Photo

Sewage treatment in Victoria | McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant

• Please log in to reply
5670 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost. (77 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost.

1. We need it and waited too long that is the cost of waiting too long! (65 votes [23.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.47%

2. Local, Provincial, and Federal politicians will find a way to help cut down the price to property owners. (3 votes [1.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.08%

3. Out of the question, too expensive for Greater Victoria. (122 votes [44.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.04%

4. It expensive, but if we do nothing costs will only rise. (20 votes [7.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.22%

5. We need to do it but greatly scale back the project. It has grwon out of hand. (34 votes [12.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.27%

6. No opinion, I do not know enough about the project to say of the costs are out of line or not. (33 votes [11.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#5121 GaryOak

GaryOak
  • 711 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:16 AM

You would want a condo above a firehall?!

Hey! Great fire protection.

#5122 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 11:33 AM

You would want a condo above a firehall?!

Not a condo.  Rental housing.  Would you rather rent in the Fairfield Hotel, a Cool Aid housing project, 844 Johnson, or a new place above a fire hall?  The former three are all full.

People live next to the main fire hall, no real complaints.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 07 February 2018 - 11:38 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5123 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 February 2018 - 12:33 PM

That’s what should have been done. Ditto the firehall and the Crystal. But nobody in this town is forward-thinking.

That's not true. I think your city in the Highlands is thinking ahead...perhaps to 2118.

#5124 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 February 2018 - 07:35 AM

Welcome to Victoria Harbour

IMG_8880.JPG

• Mike K. likes this

#5125 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 14 February 2018 - 07:50 PM

Jay was very active in questioning environmental benefits sewage plant. Example of a Cullen paper: http://www.rstv.ca/d...entation-to-min

Air and Waste Management Association announces presentation:

"Learning about Conspiracy Theories: Why Do People Choose to Reject Science?"

Dr. Jay T. Cullen, Professor of Oceanography, UVic
Tuesday, February 27, 2018
Doors open at 11:40 AM
Strathcona Hotel, 919 Douglas St, Victoria,
A&WMA Members $15, Students $10, Non-members $20

:)

#5126 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 12:52 PM

Media and politicians' reasons for killing CRD sewage plant integrated resource management appeared to be grounded in some sort of logic that IRM just isn't well-developed enough to consider for managing CRD sewage sludge (CBC Jan 9/18).

However a Facebook comment today by Esquimalt Councillor Beth Burton-Krahn (also a past activist in RITE plan) has a different take on the issue (full post below), that it was in fact CUPE who killed IRM because they couldn't work alongside workers in the P3 private sewage sludge company, and local NDP MLA Rob Fleming supported that. 

My reply was that it seems odd that CUPE couldn't organize those new workers easily enough - unless there is some (confidential?) language in the CRD's agreement to get subsidy of  $80 million  in that P3 agreement.

Its bad if innovation and sustainability is really being trumped by union and NDP politicking but there may be much more to the story. 

From Facebook: 
Beth Burton-Krahn No, no chance at all. The IRM ship has sailed. One of the key group of stakeholders who spoke out against IRM was CUPE. They presented to the CRD Board a couple of years ago lobbying to make sure that the solid waste (garbage) stream remained in the hand's of the union and not be passed to a private entity to become part of the IRM feed stock. With that major component shut out IRM really loses it's steam. BTW, Rob Fleming flanked the CUPE members at that public meeting so I'm rather certain the NDP government will not be championing IRM any time soon. I think wasting energy and time and especially political energy on this file is a sorry waste of one's time and energy. It's over. Accept the decision (as politicians must, or be held hostage by the past) and move forward. God knows it didn't go the way I had wanted, and I worked myself into the dust for a different outcome. However, I accept that the necessary political will to shift the project never emerged, nor did a serious winning case for IRM over the past number of years. One of the most important qualities of an effective elected official is to accept a decision and move on.[/size]

John Newcomb Thanks - interesting reveal of how confluence of union and provincial politics can thwart promising sustainability efforts. Suggests that neither unions nor NDP are champions of the environment. However, while not sure why CUPE couldn't just grow the local (local 1978 at Hartland) by organizing the sludge plant workers, implication is that the $80 million P3 grant to CRD may have language impeding union organizing?

