancing space

Victoria council looks at ways to create more outdoor spaces

https://www.vicnews....stancing-space/

Victoria mayor seeks expedited patio permits, permanent ban on vehicles in Beacon Hill Park

https://vancouverisl...-park-1.4934375

Helps told CTV News on Friday the city would be looking to take aggressive moves to open up public spaces to pedestrian-friendly businesses around the city.

“I hope that council will make some quick decisions next Thursday,” Helps

said Friday.

“We’ll react as quickly as possible – as proactively as possible – to get some of those measures in place," the mayor said.

"We’re not going to be doing a whole bunch of public consultation. We need to act quickly. We’re coming out of an emergency situation.”

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 12 May 2020 - 05:29 PM.

#551 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 05:36 PM

We’re not going to be doing a whole bunch of public consultation...

And there you have it folks. Her Worseship finally gets to be the dictator she has dreamed of being since first elected. Well done Victoria voters. You deserve every bit of misery you get for allowing this poor excuse for a mayor to have another term in office.

• mbjj and jrm like this

#552 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 05:59 PM

The director of the Harbour Authority was on CBC today saying they're going to re-open the breakwater next Wednesday because, hey, they figure it's ten feet wide, people are used to the one way aisles at the supermarket so it should be safe. 

But somehow Beacon Hill Park isn't.

This is a blatant attempt to push through controversial moves during a crisis. The only other time I can recall something like this was Bush and Obama's domestic surveillance after 9/11. 

• Mike K., Nparker, sdwright.vic and 6 others like this

#553 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 06:04 PM

also somehow keeping cars out of the park streets increases walking space?

almost all this green is "walking space".  people do not need the roads to walk on.

• rmpeers and Cats4Hire like this

#554 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 06:09 PM

also somehow keeping cars out of the park streets increases walking space? almost all this green is "walking space".  people do not need the roads to walk on....

Commandant Helps' decrees don't even have to make sense anymore. She'll use the crisis to push through whatever part of her twisted agenda she wants and to hell with those who might try to stop her or her cabal of fools.

• pennymurphy2000 likes this

#555 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,997 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 06:29 PM

for those that want to drop a line re beacon hill park:

LINK:   https://www.victoria...or-council.html

#556 grantpalin

grantpalin
  • 804 posts

Posted 12 May 2020 - 09:21 PM

It's a good size park, with plenty of room to distance. The mayor's claim of restricting traffic to aid distancing really doesn't fly.

• Nparker, GaryRanson, pennymurphy2000 and 1 other like this

#557 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 07:01 AM

Already sent my email, am going to send another one stating that trying to cram all cars into one parking lot is ridiculous. Cars will be close together with folks getting in and out of cars right next to each other. I like to park on Arbutus Drive because that's the end of Beacon Hill park I want to walk in, not the petting zoo end. I will now be parking in front of people's houses.  If the barricades are permanent, ie bollards, then no emergency vehicles will have access, nor will horse and carriages (aha!). We've got to keep up the pressure.

My husband also calls Helps a bleep bleep dictator.

#558 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 07:07 AM

...Cars will be close together with folks getting in and out of cars right next to each other...

Well you can imagine what Her Worseship's next decree will be: "Only every other parking space will be available for visitors to the park"...temporarily of course.  -_-

• Mike K. and Victoria Watcher like this

#559 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,735 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 07:08 AM

...My husband also calls Helps a bleep bleep dictator.

Even without the bleeps I bet what I call her in private is worse.

• jrm likes this

#560 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 13 May 2020 - 07:15 AM

If the barricades are permanent, ie bollards, then no emergency vehicles will have access, nor will horse and carriages (aha!). We've got to keep up the pressure.

My husband also calls Helps a bleep bleep dictator.

I assume they'd work like what already exists in BHP with removable blockades. https://www.google.c...12!8i6656?hl=en

It wouldn't help horses but emergency vehicles, maintenance vehicles and performance related trucks could get by.

Considering things like manufactured gridlock with light timing or various "pretty" crap in the middle of the road separating the two lanes (admittedly Saanich and View Royal are more guilty of this one than Victoria) I'm not sure if allowing easy access for emergency vehicles is a priority the the municipal governments for some reason anyway.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users