Photo

Sewage treatment in Victoria | McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant

• Please log in to reply
5655 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost. (77 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost.

1. We need it and waited too long that is the cost of waiting too long! (65 votes [23.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.47%

2. Local, Provincial, and Federal politicians will find a way to help cut down the price to property owners. (3 votes [1.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.08%

3. Out of the question, too expensive for Greater Victoria. (122 votes [44.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.04%

4. It expensive, but if we do nothing costs will only rise. (20 votes [7.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.22%

5. We need to do it but greatly scale back the project. It has grwon out of hand. (34 votes [12.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.27%

6. No opinion, I do not know enough about the project to say of the costs are out of line or not. (33 votes [11.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#4821 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 15 January 2017 - 09:10 AM

Excerpts:
The Capital Regional District has approved up to $200,000 in additional compensation for the sewage treatment project board chair and vice-chair even though some directors complained they didn’t have enough information to justify the expense.
...Saanich Mayor Richard Atwell recommended the decision be postponed until the board had more information, including the amount of per diems and expenses paid to date.
...He noted that the $20,000 is in addition to the honoraria paid to board members.
...Stan Bartlett of the Grumpy Taxpayer$ of Greater Victoria group agreed. “The question here is about process. You don’t do business that way,” Bartlett said. “You don’t do business that way with that amount of money involved. You have all the facts and figures and details in front of you, and you make a decision.”
Sewage board leaders to get $20,000 a month:

Have to agree with Atwell and other on this one. Either the per diem and miscellaneous expenses are exceeding the $20K a month and thus we are getting a good deal capping the fees or they/we are not. No reason why staff / board members wouldn't know this before making the request. Since they are not saying then one would have to think that we would bee better to honour the agreement that we have.

#4822 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 02:44 PM

Excerpt, Richard Atwell quoted:
"We had no idea how many hours they worked, we had no idea how many hours they were going to need going forward, we did not know the current level of compensation, what has been billed. Nothing had been brought forward and essentially what they were asking for is kind of the equivalent of a blank cheque."
...The additional funds have also been backdated to October of last year.

Edited by JohnN, 16 January 2017 - 02:44 PM.

:)

#4823 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 16 January 2017 - 06:26 PM

But Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps said that rather than postponing, the board should approve the funding and get an update on details next month.

“Twenty thousand dollars a month for a few months to make sure that two hundred and something million in federal funding is secure — I think that’s a good expenditure and I’m happy to make that expenditure today,” Helps said.

Atwell called that argument “silly.” [...]

http://www.timescolo...month-1.7442540

#4824 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 19 January 2017 - 09:44 AM

In TC op-ed column,Jordan Bateman, excerpts:
The CRD board should know that giving big payouts on this project is controversial.
...To their credit, it looks as if Saanich representatives tried to stop this new set of $20,000 payments...
...The Saanich request was an entirely reasonable one, but the rest of the board, led by free-spending Victoria Mayor Lisa Helps, rubberstamped the pay raise.
...The decision also sends a disturbing message that the CRD board is uninterested in scrutinizing and grinding down costs on this megaproject. Why won’t they sweat the small stuff?
...Of all people, Helps should know that. She’s seen the Blue Bridge project drag on for years and go massively over budget. She even called for real-time financial information to help council better manage it.

Politicians must watch bottom line on sewage:
http://www.timescolo...ewage-1.7857340

#4825 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 07:51 AM

Letter in TC, excerpt:
While I note that board members Jane Bird and Don Fairbairn recused themselves from the compensation recommendation approval process, I am really surprised that it was the remaining members of the Core Area Waste Water Treatment Project Board who made the additional compensation request and not Community Minister Peter Fassbender, who appointed the board in the first place.

#4826 Wally

Wally
  • 161 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:21 AM

Letter in TC, excerpt:
While I note that board members Jane Bird and Don Fairbairn recused themselves from the compensation recommendation approval process, I am really surprised that it was the remaining members of the Core Area Waste Water Treatment Project Board who made the additional compensation request and not Community Minister Peter Fassbender, who appointed the board in the first place.

I guess the next step then is for Bird and Fairbairn to recommend compensation increases for the other board members!

#4827 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:10 PM

Open house slated for proposed sewage site

Esquimalt open house on Monday, Jan. 23, 4pm-7pm, Esquimalt Council chambers to invite public comment on community amenities for McLoughlin sewage plant.

http://www.vicnews.c.../411327425.html

Comment by Amor de Cosmos III:
This is exactly the same project that Council rejected in 2014, to the cheers of the residents. Why is Council now supporting this? What has produced such an abrupt about-face? What new threats are coming from the provincial and federal governments?