Edited by JohnN, 16 February 2018 - 03:00 PM.

#5127 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 February 2018 - 01:21 PM

I'm still unable to deduce whether this recent development means there is still a pipe going from McLoughlin Point out to Hartland Road or not?

I'm unclear whether "IRM" refers to a non-specific process in general terms, or whether "IRM" refers to a very specific process which involves the sludge being moved in the as yet unbuilt McLoughlin to Harland pipe?

#5128 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 02:50 PM

^ Here is what I understand the current plan to be. (someone please correct me if I am wrong) 

1- Supply and install a 16 Kilometer twinned pipeline between McLoughlin Point and the Hartland Landfill.

2- Build an Anaerobic Digester at Hartland to convert the sewage sludge into Class A Biosolids.

3- Store the Class A Biosolids somewhere on the Hartland property until they can find a use for it. 

No this is not a joke. There is no clear plan, as far as I know, as to where the Class A Biosolids will go or when.

.....John, am I missing anything?

#5129 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 03:08 PM

^ Here is what I understand the current plan to be. (someone please correct me if I am wrong) 

1- Supply and install a 16 Kilometer twinned pipeline between McLoughlin Point and the Hartland Landfill.

2- Build an Anaerobic Digester at Hartland to convert the sewage sludge into Class A Biosolids.

3- Store the Class A Biosolids somewhere on the Hartland property until they can find a use for it. 

No this is not a joke. There is no clear plan, as far as I know, as to where the Class A Biosolids will go or when.

.....John, am I missing anything?

I can't see anything significant you've missed. I think its 18 km pipe (and several pumps along the way). Perhaps the biggest problem is your point #3 - storing the sludge until can find a use for it. No long "multi-year" storing allowed according to ex-Minister Polak. Here is the issue: CRD now doesn't want to do IRM (for whatever reason, whether CUPE blocking it or cost) but in 2016, Minister Polak letter said pretty clearly that CRD had to do lots of "beneficial use" of the sludge - which probably means spreading it on land just like what happens everywhere else in BC) and is expected to do IRM. So now CRD is balking at that? Letter says CRD has until June 30, 2019 to get the big sewage plan into the Minister and I imagine there will be lots of negotiating with the NDP ministers and local MLAS to try to get CRD off the hook on any land spreading and on IRM expectation. Letter: https://www.crd.bc.c...11.pdf?sfvrsn=4

Edited by JohnN, 16 February 2018 - 03:09 PM.

#5130 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:35 PM

Oh good grief, this isn't sewage science pre-school stuff. 

Extend the Clover Point outfall 10 km out into the strait and pump the seawater diluted sludge from McLoughlin Point through the new pipe under the harbour back to the present outfall at Clover.

Or build a couple of barges and a dock at McLoughin and barge it away to a facility that already exists.

We need to start thinking outside of box under the bed, as some of us are getting too old for this crap.

#5131 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 04:49 PM

Mussels anyone ??

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...icals-1.4537222

• Freedom57 likes this

#5132 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 09:16 PM

Can't class a biosolids be used as fertilizer?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5133 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 11:15 PM

Can't class a biosolids be used as fertilizer?

In theory yes. In practice often fought against by neighbours etc.

https://www2.gov.bc...._march_2017.pdf

#5134 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:33 AM

In fairness, if I lived right near the end of the ****-pipe, I'd also be taking antidepressants and pain killers, you can't really blame them.

What those mussels need is harm reduction measures, clean needles, safe injection sites etc. Homes not hate.

✪ BREAKING: Mussels near Victoria sewage outfalls test positive for pain killers and antidepressants

Anyway, with the positive tests, will they be excluded from the Olympics team?

