Photo

Beacon Hill Park

• Please log in to reply
828 replies to this topic

#721 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 10:21 AM

This is rich given what Helps & friends have allowed to occur in BHP's sensitive ecosystems. 

In Dec 2018 Lisa Helps wrote to Conoco-Phillips (and 20 other oil & gas companies) insisting they pay a share of costs incurred by CoV due to climate change.  Link: https://lisahelpsvictoria.ca

When James Douglas of the Hudson’s Bay Company selected the southern tip of Vancouver Island as the site of Fort Victoria, the region’s Garry Oak meadows reminded him of the cultivated fields of England. He didn’t realize at the time that this unique ecosystem had been managed for thousands of years by the Songhees and Esquimalt First Nations, who harvested Camas bulbs from the meadows as an important food source.

The Garry Oak Meadow ecosystem – although unfortunately much diminished and one of the most endangered ecosystems in the world – remains a central feature of the City of Victoria, and we take seriously our responsibility to pass it on to future residents. Numerous studies have shown that that climate change will put that goal at risk[2] – and that our work to ensure that the ecosystem can survive shifts in our regional climate is urgent.[3]

What a joke. If anyone took her letters to o&g industry seriously in the first place (doubtful), her cries have lost all credibility now. Talking out of both sides of her mouth... 

Edited by max.bravo, 11 September 2020 - 10:21 AM.

• Nparker, mbjj and newbie_01 like this

#722 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 01:45 PM

Somebody better take a screenshot of that before it disappears from her site. 

She is a complete joke. She is the worst mayor we have ever had. She has destroyed this city. 

• mbjj and Victoria Watcher like this

#723 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,904 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 02:09 PM

Perhaps the friends of beacon hill park should commission an environmental impact assessment to determine just how much damage has been done to this sensitive, important, endangered ecosystem. I hope that is part of their legal strategy. 

• mbjj, pennymurphy2000, newbie_01 and 1 other like this

#724 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,010 posts

Posted 11 September 2020 - 11:48 PM

As seen at BHP today.

Matt. 49C17973-0882-48A7-9728-ACB1C2D99BA7.jpeg

#725 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 12 September 2020 - 10:00 AM

As seen at BHP today.

Matt. 49C17973-0882-48A7-9728-ACB1C2D99BA7.jpeg

So its no longer just a metaphor if one says council are turning the city into a sewer.
  • GaryRanson likes this

#726 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 15 September 2020 - 07:01 PM

Funds to sue the CoV now at ~$20,000.  It would be interesting to hear CoV council in court to explain their actions and what options beyond Beacon Hill were discounted. 

If they didn't explore alternative actions, perhaps they can explain why?   Are children and families discounted because they are not "marginalized populations?".  Perhaps putting children at risk is in their view acceptable collateral damage from "bold action"?  It would seem so by the lack of action taken.

#727 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 11:22 AM

As I just got out of hospital my husband thought he'd drive me to Dallas Road so I could go sit on a bench. I cannot believe what the city has done. Mile after mile of split-rail ugly fencing. There is no way to get from the car parking over to the pathway where the benches are. It's totally closed off. The only way through the fence is metres away from where we were parked and it was just too far. There was only one "entrance". It was also very muddy. I feel like every place I used to like to go in Victoria has now been taken away from me. The city clearly hates people with any sort of mobility issue. The fencing is ugly and unnecessary. I know they are purposely using it up as they bought too much of it (as told to us first-hand by a friend employed by the city). I feel like I want to cry.

• aastra likes this

#728 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 11:38 AM

The city clearly hates people with any sort of mobility issue.

People really shouldn't be encouraged to go out and do stuff. Just stay home, drink and/or do drugs, watch TV news nonsense, believe politics, and shop Amazon. That's the new freedom.

• Nparker, Matt R. and Redd42 like this

#729 m3m

m3m
  • 1,298 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 11:54 AM

On the other hand, the city has now largely finished the section near the breakwater and finished paving the road.  They've added a couple dozen bright yellow adirondack style chairs to that area. They seem to be similar to the blue ones located near the JSB.  I think they look quite nice!  Although I think they should have gone with aquamarine-coloured chairs as an homage to the railings were removed. Perhaps somebody can snap a pic. 

#730 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 12:17 PM

^ Hope that the chairs are bolted to the cement with tamper proof bolts heads.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#731 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 01:28 PM

^ Just watch out for a VIHA sharpie surprise attached to those new chairs.

#732 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,350 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 02:18 PM

Nice that we can afford chairs. I thought it was belt-tightening time? I am so upset about this Dallas Road thing. Now if you sit in your car facing the sea, you have a nice view of an expensive fence. Remember when they tried to push this fencing through a few years ago and there was an outcry? Now they've snuck it in.

#733 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 15 October 2020 - 06:09 PM

I like the fence close to Ogden Point, better view for those who are car bound and bikes and cars don’t have to worry about smacking into each other. As for that cheap looking rough wood fences mbjj is referencing.. that’s a friggin eyesore! It works out right by the cliff side, not right by the road. Maybe that was cool in 1987 Campbell River. I think it’s intended to keep dogs from running into traffic? Except it’s not effectively designed for that. Plus as mbjj stated it seems to restrict access points. For a bunch of pictures on all this you can check Bill on Flickr:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wjis21/

Just a couple examples of his pics:

https://www.flickr.c...21/50453098941/

https://www.flickr.c...21/50453269232/

Finally not sure why that bike lane isn’t at a separate grade as it appears pedestrians are taking it over, oblivious or not caring it’s a bike lane.

#734 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 06:17 PM

On the other hand, the city has now largely finished the section near the breakwater and finished paving the road. They've added a couple dozen bright yellow adirondack style chairs to that area. They seem to be similar to the blue ones located near the JSB. I think they look quite nice! Although I think they should have gone with aquamarine-coloured chairs as an homage to the railings were removed. Perhaps somebody can snap a pic.

For people with mobility issues or back problems those chairs are difficult if not impossible to sit in.
  • rmpeers likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#735 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 06:51 PM

For people with mobility issues or back problems those chairs are difficult if not impossible to sit in.

I was thinking this as well.

#736 aastra

aastra
  • 20,741 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 06:55 PM

If you have back issues it's better to keep moving rather than sit. The CoV cares about your back health.

#737 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 08:54 PM

So, as a cyclist who can sometimes (downhill, tailwind, etc..) get on the speedy end of things, am I supposed to ride in that bike lane while down at the bottom end of Dallas?  Cos any more than about 15kmh, and that bike lane is dangerous both bikes and pedestrians..

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#738 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 11:01 PM

Ze chairs are designed for ze masterrace of fit, young healthy cyclists.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

#739 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,010 posts

Posted 15 October 2020 - 11:03 PM

Beatings will continue until morale improves!

Matt.
  • Nparker, mbjj and rmpeers like this

#740 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,849 posts

Posted 16 October 2020 - 03:23 AM

you must be real fun at parties.

• Rob Randall and Matt R. like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users