BUILT
The Summit at Quadra Village
Uses: rental, civic
Address: 955 Hillside Avenue
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 4
The Summit at Quadra Village is a four-storey, 320-bed long term care facility. The Summit will replace Oak Ba... (view full profile)
Learn more about the Summit at Quadra Village on Citified.ca
Photo

[Quadra-Hillside] Summit at Quadra Village seniors residence | 4-storeys | Under construction

• Please log in to reply
220 replies to this topic

#121 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 11:17 AM

Anyway, this Quadra neighbourhood could be and probably would be one of the best city neighbourhoods anywhere if Victorians hadn't been so determined to invert it and subvert it and kick it in the proverbial groin so many times over the years and decades. I regard this current institutional project as just more of the same ongoing process.

Edited by aastra, 24 June 2016 - 11:17 AM.

#122 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:44 PM

So it's 320 units for complex need and dementia patients. Do we know if patients are going to be confined to the building? Or be able to come and go at all?

Most likely confined to their floor.

#123 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 June 2016 - 07:48 PM

Anyway, this Quadra neighbourhood could be and probably would be one of the best city neighbourhoods anywhere if Victorians hadn't been so determined to invert it and subvert it and kick it in the proverbial groin so many times over the years and decades. I regard this current institutional project as just more of the same ongoing process.

The whole neighbourhood went downhill about the time they closed the Fox Theatre. 

However we do like the food at the 5th Street Bar and Grill.

#124 big dog

big dog
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 12:30 PM

The inner Courtyard is designed for Dementia Patients to enjoy outdoors SAFELY. This same Concept is being built at Eden's Gate in Nanaimo that will eventually house 600 Dementia Patients. I worked on that one as well have worked with Unitech recently (Wellington Secondary Nanaimo). I would be delighted to work on this one

• Nparker likes this

#125 big dog

big dog
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 03:41 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7BBHZTYk8c

#126 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 25 June 2016 - 07:14 PM

The inner Courtyard is designed for Dementia Patients to enjoy outdoors SAFELY. This same Concept is being built at Eden's Gate in Nanaimo that will eventually house 600 Dementia Patients. I worked on that one as well have worked with Unitech recently (Wellington Secondary Nanaimo). I would be delighted to work on this one

I just need to know where the assisted dying wing is, that's where I want to be placed if I need to be in a facility like this.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#127 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 26 June 2016 - 11:48 PM

Wasn't there also a development planned for the SJ Willis field across hillside from this one? I noticed they took down their LED sign that was on the corner of blanshard

#128 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 27 June 2016 - 05:09 AM

Hmm, not recently I don't think.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#129 big dog

big dog
  • 11 posts

Posted 14 July 2016 - 02:34 AM

LJ, secure wing is on the West side, if You behave You will be on the East side. Underground parking on the front half of the Complex only (Hillside). Building height 14.5 M, 4 storey.

#130 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 04:03 PM

This site is being cleared.

#131 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:36 PM

This site is being cleared.

And a hole dug.

IMG_4440.jpg

IMG_4438.jpg

• Nparker and jonny like this

#132 aastra

aastra
  • 20,753 posts

Posted 24 August 2016 - 03:55 PM

His name is jonny, not dug. No wonder he looks so frazzled.

• Bingo and jonny like this

#133 big dog

big dog
  • 11 posts

Posted 10 September 2016 - 04:36 PM

actually his name is ron, a good operator

• jonny likes this

#134 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 22 September 2016 - 09:50 AM

Residents in the Hillside-Quadra neighbourhood could soon have increased access to a gym, even as Island Health develops the former Blanshard Elementary School yard into a 322-bed seniors care facility.

The Capital Regional District, which manages the site, has at the city’s request retained the 6,300-square-foot gymnasium for use by the Quadra Village Community Centre located across the street.

Victoria Coun. Ben Isitt, council liaison to the neighbourhood, said the centre was built with a small footprint, with the intention that school gymnasium could be used by the community.

“When the school board decided to close Blanshard school, it was a real loss for the neighbourhood,” Isitt said.

“So, I think, to bring a portion of that facility back under community control and to have that space available for the community centre to provide programming is very positive.”

The agreement would allow the community centre to expand programming to 1,000 hours from 130 hours, offering programs such as kinder-gym, martial arts, Zumba, yoga, dance and youth and adult sport drop-ins.

http://www.timescolo...entre-1.2348897

#135 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 09:55 PM

covered parking uncovered

IMG_4957.jpg

#136 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 04:18 PM

File_003 (49).jpeg File_001 (75).jpeg File_002 (61).jpeg File_004 (36).jpeg

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#137 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 06:10 PM

I'm quite sure this building is an X for medical and experiential reasons. Not exterior architectural design. Aka when you are elderly and bed-ridden all day, everyone gets a view. Think of the hotels in Vegas, they are shaped like this for view purposes. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#138 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,601 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 06:37 PM

I'm quite sure this building is an X for medical and experiential reasons. Not exterior architectural design. Aka when you are elderly and bed-ridden all day, everyone gets a view. Think of the hotels in Vegas, they are shaped like this for view purposes. 

Almost certainly; don't forget that in assisted living - even dementia care facilities - not all the residents are bed-ridden. Many of them are surprisingly active.

Affording everyone a "view" not only ensures the place is bright but much more critically that the residents, whether they have some variant of Alzheimer's or not, get to experience the visual stimulation of something other than a cold white plaster or concrete institutional wall. Thankfully this isn't the 1930's and we don't condemn our aging parents to such places anymore, I would like to think in large part because we're living in a more enlightened age.

#139 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 09:40 PM

It also make it easier if you are short staffed, then you can put that person at the center of the X.

#140 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:53 AM

It also make it easier if you are short staffed, then you can put that person at the center of the X.

Was that sarcastic, or actually?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users