#4828 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 02:47 PM

The plan calls for a high pressure pipe carrying raw sewage to go under the entrance to the Inner Harbour. In an earthquake zone! This plan sucks, is the same as the old one, and is completely mad!
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#4829 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 22 January 2017 - 09:36 AM

Open house slated for proposed sewage site

Esquimalt open house on Monday, Jan. 23, 4pm-7pm, Esquimalt Council chambers to invite public comment on community amenities for McLoughlin sewage plant.

http://www.vicnews.c.../411327425.html

Comment by Amor de Cosmos III:
This is exactly the same project that Council rejected in 2014, to the cheers of the residents. Why is Council now supporting this? What has produced such an abrupt about-face? What new threats are coming from the provincial and federal governments?

Let's see. How about the whole Elsner mess and PCC investigation?  Perhaps a little quid pro quo here.

#4830 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 01:04 PM

Feb. 27th will be the re-zoning vote in Esquimalt.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4831 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 23 January 2017 - 02:22 PM

^ When will the public hearing take place in Saanich to rezone Hartland in order to add the "Treatment of Liquid Waste" to be an "allowable use"?

#4832 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 07:39 AM

Excerpts:
Esquimalt Mayor Barb Desjardins said the air-filter upgrades would be added assurance that schools wouldn’t have issues with construction dust or particulates.
...Desjardins and her council have yet to consider rezoning needed to bring the plant to McLoughlin Point. That responsibility was handed to Esquimalt in December following a decision by the Core Area Waste Water Treatment Project Board, a panel formed by B.C. Community Minister Peter Fassbender to oversee the development of a plant.

#4833 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 08:28 AM

Esquimalt Mayor Barb Desjardins said the air-filter upgrades would be added assurance that schools wouldn’t have issues with construction dust or particulates.

What?  Victoria has 11 cranes up, and nobody fixed up the school vents here.  The sewage plant will cause no more dust than any of our big projects.  I know, I know, it's all about the children.

screenshot-www.google.ca 2017-01-25 08-26-39.png screenshot-www.google.ca 2017-01-25 08-25-18.png

JohnN, Did I read somewhere that Esquimalt was going to get money to scrap the barging idea?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4834 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 25 January 2017 - 03:58 PM

Excerpts:
...Desjardins and her council have yet to consider rezoning needed to bring the plant to McLoughlin Point. That responsibility was handed to Esquimalt in December following a decision by the Core Area Waste Water Treatment Project Board, a panel formed by B.C. Community Minister Peter Fassbender to oversee the development of a plant.

I see that Desjardins is back to claiming that this is a much better deal because the $20M amenity package is far better than the $13M originally offered. She seems to keep 'forgetting' that the CRD threw in a additional $19M free sewage offer at the last minute before it was rejected.

#4835 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:21 AM

Okay things are starting to amp up on the "Residual Treatment Facility" proposed for the Hartland Landfill.

There are 5 proponents on the CRD request for qualifications list of which 3 will be asked to submit proposals to construct, finance (partially) and operate for 20 years.

One of the proponents, (RJH Services) has the magic bullet. A facility that will take up only 2,400 square feet and will transform turds into gas, oil, fertilizer, and money. Heck this thing is so small that we probably wouldn't even need to pipe this stuff out to Saanich. We could just set it up in Esquimalt and let it pay the residents the ill gotten booty they are hoping for. There is only one small problem though. Apparently Barny Hiney can't read. He is not supposed to be lobbying anyone about his proposal yet. The RFQ doesn't close until February 9th.

Is posting your technology on youtube considered lobbying?

Decide for yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPC9z2oVl88

#4836 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:26 AM

^ The same guy who blogs about how long your chicken will last in your freezer?

https://www.rjhservice.com/blog

#4837 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:32 AM

^ I don't think so.

He is pushing this product here. http://www.arkpowerdynamics.com/

#4838 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 09:56 AM

Looks like this guy

https://www.linkedin...-hiney-96b02131

#4839 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,114 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 11:08 AM

^ yup.

#4840 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 26 January 2017 - 01:58 PM

With new CRD sewage plant in operation, could sewage services be sold to visiting cruise ships? Apparently Juneau is getting into the sewage sales business. Excerpt:
The city is in negotiations to set a price for sewage service, and the ability of the downtown sewage treatment plant will determine whether the city accepts sewage from any given ship...

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users