I see a marketing opportunity here at your favourite seafood restaurant. "Feeling blue? Come try our Outfall Clams™. They'll cheer you up."

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 19 February 2018 - 10:37 AM.

• Rob Randall and SimonH like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5135 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 07:55 AM

http://www.timescolo...-bay-1.23179043

Well there is the Niagara situation. Sounds messy.

No indication how tall this pipe is or how residents get over or around it on foot.

The headline and the first paragraph call it a “massive” pipe but then we are never told about its dimensions at all.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 20 February 2018 - 08:02 AM.

#5136 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 20 February 2018 - 08:12 AM

CRD-proposes-design-change-to-regions-wastewater-treatment-plant.jpg

An artist's rendering of an altered design for Victoria's McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant currently under construction along the shores of Esquimalt. A change to the plant's treatment process will accommodate a smaller facility while additional changes will improve day-to-date operations and the plant's overall aesthetic. 

CRD proposes design change to region's wastewater treatment plant

https://victoria.cit...reatment-plant/

The Capital Regional District has proposed a design revision to the McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant now in the early stages of construction along the entrance to Victoria’s Inner Harbour.

Described as “a more cohesive architectural expression” by project architect HDR | CEI, the updated design will lessen the plant’s visual impact while streamlining and refining its earlier architectural theme approved in February of 2017.

The most notable change, according to documents presented to the Township of Esquimalt, will result in the reduction of the plant’s massing through the removal of a Dissolved Air Floatation (DAF) unit from the southwestern portion of the complex. [Full article]

2017-2018-mcloughlin-point-wastewater-treatment-plant-design-change-citified.jpg

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5137 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:06 AM

CRD-proposes-design-change-to-regions-wastewater-treatment-plant.jpg

An artist's rendering of an altered design for Victoria's McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant currently under construction along the shores of Esquimalt. A change to the plant's treatment process will accommodate a smaller facility while additional changes will improve day-to-date operations and the plant's overall aesthetic. 

CRD proposes design change to region's wastewater treatment plant

https://victoria.cit...reatment-plant/

The Capital Regional District has proposed a design revision to the McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant now in the early stages of construction along the entrance to Victoria’s Inner Harbour.

Described as “a more cohesive architectural expression” by project architect HDR | CEI, the updated design will lessen the plant’s visual impact while streamlining and refining its earlier architectural theme approved in February of 2017.

The most notable change, according to documents presented to the Township of Esquimalt, will result in the reduction of the plant’s massing through the removal of a Dissolved Air Floatation (DAF) unit from the southwestern portion of the complex. [Full article]

New sewage plant design riffs off of trailer park chic (image): 

Attached Images

• mobile-home-rentals-denver-okc-homes-palm-harbor-oklahoma-city-hot-buying-tip-i-1-16.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#5138 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:14 AM

The Request for Qualifications for a contractor to install the pipeline has been posted by the CRD today. 

The RFQ shows the proposed route of the pipeline.

The map is a little small and hard to read but at first glance it appears that some of the route goes through Alberta. :)

#5139 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:30 AM

Below is excerpt from the sewage sludge pipes' RFQ, Appendix A and Appendix D. I think Appendix D means those companies who can't bid on the project but not sure.

CAPITAL REGIONAL DISTRICT REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS –  RFQ NO. RSCL-100 RESIDUAL SOLIDS CONVEYANCE LINE

APPENDIX A – SCOPE OF WORK9 RFQ No. RSCL-100

The following is a summary only and may be subject to change.  The scope of work will be described in greater detail during the RFP stage. A.1   Residual Solids Pipes and Pump Stations Background The CRD is now underway in the implementation of the Program, which will provide tertiary treatment for wastewater  from  the  core  area  municipalities  of  Victoria,  Esquimalt,  Saanich,  Oak  Bay,  View  Royal, Langford and Colwood, and the Esquimalt and Songhees Nations. The Project is part of the Program.

