Photo

Sewage treatment in Victoria | McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant

• Please log in to reply
5673 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost. (77 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost.

1. We need it and waited too long that is the cost of waiting too long! (65 votes [23.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.47%

2. Local, Provincial, and Federal politicians will find a way to help cut down the price to property owners. (3 votes [1.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.08%

3. Out of the question, too expensive for Greater Victoria. (122 votes [44.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.04%

4. It expensive, but if we do nothing costs will only rise. (20 votes [7.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.22%

5. We need to do it but greatly scale back the project. It has grwon out of hand. (34 votes [12.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.27%

6. No opinion, I do not know enough about the project to say of the costs are out of line or not. (33 votes [11.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#5081 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 11:36 PM

Excerpts:

Excerpts:
To say that the topic of microplastic particles is controversial is an understatement. There is growing concern over the accumulation of microplastic particles in the environment. 
...Although certain groups, such as the story of stuff project are actively fighting to make microparticles in cosmetics obsolete, the actual impact of the microbeads on aquatic wildlife or the environment is not known. 
So, it is easy to understand why the first report of microplastic particles having a negative effect on fish would gain a lot of attention in the media.
...But, for the moment, we will have to hold off on making conclusions about how microbeads are harming fish.

- "Paper Scandal At Science? Microbeads Lying In The Weeds, And A Stolen Computer"   https://www.acsh.org...-computer-10529

So what are you proposing to correct this?

#5082 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 15 December 2017 - 06:15 AM

So what are you proposing to correct this?

Better science reporting seems to be LeMieux's first message and better (or more) unbiased research on microplastics' impact on the ocean environment is another.

:)

#5083 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:42 AM

Didn't Helps champion IRM against the wishes of other Mayor's and the CRD? Now, after attending a seminar, she has changed her mind and wants to lead the charge against it?

http://www.timescolo...says-1.23139189

#5084 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 07:47 AM

The city’s climate leadership plan says that by 2050 only five per cent of everything city residents and businesses consume will end up in a landfill and the remaining 95 per cent will be rethought, reduced, recycled or recovered on the road to zero waste.

http://www.timescolo...says-1.23139189

Now, I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt.  But let's see other cities in the first world that are ahead of us on this pace.  If there are zero, as I suspect there are, let's not pretend we are going to be the #1 world leader.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5085 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:27 AM

I'm either thick, or I don't understand exactly what it is she's saying.

Currently, the plan is to pipe the wet sewage to Hartland Road for treatment (the IRM plan?)

Does her comment in today's paper mean that the wet sewage will no longer be piped to Hartland?

Will there be any sort of pipe to Hartland?

Or does this latest comment from Helps Mean the sludge from the treatment plant is handled completely differently?

Edited by Cassidy, 09 January 2018 - 09:27 AM.

#5086 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 09:31 AM

Currently, the plan is to pipe the wet sewage to Hartland Road for treatment (the IRM plan?)

Does her comment in today's paper mean that the wet sewage will no longer be piped to Hartland?

Or does this latest comment from Helps Mean the sludge from the treatment plant is handled completely differently?

What she seems to be saying is that there are pending issues with costs and/or delivery with the sewage treatment plan as proposed and thus she wants to make sure that she leaves herself an exit that she can later point to.

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan and A Girl is No one like this

#5087 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:23 AM

Ignore her comments as it is just another deflection to get everyone's mind off of the bridge issues and Dallas Road bike lanes.

I expect to hear all sorts of this bafflegab right up to the fall election.

#5088 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:29 AM

What she seems to be saying is that there are pending issues with costs and/or delivery with the sewage treatment plan as proposed and thus she wants to make sure that she leaves herself an exit that she can later point to.

Lets have another study and spend a few million more, and I think seagull poop should figure into this equation, but not sure if the technology is available yet.

• todd likes this

#5089 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 11:46 AM

The article linked above includes this statement

Further, she said, adopting the course being recommended by herself and staff will allow the CRD to stop shipping collected kitchen scraps to Delta at $114 a tonne for processing as is currently done.

The entire CRD does not ship their kitchen scraps Delta. Saanich ships it to D&L Bins on Oldfield Road. (I just got off the phone with them and confirmed this)

When Frank heard there was a limit as to how much D&L could take, he broke ranks with his CRD team mates and cut his own deal. He beat everyone else to the punch so to speak and then the Saanich voters punched him back.

