Photo

Sewage treatment in Victoria | McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant

• Please log in to reply
5669 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost. (77 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost.

1. We need it and waited too long that is the cost of waiting too long! (65 votes [23.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.47%

2. Local, Provincial, and Federal politicians will find a way to help cut down the price to property owners. (3 votes [1.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.08%

3. Out of the question, too expensive for Greater Victoria. (122 votes [44.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.04%

4. It expensive, but if we do nothing costs will only rise. (20 votes [7.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.22%

5. We need to do it but greatly scale back the project. It has grwon out of hand. (34 votes [12.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.27%

6. No opinion, I do not know enough about the project to say of the costs are out of line or not. (33 votes [11.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#5561 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 11:38 AM

It's a good question.   Is the Lefarge set-up our only option?

I thought that the issue was with the CRD not being able to size and dry the pellets properly so that Lafarge could use them. The article makes it sound like Lafarge has the issue.

#5562 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 11:39 AM

Dude. Hartland is like 5km from the ocean. Straight down hill. I don’t think you understand the gravity of the situation with remarks like that.

Two kilometres up from Tod Inlet. I used to go canoeing a lot in Tod and found the shallow near-shore inlet sediment was totally grey and thought it might have come from Hartland but it came from the cement factory that was there before Butchart Gardens.

Attached Images

• Screenshot 2022-11-18 11.29.01.png

• Mike K. likes this
:)

#5563 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 12:07 PM

Here’s one product: https://www.milorganite.com/

“…….Our sewage system was built to collect almost everything that goes down the drain, which creates a dangerous cocktail of domestic, commercial, hospital, industry and street run-off sources of sewage and septic sludges. As a result of this diverse array of sources, it is very difficult to separate harmful toxins from useful soil amendments…..”

“……What was difficult to accept was that there is no simple way to separate the good from the bad. “Treating” biosolids involves adding more toxins to the mix to remove pathogens, but you can’t treat the 60,000 other pollutants that find their way into the end product.……..”: https://dogwoodbc.ca/news/biosolids/

Would you use it?

#5564 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 12:26 PM

Ask this fella.
attachicon.gif floatie.jpg

Filthy piece of ****

https://youtu.be/0-waLIQnTYY

#5565 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 08:39 AM

I knew Mike K. would slip up eventually.

Dang it!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5566 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 08:43 AM

“…….Our sewage system was built to collect almost everything that goes down the drain, which creates a dangerous cocktail of domestic, commercial, hospital, industry and street run-off sources of sewage and septic sludges. As a result of this diverse array of sources, it is very difficult to separate harmful toxins from useful soil amendments…..”

“……What was difficult to accept was that there is no simple way to separate the good from the bad. “Treating” biosolids involves adding more toxins to the mix to remove pathogens, but you can’t treat the 60,000 other pollutants that find their way into the end product.……..”: https://dogwoodbc.ca/news/biosolids/

Would you use it?

Absolutely.

See what your dish soap is made out of. Or what you brush your teeth with, or what the air freshener in your car fills your cabin with.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5567 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 09:59 AM

Sewage sludge incineration is one option. Excerpt and generalized incinerator diagram from a US EPA pamphlet 2012

EPA requires that  an  incinerator  can  destroy  and  remove  at  least 99.99 percent of each harmful chemical in the waste it processes. When some extremely harmful chemicals are  present,  EPA  requires  that  an  incinerator  show  it can  destroy  and  remove  at  least  99.9999  percent  of contaminants in the waste. Ash remaining at the bottom of the combustion chambers likely will require disposal in a hazardous waste landfill. 

- Excerpt from "A citizens guide to incineration" https://www.epa.gov/...ncineration.pdf

Attached Images

• Screenshot 2022-11-19 09.57.23.png

• todd likes this
:)

#5568 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 10:46 AM

Absolutely.

See what your dish soap is made out of. Or what you brush your teeth with, or what the air freshener in your car fills your cabin with.

I think they’re all sewage free: I use seven generations dish soap, alcohol sprayed as an air freshener/uv light sometimes peppermint essential oils or perhaps lavender, toothpaste I always rinse and spit thoroughly

Always investigate the product and company stay away from brands with sketchy ingredients and “trade secrets”

Wouldn’t you rather use a compost not made of human organic matter/random, maybe you wouldn’t need the air freshener :)

Sorry I only use manure from grass fed animals even at that I try to avoid, I suppose if a human did

Edited by todd, 19 November 2022 - 11:06 AM.

#5569 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 19 November 2022 - 11:28 AM

Sewage sludge incineration is one option. Excerpt and generalized incinerator diagram from a US EPA pamphlet 2012

EPA requires that  an  incinerator  can  destroy  and  remove  at  least 99.99 percent of each harmful chemical in the waste it processes. When some extremely harmful chemicals are  present,  EPA  requires  that  an  incinerator  show  it can  destroy  and  remove  at  least  99.9999  percent  of contaminants in the waste. Ash remaining at the bottom of the combustion chambers likely will require disposal in a hazardous waste landfill. 

- Excerpt from "A citizens guide to incineration" https://www.epa.gov/...ncineration.pdf

What is in the remaining part of a percent?

#5570 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 20 November 2022 - 06:58 PM

I think they’re all sewage free: I use seven generations dish soap, alcohol sprayed as an air freshener/uv light sometimes peppermint essential oils or perhaps lavender, toothpaste I always rinse and spit thoroughly

Always investigate the product and company stay away from brands with sketchy ingredients and “trade secrets”

Wouldn’t you rather use a compost not made of human organic matter/random, maybe you wouldn’t need the air freshener :)

Sorry I only use manure from grass fed animals even at that I try to avoid, I suppose if a human did

If you think using fertilizer from sewage plants is bad, wait’ll I tell you about some of the water purification systems out there!

