BUILT
The Summit at Quadra Village
Uses: rental, civic
Address: 955 Hillside Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
The Summit at Quadra Village is a four-storey, 320-bed long term care facility. The Summit will replace Oak Ba... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Summit at Quadra Village on Citified.ca
Photo

[Quadra-Hillside] Summit at Quadra Village seniors residence | 4-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:42 PM

From schoolyard to seniors’village
Developer’s proposal would see housing project rise on the site of closed Blanshard Elementary School

BY CAROLYN HEIMAN Times Colonist staff

The former Blanshard Elementary School playfield, which once rang with the voices of elementary children, is now being eyed for large seniors’ village.

Developer John Schucht said yesterday that a three-way deal, expected to close May 31, will see long-term leases on the seven acres turned over to a major unnamed developer specializing in housing for seniors.

[...]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 aastra

aastra
  • 20,568 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 03:58 PM

...the new project...would allow elderly people to stay in their own neighbourhoods. “There is a need out there for that.”

I don't get this remark. Obviously the vast majority of the people who'd end up living in this complex would be from neighbourhoods other than Hillside/Quadra. We're talking 500 units here.

Here's hoping they build half-decently close to the sidewalk on the Hillside side.

#3 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 11 April 2007 - 04:36 PM

Can you throw a rock in this town without hitting a seniors development? Elderly people can definitely stay in their own neighbourhoods should they choose to do so.

Overwhelmingly they aren't so choosing, or they wouldn't have moved here from Toronto. ;)

#4 viewership

viewership
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 12:09 PM

After having a coffee at Caffe Fantastico on this beautiful misty morning(best mocha in town) I went for a walk around what is now the University Canada West campus. After noticing how run down the school still looks even after the sprucing up the University did before it opened I looked out on the field and thought, "What a waste."--it's become nothing more than a huge neglected lawn.

Then I began to think of all the possabilities. There have been a lot of posiitve changes in the Quadra Village area in trying to revitalize that community and I think this field poses a great opportunity to create something for the kids and teenagers in the neighbourhood.

Rather than turning it back into a soccer field/baseball park, I was trying to think of something that would attract more local kids and it dawned on me that this could be a great place for another skate park. I'm sure there would be plenty of opposition to this idea but what better way to keep kids active and out of trouble?

What do you guys think? Any other ideas of what to do with this space? What obstacles would be in the way of transforming it?

#5 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 06 May 2007 - 12:22 PM

I believe there are plans in the works for seniors housing on that field. I know not exactly what we were hoping for but anyways...

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#6 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 06:54 PM

ok so what did happen to this plan?

#7 Guest_Marcat_*

Guest_Marcat_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:31 PM

ok so what did happen to this plan?

I personally have no idea what phase of approvals it go too, but considering who the Developer was, I think its safe to assume it would have died regardless of it passing councils approval or not. The Developer was Waywell Developments (John Schult) The ill-fated Developer of the original Radius project.

#8 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 07:36 PM

Ah! I didn't know that. thank you

#9 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:04 PM

Article in the TC today spoke of UCW being bought and the sale included the leasehold over the land.

I am hopeful that something will go ahead in this space in the near future.

#10 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:07 PM

Article in the TC today spoke of UCW being bought and the sale included the leasehold over the land.

I am hopeful that something will go ahead in this space in the near future.

Education tycoon buys University Canada West
He wants to go global with struggling Victoria school

Grania Litwin, Times Colonist
Published: Monday, November 24, 2008

University Canada West, a private Victoria institution that has teetered on the brink of bankruptcy and failed to attract enough students since it opened in 2005, has quietly been sold for an undisclosed sum. (MORE)

When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#11 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 24 November 2008 - 08:24 PM

Ah, I see martini already posted this in one of the other threads!
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#12 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 09:54 AM

There's something oddly disturbing about transforming schools into farmland. It's like de-evolution. Next, we'll be tilling the soil with oxen and a stone plow and worshipping the sun god. Next thing you know we're gathering nuts and berries again.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#13 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 10:49 AM

We've got bits of this story (with interest retriggered by yesterday's T-C article, "Education tycoon buys University Canada West") floating around on at least 3 different threads right now (probably more, if we include discussions on Radius).

It would really lend itself to a quick post on the VV blog, pointing to the different information sources we have here, no?

PS: I say that because I'll bet you anything it's going to come up before council again at some point, for rezoning or whatever, at which point it'll be really great to have an easily find-able blog post that points to all the relevant info already discussed here.

#14 mat

mat
  • 2,070 posts

Posted 25 November 2008 - 12:19 PM

All posts in regard to the Blanshard Elementary School have now been moved to this thread - if you see others MS B let us know!

#15 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:28 PM

Anything ever happen here?

#16 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:43 PM

No.

#17 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 09:43 AM

Quadra Village site chosen for $80 million seniors facility; new home for Oak Bay Lodge
Lindsay Kines / Times Colonist
November 29, 2013 10:08 PM

The playing field behind former Blanshard Elementary School in Quadra Village has been selected as the site for a new 320-bed seniors facility to replace Oak Bay Lodge and Mount Tolmie Hospital.

The Capital Regional Hospital District has been negotiating for months to acquire the 1.4-hectare property at 955 Hillside Ave., district spokesman Andy Orr confirmed Friday.

He said a formal announcement could come as early as next week.

“It isn’t a done deal,” he said. “It’s close, but it’s not done yet.”

The Greater Victoria school board, which closed Blanshard in 2003, owns the playing field and leases it to three companies.

The school building, occupied by CDI College, sits on a separate parcel and is not included in the deal.

No costs were released, but the playing field was assessed at $6.25 million this year. The hospital district board recently approved a 2014 budget that included $6.6 million for the Oak Bay Lodge replacement project.

The district and Island Health have been searching for land since last year, when Oak Bay council rejected plans to replace the existing lodge with a new six-storey, $80-million building at 2251 Cadboro Bay Rd.

It was the second time that Oak Bay had turned down the proposal, so Island Health began looking elsewhere.

http://www.timescolo...-lodge-1.715656

#18 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:34 AM

Great news and and thumb to the nose to Oak Bay. Some will grumble about the loss of the playing fields but if they retain a small community playground all will be well. It'll give the old folks something to look at. This will be great for the village, great for the senior residents who are still mobile as there is lots of shopping and activities here and great for the many employees who will work there--great transit routes and lots to do on your break. 

• Nparker likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#19 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,221 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 10:44 AM

This is a great coup for Quadra Village. Too bad Oak Bay you had your chance and you blew it.  :banana:

#20 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 04:57 PM

Not sure what Oak Bay missed out on.  Its the seniors who now have to live in Quadra Village  :whyme:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users