Photo

Sewage treatment in Victoria | McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant

• Please log in to reply
5655 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost. (77 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost.

1. We need it and waited too long that is the cost of waiting too long! (65 votes [23.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.47%

2. Local, Provincial, and Federal politicians will find a way to help cut down the price to property owners. (3 votes [1.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.08%

3. Out of the question, too expensive for Greater Victoria. (122 votes [44.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.04%

4. It expensive, but if we do nothing costs will only rise. (20 votes [7.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.22%

5. We need to do it but greatly scale back the project. It has grwon out of hand. (34 votes [12.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.27%

6. No opinion, I do not know enough about the project to say of the costs are out of line or not. (33 votes [11.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#5261 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:40 AM

Couple of other developments:

CRD Request for Expressions of Interest (RFEOI) for Kitchen Scraps and Organics Residuals Processing Facility (probably at Hartland). Most of the key information about the project is on pages 7-9. The RFEOI pdf is on RITE Plan facebook files directory: https://lookaside.fb...UGnF7gxxi0zROvX

CRD RFQ for Biosolids Beneficial Reuse Services. Key information in the RFQ are Appendices A and F. CRD expects to select a shortlist of up to four Proponents to participate in the Request for Proposals stage of the competitive selection process. RFQ on RITE Plan file directory:  https://lookaside.fb...e5vb-P2dKJEF-bS

:)

#5262 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:34 PM

Another councilor takes a stand on a stand of trees and this time it is newcomer Ned Taylor in Saanich.  

Residents of a Saanich, B.C., neighbourhood are outraged over a plan that would see dozens of trees cut down on their leafy street.

The Capital Regional District (CRD) is installing a 19-kilometre pipe to convey residual solids from the new sewage treatment plant at McLoughlin Point in Esquimalt to the Hartland landfill in Saanich.

But people who live in the neighbourhood say they can't understand why their tree-lined street was chosen when construction could require the removal of 50 or more trees.

District of Saanich Coun. Ned Taylor is calling on project staff take another look at the route for the sewage pipe, and as a director representing Saanich on the CRD board, he plans to raise the issue.

"It is particularly concerning for me because we are potentially losing a good portion of our urban tree canopy," he said.

"I think we need to be taking a good hard look at some alternative routes."

Any changes to the plan will have to happen quickly. Construction on Grange Road is expected to begin in February or March.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...4933737?cmp=rss

#5263 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:34 PM

'Holy smokes, this is not going to happen': Saanich residents outraged over plan to remove dozens of trees

https://www.cbc.ca/n...-pipe-1.4933737

#5264 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 December 2018 - 03:43 PM

What if the sewage sludge line to Hartland breaks and pollutes the waterways?

Where are the First Nation pipeline protesters when you need them?

Think of the trees and the fish.

#5265 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 07:16 AM

Another councilor takes a stand on a stand of trees and this time it is newcomer Ned Taylor in Saanich.  

Oh to be young. The CRD will listen to Ned and take another look which will last about 15 seconds.

#5266 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:43 AM

Can't they just put the pipe under the road in the middle, scratch the plan for sidewalks, and leave the trees alone? Seems to me that would result in some root damage but the trees should be fine?

#5267 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:01 AM

...they can't understand why their tree-lined street was chosen when construction could require the removal of 50 or more trees.

Because Victoria?

#5268 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:06 PM

This whole goofy plan has been poorly thought out from the beginning.

Show me another facility anywhere on the planet that pipes their turds this far from the point of origin, processes said turds into sludge that they still haven’t figured out what to do with, and then pipe the leftovers right back from whence it came.

What did people think was going to happen when the diggers arrived?

Hell we just finished murdering a beautiful stand of trees along Douglas street so the riders in the xxxxxx xxxxxxx bus could shave 10 minutes off their commute.

Edit: I have removed a derogatory term in my post (and in RFS's quote below) that was harsh. RFS was correct and I was wrong to use that term. RFS's "harsh" comment was directed to my use of that term that was unflattering towards people who use public transport and not the destruction of the trees. I apologize for this indiscretion. 

• Nparker and Bingo like this

#5269 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 09:56 PM

Hell we just finished murdering a beautiful stand of trees along Douglas street so the riders in the xxxxxx xxxxxxx bus could shave 10 minutes off their commute.