Know it all.

#5571 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 November 2022 - 08:38 PM

If you think using fertilizer from sewage plants is bad, wait’ll I tell you about some of the water purification systems out there!

yeah but Sooke/Goldstream are somewhat decent

#5572 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,980 posts

Posted 25 December 2022 - 08:16 PM

The Capital Regional District is advising residents to avoid entering the waters between Hollywood Place and Cook Street including Clover Point due to wastewater overflows. Melting snow and rainfall has caused combined storm water and wastewater overflows along some shorelines in Greater Victoria on Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, posing a health risk.

https://www.timescol...oreline-6297629

• todd likes this

#5573 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 25 December 2022 - 08:29 PM

^

E1A58A2E-7E8B-49D8-A3D4-236F81C620E9.gif

• Nparker likes this

#5574 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 01:09 PM

I had no idea, I don’t think, that this was in the works. Sparky were you aware of this?

From the CRD:

At the close of the deadline of 12 pm (Noon) January 23, 2023 for receipt of elector responses, it was determined that two elector response forms had been accepted. As this represents less than 10% of registered votes, elector assent was obtained. The next step is for the bylaw to be considered for final adoption at the CRD Board meeting on February 8, 2023

Overview
At the October 12, 2022 Board meeting of the Capital Regional District ("CRD"), the following bylaw received three readings:

Bylaw No. 4515, “Solid Waste Disposal Loan Authorization Bylaw No. 1, 2022” to authorize the borrowing of thirty six million dollars ($36,000,000) for the purpose of acquiring, designing and constructing solid waste facilities and site improvements at the Hartland Landfill site, construction of remote transfer stations and all related ancillary works and equipment.
Bylaw Synopsis
Bylaw No. 4515 would authorize the borrowing of thirty-six million dollars ($36,000,000) for the purpose of acquiring, designing and constructing solid waste facilities and site improvements at the Hartland Landfill site, construction of remote transfer stations and all related ancillary works and equipment. The debt servicing costs will be recovered through the tipping fees at Hartland Landfill site over a period of 15 years. The solid waste disposal local service area applies to all municipalities and electoral areas of the CRD, including Central Saanich, Colwood, Esquimalt, Highlands, Langford, Metchosin, North Saanich, Oak Bay, Saanich, Sidney, Sooke, Victoria, View Royal, and the Electoral Areas of Juan de Fuca, Salt Spring Island, and Southern Gulf Islands.

Please note that this synopsis of Bylaw No. 4515 is not intended to be or understood as an interpretation of the bylaw. A copy of the complete bylaw and this notice may be viewed at Capital Regional District offices located at 625 Fisgard Street, Victoria, BC from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays).

Alternative Approval Process
The CRD may proceed with Bylaw No. 4515 unless at least 33,208 electors within the Capital Regional District indicate, by signing the elector response form, that the Board must obtain the assent of the electors by way of an assent vote (referendum) before proceeding.

The Alternative Approval Process opportunity applies to all municipalities and electoral areas of the CRD, including Central Saanich, Colwood, Esquimalt, Highlands, Langford, Metchosin, North Saanich, Oak Bay, Saanich, Sidney, Sooke, Victoria, View Royal, and the Electoral Areas of Juan de Fuca, Salt Spring Island, and Southern Gulf Islands.

Elector response forms may be obtained at the CRD Headquarters, 625 Fisgard Street, Victoria from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm, Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays) until 12pm on January 23, 2023.

Deadline for Submitting an Electoral Response Form
The deadline for submitting signed elector response forms, in relation to Bylaw No. 4515, to the CRD is 12pm (noon) on Monday, January 23, 2023. Forms must be received by the deadline to be counted.

Elector Qualifications
Resident Elector: You are entitled to submit an elector response form as a Resident Elector if you are 18 years or older on the date of submission of the elector response form, are a Canadian citizen, have resided in British Columbia for at least 6 months and currently reside in the CRD prior to signing the elector response form.

Non-Resident Property Elector: You may submit an elector response form as a Non-Resident Property Elector if you are 18 years or older on the date of submission of the elector response form, are a Canadian citizen, have resided in British Columbia for 6 months, have owned and held registered title to property in the CRD for 30 days and do NOT qualify as a Resident Elector. If there is more than one registered owner of the property (either as joint tenants or tenants in common) only one individual may, with the written consent of the majority, submit an elector response form.

Know it all.

#5575 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 01:13 PM

The Alternative Approval Process is BS.

#5576 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 04:11 PM

^^ Nope. Another CRD best kept secret.

• Teardrop likes this

#5577 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,527 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 05:33 PM

Apparently two people knew. What’s your excuse??

Know it all.

#5578 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,980 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 05:40 PM

Apparently two people knew. What’s your excuse??

Two people objected.  I knew.  So that's at least three.

https://www.vicnews....ose-population/

The Capital Regional District board on Dec. 14 approved using the alternate approval process for its regional Canada Goose management service and borrowing $36 million for projects in its five-year solid waste plan.

Both initiatives will go ahead unless at least 10 per cent of the region’s eligible electorate (33,208 residents) indicate they would instead want the board to hold a referendum before proceeding.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 January 2023 - 05:42 PM.

#5579 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,726 posts

Posted 24 January 2023 - 06:32 PM

I am sure the electorate of the CRD had nothing else going on in their lives in mid-December. Short of regularly visiting the CRD's website and reading board minutes was the public informed of this in any way? I certainly never received any sort of notification.

#5580 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,980 posts

Posted 25 January 2023 - 04:23 PM

CRD landfilled almost nine times as much treated sewage as it’s supposed to in 2022

Directors defy staff on short-term contingency plan, will keep landfilling if board approves

https://www.vicnews....sed-to-in-2022/

• Matt R. likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users