We take a higher road than that out here in the sticks......even when it comes to getting rid of our garbage. 

• Bingo likes this

#5090 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:23 PM

Yeah, I don't think that's why Frank was ousted.

#5091 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 09 January 2018 - 12:48 PM

^ But it was a perfect example of how he did business.

#5092 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,146 posts

Posted 10 January 2018 - 02:53 PM

Getting back to the recent topic about The TC article where Helps say she has concerns about too many unknowns during this procurement stage....she is bang on.

I am glad that someone....anyone... has brought up this asinine issue and it would appear from the article that the "preferred proponent" has a better idea.

Look, nowhere have I seen a business case study where the math has been presented where we show the cost of building and operating the longest sewage pipeline known to man. We then take the calculated annual benefit in dollars and divide that into the cost in order to determine the break even point. (and hopefully determine which century that would land in) 

Has anyone seen anything that resembles a cost benefit analysts like this? 

Shouldn't this be the first step?  

• Hotel Mike likes this

#5093 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 January 2018 - 09:48 AM

Getting back to the recent topic about The TC article where Helps say she has concerns about too many unknowns during this procurement stage....she is bang on.

I am glad that someone....anyone... has brought up this asinine issue and it would appear from the article that the "preferred proponent" has a better idea.

Look, nowhere have I seen a business case study where the math has been presented where we show the cost of building and operating the longest sewage pipeline known to man. We then take the calculated annual benefit in dollars and divide that into the cost in order to determine the break even point. (and hopefully determine which century that would land in) 

Has anyone seen anything that resembles a cost benefit analysts like this? 

Shouldn't this be the first step?  

The pipeline has always been an absurd idea.

Rather than piping sludge to Hartland when some miracle solution could be found elsewhere, why not look no further than McLoughlin Point.

Why not put the wharf back in place at McLoughlin along with a breakwater if necessary, and load the sludge onto barges to be sent to whatever facility can take care of business. 

Oil storage at McLoughlin Pt.

McLoughlin Point oils storage.jpg

#5094 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 13 January 2018 - 12:28 PM

Excerpt:

“We invested years of our own time and our staff’s time to look at a better way of doing these things,” he said. “We were on the verge of doing it, and it is all blowing up today, and I am embarrassed to sit here and I can’t believe it is really happening this way. It is really quite shocking.”

- Saanich mayor trashes CRD decision on waste management:

https://www.saanichn...ste-management/

Edited by JohnN, 13 January 2018 - 12:28 PM.

• Matt R. likes this
:)

#5095 Citified.ca

Citified.ca
  • Administrator
  • 2,290 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 03 February 2018 - 08:06 AM

Construction-of-McLoughlin-Point-Wastewater-Treatment-Plant-ramps-up.jpg

A construction crane has been erected at the site of Victoria's McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant along the shores of Esquimalt. Crews will soon begin erecting the actual sewage treatment facility.

Construction of McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant ramps up

https://victoria.cit...plant-ramps-up/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5096 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 09:31 AM

June 2018

Impacts on Niagara Street will occur over about a month.

Specifically:•Niagara Street will be used to assemble the pipe that will be pulled through the directional drill passage between Ogden Point and McLoughlin Point. •Assembling the pipe involves delivery of the pipe segments, which will be laid along one side of the street, and welding the pipe together. There is no digging required on Niagara Street.•A portion of Niagara Street will be temporarily closed to general traffic for about a month while the pipe is assembled. We will do everything possible to ensure local traffic has continued access. Residents will have pedestrian access to their homes at all times.•The Project will coordinate with emergency services and there will be a first responder emergency services access plan in place. Emergency services will have access to all homes at all times.

27657965_1799828116703519_75849026757212

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5097 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 02:20 PM

It looks like the pipe will need to be flexible to go around that bend. Or will they weld it as they push it through?

#5098 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 February 2018 - 02:21 PM

Are they using the bridge welders or local folks.  No bolted on plates I hope?

#5099 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 05:16 PM

McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant  - Coming Soon

IMG_8814.JPG

#5100 LJ

LJ
  • 12,741 posts

Posted 05 February 2018 - 07:29 PM

They're keeping our eyes on the JSB fiasco hoping we wont notice this next boondoggle.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users