Harsh

#5270 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:21 PM

Harsher

vka-trees-4666-jpg.jpg

https://www.timescol...idor-1.23167976

• Nparker and Bingo like this

#5271 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:28 PM

Folks are unhappy the old tree at Government and Wharf will be cut down to make way for the bike lane. Fort Street lost a bunch of trees for the bike lane, too.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5272 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 08:44 AM

The CRD's transportation planning committee's mission statement:

Making the planet greener, one dead tree at a time

• mbjj likes this

#5273 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 09:25 AM

Oh to be young. The CRD will listen to Ned and take another look which will last about 15 seconds.

Wow I didn't realize he got elected.  I was very mature at 19, but no where near ready to handle these responsibilities!  I see another councilor is 23!  Wow, what were people thinking

On the flip side I will say its good to get youth interested in municipal politics because I would guess anyone under 35 rarely even votes in municipal elections

#5274 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 09:26 AM

Can't they just put the pipe under the road in the middle, scratch the plan for sidewalks, and leave the trees alone? Seems to me that would result in some root damage but the trees should be fine?

Probably because the middle of the street is clogged with other utlities - gas, water, sewer, storm, etc

• lanforod likes this

#5275 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:03 PM

Grange Road has needed a decent proper sidewalk for two decades.   As it stands, the lack of a sidewalk badly impacts the walkability of the neighbourhood.  

Losing a few trees along one side of part of the street is not something to get worked up about.   

#5276 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 December 2018 - 01:22 PM

Grange Road has needed a decent proper sidewalk for two decades.   As it stands, the lack of a sidewalk badly impacts the walkability of the neighbourhood.  

Losing a few trees along one side of part of the street is not something to get worked up about.   

Probably best to let the folks who live on Grange Road speak for their street, their sidewalk, and their trees?

The Mayor is now involved, and has pretty much made clear that Saanich won't be permitting any trees to get cut down on Grange, a street with one of the oldest tree canopies in all of suburban Saanich. He went on to note that Saanich will require that the ****-pipe either go down the centre of Grange, or be moved over to Marigold ... either scenario of which doesn't involve cutting down any trees.

BTW, the Grange Road sidewalk is just fine in the eyes of the folks who actually live on Grange, and the hundreds of kids who use it every day to get too and from school. No local residents asked for, and no local residents want a "new sidewalk" to improve the walkability for anybody ... especially folks who don't live on, or anywhere near Grange Road.

Considering that this pipe is a total joke, the last thing the CRD needs is a huge local protest against cutting down 50 trees in order to lay a pointless pipeline that will, in all likelihood, never get used to any quantifiable potential ... if indeed it ever gets used at all.

• Hotel Mike and todd like this

#5277 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,347 posts

Posted 05 January 2019 - 05:42 PM

The installation of the pipe along Dallas Road from Clover Point to Ogden Point is anticipated to begin Jan. 7.

Work will start at each end of the pipe and will be completed in sections, starting with the stretch from Niagara Street to Dock Street (Section 1) and Clover Point to Cook Street (Section 7).

#5278 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 05 January 2019 - 05:45 PM

With the 10 minute one-way, one lane only wait times going on for the last week or so on Dallas Road around Dock, Oswego and down towards the Coast Guard base ... it would seem that they're already well underway.

Edited by Cassidy, 05 January 2019 - 05:45 PM.

#5279 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:48 AM

From the "news that will shock no one" file:

It’s unlikely the Capital Regional District’s $765-million sewage-treatment mega-project will be completed on budget...Senior governments have committed up to $459 million to the project with local taxpayers responsible for $306 million. Local taxpayers are responsible for any additional costs....the board has seen increases in the costs of material and labour, and increases related to design changes ...KWL [Consulting Engineers] is also to report on the “utility value” of project elements that have not been contracted yet to determine if all of it is necessary, he said. “As a consequence of that study we may or we may not, I don’t know, come to the conclusion that some of that infrastructure could be deferred.

https://www.timescol...runs-1.23605633

Design changes while the project is well underway. Does this remind anyone of another recent local infrastructure project? And like that other project, elements we've been promised likely won't even be part of the finished product. 

• A Girl is No one likes this

#5280 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 19 January 2019 - 11:11 AM

From the "news that will shock no one" file:

Design changes while the project is well underway. Does this remind anyone of another recent local infrastructure project? And like that other project, elements we've been promised likely won't even be part of the finished product. 

As I said at the time, as soon as Jane Bird quit we knew the project was going off the rails. She obviously didn't want the taint on her resume.

Of course Desjardins has nothing to say and Helps tells us that this is all perfectly normal.

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users