Beacon Hill Park

• Please log in to reply
828 replies to this topic

#141 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:16 AM

The worst part about playing soccer in the rainy winter months is getting drilled with a freezing cold, soaking wet soccer ball anyways. A fall would be a welcome relief after that.

Matt.

#142 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:20 AM

Thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't anywhere near close enough to examine it.

Anyway, that's it for my Beacon Hill Park rant, and the end of me visiting the park. I didn't go often anyway so it's no big deal.

Thanks Mr. Luton! So sorry I can't vote you off council. :rolleyes:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#143 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:25 AM

"I would never let my kids play competitve games on that shocking surface." Really? god, people are over-protective.

Last time I was on that surface it was basically gravel. I don't think preventing my child sliding on gravel is being "over-protective". The city should install proper artificial turf.

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#144 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 02 August 2012 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for clearing that up, I wasn't anywhere near close enough to examine it.

Anyway, that's it for my Beacon Hill Park rant, and the end of me visiting the park. I didn't go often anyway so it's no big deal.

Thanks Mr. Luton! So sorry I can't vote you off council. :rolleyes:

Have I missed something? Is Baro = John Luton!?!?

#145 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:11 AM

...The city should install proper artificial turf.

Or better yet, let those who want to play soccer there raise the funds to have artificial turf installed. I don't think this should be a taxpayer-covered expense.

#146 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

Maybe the turf upgrade should have been part of the road closures? If they're going to spend money there should be a benefit to it...

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#147 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:19 AM

Or better yet, let those who want to play soccer there raise the funds to have artificial turf installed. I don't think this should be a taxpayer-covered expense.

Yeah! Why should a city invest in its kids getting physically active and out in the community? No benefit there.

#148 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 August 2012 - 11:20 AM

Yeah! Why should a city invest in its kids getting physically active and out in the community? No benefit there.

Well they don't need to now that they've bought up old hotels to house the kids in when they grow up to be drug addicts ;)

#149 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:31 PM

A while back the city was faced with the decision to spend roughly 2-3m on upgrading the field versus adding a sports facility to Vic High. They chose Vic High as a more worthy expense.

#150 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:45 PM

Perhaps I don't know enough about it, but why is the CoV spending money on Vic High, shouldn't that come out of the SD61 budget?

#151 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 August 2012 - 01:48 PM

No bollards at Park and Haywood:

4gBZcBUe5Xg

#152 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

That is putting it mildly. I would never let my kids play competitve games on that shocking surface.

Well, that's the end of your kids' soccer career with Bays United. Jeez. People fall down and get banged up all the time. That's life.

#153 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 02:57 PM

Guessing the road was just closed while they were doing the changes.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#154 LJ

LJ
  • 12,736 posts

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:18 PM

No bollards at Park and Haywood:

4gBZcBUe5Xg

Hey, that was a stop sign Seb, not a slow down sign!;)
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#155 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 02 August 2012 - 07:19 PM

Hey, that was a stop sign Seb, not a slow down sign!;)

I paid my dues by doing 15kph in the 30 zone ;)

#156 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 August 2012 - 05:48 PM

The Beacon Hill Park survey is live on the city's webpage

http://www.victoria....-hill-park.html

#157 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 06:32 PM

Playgrounds at the park were as busy as they usually are on the w/e today at 4:30 PM, so it seems many folks are coping with the changes.

#158 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:36 PM

A couple observations.

I find it much more pleasant to walk throughout the park. Particularily around circle drive. Espescially with a stoller and a 5 year old in tow.
There are going to be problems with drivers who aren't familiar with the area however. Espescially seeing that every map still indicates that the said routes are still open. And without any street signage other than the odd dead end and do not enter, there are already problems. I had two drivers ask me how the hell they can get to the petting zoo from where we were (Park and Heywood). I found the explanation a little complicated as I was describing where to go. I'm not even sure how signs would even help at that point other than providing a small billboard by the cricket pitch or something.

Also as i was walking on the new path that was once westbound on circle drive i watched a vehicle drive by me on the vehicle lane and then turn around off in the distance. He headed back toward the petting zoo area by driving on what was once a road and is now a path. But because there was still a yellow line in the middle, there was little to indicate he was doing anything wrong. I am guessing though that they will be repainting the yellow line to white.

Conclusion: makes for a better experience as a walker biker, minor inconvenience to car and a few creases to iron out.

#159 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 07:55 PM

^Of course as a neighbor of the park you get the benefit of not driving there.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#160 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 04 August 2012 - 08:20 PM

Geeze G-Man did you even read what i wrote?

Anyway, you're right it is nice to walk from my house. Mind you it is a lot farther a walk than anyone who drives to bhp.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users