Beacon Hill Park

• Please log in to reply
828 replies to this topic

#561 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 09:15 AM

Statement by Charlayne Thornton-Joe:

Yesterday we had a tough decision. A motion put forward by the Councillor Loveday and the Mayor to pedestrianize Beacon Hill Park has some merit. When we received over 250 emails on this issue, the movers of the motion made amendments to allow more access to three parking lots...the one on Heywood to park by the Cricket, the one by the Parks yard/tennis/court/lawn bowling and the one by the Petting Zoo. It allowed for over 300 parking spots.

My concerns were that those who had mobility issues that wanted to drive through the park or up to the top would not be able to. I even tried a motion to make it time limited like at Mt Doug and suggested that vehicles would be allowed in these areas until noon, but it was ruled out. I even asked if we could defer the final Council vote to see if the public finds the amendments a good balance but I was told no. So due to this, I voted against the motion at Council. I said the new motion was very different from the original motion (which was good) but folks should be able to respond to the changes.

I thought that we could be nimble and creative in making it accessible to all. We speak about equity all the time and how can this be equitable when we tell those who can not walk up to the top or walk through the park that they will just have to go elsewhere to enjoy the view and that only some parts of the park are available to them.

After I said my reasons for not voting for the motion even though I felt many parts were supportable, Councillor Alto joined me in voting against. So it was a 6-2 vote.

• Greg, grantpalin, jrm and 1 other like this

#562 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 09:32 AM

Congrats to Charlayne Thornton-Joe for showing some respect for her constituents. A pox on those who blindly followed the motion. 

• mbjj, rmpeers and jrm like this

#563 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:14 AM

Shocked Geoff Young followed the TV herd on this one.

• sebberry likes this

#564 E2V

E2V
  • 163 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 11:45 AM

The Oxford Dictionary defines pedestrian as “a person walking”. Although I haven’t seen all of the final motion it doesn’t seem to cover all manners of conveyance which might lead to confusion. These include electric bikes, motorized skateboards and the one and two wheeled motorized standing platforms of the kind that are becoming more common on the Westsong Walkway. The original motion specified “pedestrian only” which, of course, didn’t mean that at all. It meant no cars. If the intent was to free up the roads to provide room for walkers to social distance, it’s hardly achieved by allowing others, moving twice as fast or more, to be weaving around between us.

• Nparker likes this

#565 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 02:36 PM

Surprised by Young, too. The whole move is so blatantly dishonest and exclusionary.

I see that Loveday was one of the architects of this latest punishment. Presumably he is being schooled in punishing the elderly by Reich Chancellor Isitt. Nicely done.
  • GetLisaSomeHelps likes this

#566 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 02:39 PM

...I see that Loveday was one of the architects of this latest punishment. Presumably he is being schooled in punishing the elderly by Reich Chancellor Isitt...

This particular tutelage has been going on even before Loveday was first elected to council. 

• rmpeers and GetLisaSomeHelps like this

#567 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 May 2020 - 02:57 PM

This particular tutelage has been going on even before Loveday was first elected to council. 

The real question I want answered is...did he use his award winning spoken word poetry to speak out about this important issue?

• Nparker and mbjj like this

#568 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 02:58 PM

Of all the lousy things they've done, this one really hits home. I know people who can't walk up that hill to the top but cherished being able to drive up there.

The cruelty and heartlessness of the mayor doesn't surprise me, but I thought Loveday maybe possessed an actual human heart. But no, he is just as cruel as the rest of them.

I wonder, come the next election, if Ben and Jerry will still manage to scam some voters with their phony "nice guy" routine.
  • jrm likes this

#569 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 03:02 PM

...The cruelty and heartlessness of the mayor doesn't surprise me, but I thought Loveday maybe possessed an actual human heart. But no, he is just as cruel as the rest of them....

Council is mostly operating from a position of spite these days.

• rjag and mbjj like this

#570 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 May 2020 - 03:03 PM

If this City has a backbone, every single one of them that voted in favour of this motion that did not allow for public feedback will be thrown out come next election.

• jrm likes this

#571 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,401 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 03:08 PM

If this City has a backbone, every single one of them...will be thrown out come next election.

There's my laugh for the day. I bet all but Geoff Young get re-elected in 2022. It astounds me how so many Victoria residents vote against their own best interests. Hopefully I will have moved out of the CoV by the next civic election. The city is becoming completely unlivable.

• rmpeers and GetLisaSomeHelps like this

#572 GetLisaSomeHelps

GetLisaSomeHelps
  • 407 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 May 2020 - 03:14 PM

There's my laugh for the day. I bet all but Geoff Young get re-elected in 2022. It astounds me how so many Victoria residents vote against their own best interests. Hopefully I will have moved out of the CoV by the next civic election. The city is becoming completely unlivable.

I've already started job hunting in another province. So done with BC.

• Nparker likes this

#573 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 04:20 PM

The thing is that I wonder how many of the residents are voting certain people in as a way to stick it to the man as it were. Most likely don't own their own homes, they are renters. They don't own cars. They will likely never own either, especially in Victoria. Helping to destroy Victoria is part of their game plan. Same goes for council. Looking at their track record over the last few years does anyone actually believe that they love this city? Their actions say loud and clear that they hate Victoria. 

• Nparker likes this

#574 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,323 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 04:29 PM

does anyone on council other than young own the home they live in in Victoria?

helps rents.
a few others live in other municipalities.
isitt does. he seized his house from an owner.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 May 2020 - 04:31 PM.

#575 jrm

jrm
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 05:18 PM

If this City has a backbone, every single one of them that voted in favour of this motion that did not allow for public feedback will be thrown out come next election.

We can only hope they get turfed!

#576 jrm

jrm
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 05:24 PM

And now that )(*(*&^&^ wants to close off Clover Point. Is there no end to this?  And are the citizens of Victoria going to just stand by and let them ruin another one of our long time nice sites?

Statement by Charlayne Thornton-Joe:

#577 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 15 May 2020 - 10:54 PM

I do not know at what point people will say enough is enough.

But Isitt has been popular at the polls. Which makes you really wonder about your fellow citizens...

#578 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 05:09 AM

does anyone on council other than young own the home they live in in Victoria?
helps rents.
a few others live in other municipalities.
isitt does. he seized his house from an owner.

That’s not accurate. The Province of BC forced the sale of the property.
Isitt paid $381K .

http://www.viccity.c...et transformed/
  • Brayvehart likes this

#579 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,323 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 05:13 AM

That’s not accurate. The Province of BC forded the sale of the property.
Isitt paid $381K .

http://www.viccity.c...et transformed/

funny how he was the only bidder.

https://www.pressrea...281582352381356

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 16 May 2020 - 05:18 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#580 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 16 May 2020 - 06:49 AM

All we can do is try to get the word out time and time again about how mean-spirited they are. Urge visitors not to come here when they are able, just keep hammering it in. I keep putting stuff on twitter about their terrible attitude and how much they hate Victoria.

By the way, I was surprised with Geoff Young's statement in the paper. Something along the lines of "asphalt has created parts of the park that don't get much use", but nothing to indicate where these are. I can't think of any.

Edited by mbjj, 16 May 2020 - 06:55 AM.

• Nparker and rmpeers like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users