This Project includes a 250 mm diameter RSF that will convey residual solids approximately 18.2km from the McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant to the Residuals Treatment Facility located on the northern portion of the Hartland Landfill site. Four pump stations are required along the RSF alignment and will be included in the Project’s scope.

A 300mm diameter CRL will parallel the RSF and convey centrate back to the Marigold Pump Station. The Contractor will be required to work closely with the design-build contractors at both the McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant and the Residuals Treatment Facility to coordinate tie-in details and construction staging.

It is expected that the Project will require multiple construction crews working simultaneously in order to meet the timelines of the overall Program. The pipe alignment runs through multiple municipal jurisdictions, high-traffic urban and rural roads, popular walking and cycling paths (i.e. Interurban Rail Trail), and rural residential areas with groundwater wells.  

The Work will be required to account for the environmental and archaeological conditions.  A.2   General Scope of Work Outline  The Work will include but not be limited to:    

Installation  of  approximately  18.2km  of  250  mm  HDPE  residuals solids  forcemain  and appurtenances between the McLoughlin Wastewater Treatment Plant and the Residuals Treatment Facility at Hartland Landfill.    

Installation  of  approximately  11.9km  of  300mm  HDPE  centrate  return  line,  generally  twinned alongside the RSF alignment, conveying liquids removed at the Residual Treatment Facility and landfill leachate back to Marigold Pump Station.    

Construction  of  four  pump  stations  along  the  RSF  route  including  offsite  utility  coordination including extension of BC Hydro services to the pump stations.   

Two suspended bridge crossings (Tillicum and Admirals).   

Coordination and completion of tie-ins at the contract limits with design-builders at both ends of the alignment, as well as at the Marigold Pump Station.    

Excavation, blasting and rock removal, including disposal of surplus material in accordance with applicable  regulations.  The  Contractor  will  be  expected  to  incorporate  shoring  techniques  to minimize the required trench width.   

All utility locates, pre-digs, and coordination with utility agencies (BC Hydro, Fortis, Telus, City of Victoria, etc.)   

All civil, landscaping and surface drainage works associated with the Project to restore to pre-construction conditions.    

Construction  through  known  archaeologically  sensitive  areas  and  coordination  with  CRD’s archaeological consultant throughout the Project.    

Traffic management and construction staging to coordinate with traffic periods and ongoing projects in the City of Victoria, Township of Esquimalt and District of Saanich.    

Phasing of material deliveries to minimize laydown area footprints and impacts along the alignment.    

Effective communication protocols for addressing public concerns and enquiries.      

Work within the Program’s overall schedule and mitigate any impacts that could potentially delay the Program delivery.    

Minimize impacts to the community (e.g. noise, dust, odour and access to driveways).   Commissioning  and  Acceptance  Testing,  including  demonstration of  performance  through  an acceptance test carried out over a continuous testing period.   

Warranty - The Construction Agreement is expected to have a 2 year warranty period.

APPENDIX D – RESTRICTED PARTIES 17 RFQ No. RSCL-100

At this RFQ stage, and without limiting the definition of Restricted Parties, the CRD has identified the following persons as Restricted Parties:

(a)    Deloitte LLP;

(b)    KPMG LLP;

©    Norton Rose Fulbright Canada LLP;

(d)    Bennett Jones LLP;

(e)    Stantec Consulting Inc.;

(f)    Parsons Inc.;

(g)    Kirk and Co.;

(h)    Jardine Lloyd Thompson Canada Inc.; and

(i)    the CRD, including its former and current directors, officers and employees who fall within the definition of Restricted Party.

This is not an exhaustive list of Restricted Parties. Additional persons, firms or organizations may be added to, or deleted from, the list during any stage of the Competitive Selection Process through an Addendum.  

#5140 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 February 2018 - 09:52 AM

How big is the Niagara pipe, John?

Who would win in a fight, Tinto Rocks or Niagara Pipe?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 20 February 2018 - 09:53 AM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users